Tri-County Seven

coachh17

Not sure where you are getting the Elizabethton 30+ win over Greeneville. According to the scores on CoachT Elizabethton beat Greeneville by 10 and 16. That is not even 30 points if you combine the 2 games. As for the situation at Happy Valley you are right that those games are set by Happy Valley. When the original schedule for the Thanksgiving games at Happy Valley came out it had Science Hill and Elizabethton scheduled to play on Friday night. Only after Elizabethton complained about the schedule did it get changed so that they did not have to play Science Hill, so it is not speculation on who does not want to play.

There wasn't a 30 point win for EHS in these match-ups. However, at Greeneville EHS came out and played as poorly as they have all year and was down 11-0 early. It was pretty impressive to come back and win by 10 on their floor after being down that big early. The 16 point game at EHS was not that close. EHS went out 19-2 and was up big most of the way (it was close to 30 at one point). EHS sputtered some in the second half and Greeneville narrowed the margin with the help of a 17-2 free throw advantage. Regardless, it all boils down to how a particular team plays on a given night. Ask last year's EHS team. They lost in the regional semi-finals to a good Greeneville team, but that was not a game EHS should have lost. I'm sure the folks at Greeneville may disagree, but most people familiar with both teams would support my position. When tournament time rolls around, you don't have to be the best team - just the best on a particular day. My two cents...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where you are getting the Elizabethton 30+ win over Greeneville. According to the scores on CoachT Elizabethton beat Greeneville by 10 and 16. That is not even 30 points if you combine the 2 games. As for the situation at Happy Valley you are right that those games are set by Happy Valley. When the original schedule for the Thanksgiving games at Happy Valley came out it had Science Hill and Elizabethton scheduled to play on Friday night. Only after Elizabethton complained about the schedule did it get changed so that they did not have to play Science Hill, so it is not speculation on who does not want to play.

I had not meant to put 30+ but 15+ (got caught up in the bowl game). You must have responded before I made the change (it did not show your reply when I did make the change or I would have said something sooner). As for Elizabethton changing the game I do believe their football team was in the playoffs and they didn't want to play that night not that they didn't want to play SH. Sparky can correct me if I'm wrong. The game with Greeneville again is only a tool to form a opinion, which I stated mine. Science Hill depends a lot on pressure (which they do a good job) but with Elizabethton's ability to handle the ball I think it would be a poor "matchup" (as sparky would say) for the Hill. Sure anything could happen but given they play 10 times I believe Elizabethton would win at least 8. Again my opinion.....

Edited by screenandroll

I had not meant to put 30+ but 15+ (got caught up in the bowl game). You must have responded before I made the change (it did not show your reply when I did make the change or I would have said something sooner). As for Elizabethton changing the game I do believe their football team was in the playoffs and they didn't want to play that night not that they didn't want to play SH. Sparky can correct me if I'm wrong. The game with Greeneville again is only a tool to form a opinion, which I stated mine. Science Hill depends a lot on pressure (which they do a good job) but with Elizabethton's ability to handle the ball I think it would be a poor "matchup" (as sparky would say) for the Hill. Sure anything could happen but given they play 10 times I believe Elizabethton would win at least 8. Again my opinion.....

I'm not sure if Elizabethton fans don't know the truth or just don't want to know the truth. Your reason about why Elizabethton did not want to play Science Hill was because it was on Friday night and the Elizabethton football team was playing. That would be a great reason except for the fact that Elizabethton did play on Friday night at Happy Valley against Morristown West. Not sure why Elizabethton is concerned about playing Science Hill but there is some concern there or they would have played at some point over the last 3 years. Sparky stated that over the last 2 years it was because the boys did not want to play Science Hill but Science Hill girls have tried to schedule just a girls game for Hall of Champions or regular season and have had no luck. So whatever the reason there is something that keeps Elizabethton from wanting to play Science Hill and we can all only guess what that something may be, but I think we all know.

I think its interesting that both starting pt. guards for SH and Elizabethton came from Cloudland. It goes to show there is a talent pool here in Roan Mt. I've known miss Goodman since she was in 6th grade up here. I knew she was going to be good, but I'd never have dreamed she would have gotten this far being the starting pt. guard for such a large school. I'm proud of her. I never knew little Powell that well, but her success speaks for itself. Roan Mountain is proud of both these girls.

I'm not sure if Elizabethton fans don't know the truth or just don't want to know the truth. Your reason about why Elizabethton did not want to play Science Hill was because it was on Friday night and the Elizabethton football team was playing. That would be a great reason except for the fact that Elizabethton did play on Friday night at Happy Valley against Morristown West. Not sure why Elizabethton is concerned about playing Science Hill but there is some concern there or they would have played at some point over the last 3 years. Sparky stated that over the last 2 years it was because the boys did not want to play Science Hill but Science Hill girls have tried to schedule just a girls game for Hall of Champions or regular season and have had no luck. So whatever the reason there is something that keeps Elizabethton from wanting to play Science Hill and we can all only guess what that something may be, but I think we all know.

Like I said "correct me if I'm wrong"......since you seem to be tight with the program I would like to know a little more about them. Players, wins, style of play, etc....would be interesting to know. I know this thread is about the Tri-County seven but I'm sure we all like to know things about other teams.

