Best Coaches in Nashville; Public & Private

BigENS

Private: Anglin at MBA is an awesome coach. Bontrager (sp?) at Father Ryan is a defensive genius. Pierce at FRA has a very nice program. Sonn at USN has had a very impressive stretch his first two years. Maddux over at CPA is a good coach but has alot of the same tendencies that the head coach/A.D./face of Ensworth has.

Public: Coach at Overton (name?) runs a good program. Shelton at MLK has been around forever so will probably be in several conversations. The problem with several public school teams is that their coach is only there for the stipend and could care less about coaching.

On a sidenote, for future posters, the thread is about the best coaches. Bowers should not beanywhere in this discussion. He is a phenomenal recruiter but I would say is lacking when it comes to x's and o's.

On a sidenote, for future posters, the thread is about the best coaches. Bowers should not be anywhere in this discussion. He is a phenomenal recruiter but I would say is lacking when it comes to x's and o's.

What is your definition of "BEST"? A player coach who just "coaches for the kids" and wins half the games every year? A coach that screams at the players, lacks discipline and has no relationship with his players, but makes playoffs?

Not sure what you mean when you say Bowers lacks X's and O's.

This season EHS 17-2, favored to win state.

Last season EHS 23-4, lost in state semi-finals

Year prior, EHS 27-4, State Champs.

Even if you have great players, they are still 16-18 year olds that need to be coached.

You put the 5 best players together in any region and there is no guarantee they will be successful without a good coach.

I'm not a Bowers supporter but he does have the X's and O's.

Private: Anglin at MBA is an awesome coach. Bontrager (sp?) at Father Ryan is a defensive genius. Pierce at FRA has a very nice program. Sonn at USN has had a very impressive stretch his first two years. Maddux over at CPA is a good coach but has alot of the same tendencies that the head coach/A.D./face of Ensworth has.

Public: Coach at Overton (name?) runs a good program. Shelton at MLK has been around forever so will probably be in several conversations. The problem with several public school teams is that their coach is only there for the stipend and could care less about coaching.

On a sidenote, for future posters, the thread is about the best coaches. Bowers should not beanywhere in this discussion. He is a phenomenal recruiter but I would say is lacking when it comes to x's and o's.

I beg to differ with you on Bowers' coaching. 3 state titles with teams that differed greatly in their strengths and weaknesses. Beat BA for the title when they had David Harrison (7 footer, future NBA player)-- and that MBA team didn't have anybody over 6'5"-- maybe 6'4", I can't remember. The Ensworth state title team a few years ago had good talent, but not much size --- and every one of those players improved hugely in their time at Ensworth. For example, Miles Asafo Adjae was no college prospect when he started Ensworth, but he got some decent minutes on an NCAA tournament team as a freshman at Cornell last year and will probably start for them this year.He would tell you that he's a much better player as a result of Ricky's coaching. 2 or 3 of the starters (and at least 4 maybe 5 guys who play serious minutes) on this years Ensworth team entered Ensworth at age 5 and live within 2 miles of the Ensworth lower school. Not the age or the neighborhood where a "great recruiter" would be likely to focus much attention. Again, I think all of those players would tell you that Ricky is a great teacher and has been a major factor in their growth as players. It's not surprising that Ricky is such a good teacher of the game of basketball--- after all he played 4 years for Don Meyer-- one of the most renowned teachers of basketball in the world-- and was an NAIA All American in the bargain. Over the years his players have consistently gotten better while playing for him and he has consistently gotten the best out whatever talent his teams have had. His teams have always spread the ball, and the scoring around-- he's never had one stud who did all the scoring-- instead he's had unselfish, well drilled teams that play together on offense and play great defense. His teams often out rebound much bigger teams-- because they blockout on defense and crash the boards on offense. If there's a better description of a well coached basketball team, I don't know what it is. Watch the game a little more carefully the next time you see Ensworth play and you'll see what I'm talking about-- that is if you have the faintest idea what to look for.

i vote on all the bleacher coaches.they know it all.never seen them make a mistake.you know the ones i'm talking about,you hear them bellowing over the entire croud!

I pay to get in...and coach like a fool when there's obvious incompetence on the 'real' bench! Sorry if that's offensive, but players that practice hard, hate losing and hustle deserve good, passionate and competent coaches.

...BUT THE BEST COACH IN NASHVILLE EVER WAS RAN OFF BOB WARD, THAT COACHED AT GREENBRIER. REALLY KNEW THE GAME OF BASKETBALL AND HAD SOME OF THE BEST INBOUND PLAYS EVER... JUST A GREAT COACH.

Boy, it took some g's to say this! Don't know what the problem was - probably just didn't suck-up enough or kiss the right rear-end...or wasn't from 'round here, HaHAAA - but, I AGREE, as far as a game/floor coach. He was just too talented for such a small-thinking program/administration and did more with less than any coach in school history.