I'm not afraid of the truth. Why don't you tell us the "truth" since you seem to have all the answers? I do agree this year it had nothing to do with the football game at Happy Valley. I certainly don't think it was because of being afraid of the competition. On the contrary, I'm pretty sure that's why EHS wanted to play MW - in case you've forgotten they finished #2 in the state last year. I can't say about this year because I haven't asked, but I find it hard to believe that "Science Hill girls have tried to schedule just girls game" during the past two years because I specifically asked the EHS AD last year about this subject due to concern about the weak schedule after the conference realignment. He didn't address HOC games but absolutely told me that SH girls wouldn't schedule EHS without scheduling a boys game which EHS was not willing to do. Take that for what it's worth...

I'm not afraid of the truth. Why don't you tell us the "truth" since you seem to have all the answers? I do agree this year it had nothing to do with the football game at Happy Valley. I certainly don't think it was because of being afraid of the competition. On the contrary, I'm pretty sure that's why EHS wanted to play MW - in case you've forgotten they finished #2 in the state last year. I can't say about this year because I haven't asked, but I find it hard to believe that "Science Hill girls have tried to schedule just girls game" during the past two years because I specifically asked the EHS AD last year about this subject due to concern about the weak schedule after the conference realignment. He didn't address HOC games but absolutely told me that SH girls wouldn't schedule EHS without scheduling a boys game which EHS was not willing to do. Take that for what it's worth...

We can continue to debate this topic and go back and forth for a long time. Elizabethton fans believe what they want to believe and Science Hill fans believe what they want to believe. We will probably never know the true answer to all these questions and the two schools may never play a real game. That is what makes this forum so much fun because we can give our opinions and debate some of the unanswerable questions. One final thought, Science Hill and Elizabethton did play a girls only game 4 or 5 years ago so I don't know if your answer to the question is correct either.

Victory - I agree we could debate this topic for a while and agree on some things and disagree on others. I think one thing we would definitely agree on is that both EHS and SH have top notch girls basketball programs that could benefit from playing each other. To me it is a win-win situation. First, it affords the opportunity to play great out of conference competition. Secondly, it provides the opportunity to rekindle a rivalry from years past when the schools were in the same conference. Finally, it creates the potential for a big gate for both schools.

For the record, I hope these teams will schedule each other in the future as I believe they are likely to be the elite programs in Upper East TN for several years to come. I mean no offense to any other programs in the area; but considering current underclassmen, freshmen and Jr High/Middle School talent; these two have the best prospects I've seen for the next 5 or 6 years. There are a couple of others that have the opportunity to be good during a given year, but I'm mainly talking about sustainment. My two cents...

Victory - I agree we could debate this topic for a while and agree on some things and disagree on others. I think one thing we would definitely agree on is that both EHS and SH have top notch girls basketball programs that could benefit from playing each other. To me it is a win-win situation. First, it affords the opportunity to play great out of conference competition. Secondly, it provides the opportunity to rekindle a rivalry from years past when the schools were in the same conference. Finally, it creates the potential for a big gate for both schools.

For the record, I hope these teams will schedule each other in the future as I believe they are likely to be the elite programs in Upper East TN for several years to come. I mean no offense to any other programs in the area; but considering current underclassmen, freshmen and Jr High/Middle School talent; these two have the best prospects I've seen for the next 5 or 6 years. There are a couple of others that have the opportunity to be good during a given year, but I'm mainly talking about sustainment. My two cents...

Very well said Sparky, and I agree with you 100%.

Please go back and look .Yes eliz was playing football that night BUT still ask 2 not play the hill they still played that friday the football team plyed.And to think eliz would beat them 8 out 10 times your looking through them eliz eyes, We played our worse game against greenville 2 of 22 3 point land down 13 2 and still won .WE go there friday so lets see what happens then. But just like in Duggers old days with the boys he Always dodged the good teams .Best of luck 2 the elizabethton team hope they win the GOLD BALL

Dugger has always dodged the better teams just ask the players that played on the boys teams that lost on purpose 2 stay out of DB or the HILLS bracket.To say the eliz girls would beat s hill 8 out 10 times NOBODY will no.I do think both teams would win at home.I have heard the same excuse that the boys didnt want to play must not like money always a great gate.Please dont think we played our best game against greenville was 2 of 22 from 3 point land and was down 13 2 .shot very bad.

Dugger has always dodged the better teams just ask the players that played on the boys teams that lost on purpose 2 stay out of DB or the HILLS bracket.To say the eliz girls would beat s hill 8 out 10 times NOBODY will no.I do think both teams would win at home.I have heard the same excuse that the boys didnt want to play must not like money always a great gate.Please dont think we played our best game against greenville was 2 of 22 from 3 point land and was down 13 2 .shot very bad.

I think the example you are using here is somewhat misleading. Regardless of what happened in the cases you are referring to above, that was a totally different dynamic as EHS was in the same conference with SH, DB, etc. during that time. Also, it's a total over simplification of the situation to claim that EHS didn't play SH this year because Dugger "always dodges the better teams." EHS scheduled Greeneville, South Greene and CAK this year for the express reason of strengthening the schedule by playing quality teams. We have played and beaten Tennessee High twice this year as well. I wish we would have played SH at HV instead of South. Regarding the GHS vs SH game, as I stated before, I don't think it's fair to assume an outcome between two teams that haven't played based solely on the scores against a common opponent. However, to imply screenandroll is looking at it through EHS eyes may be a little hypocritical. First, I don't think he/she is an EHS fan. Secondly, I'm quite sure your opinion on the subject is looking through SH eyes. I happen to share his/her opinion that EHS would beat the SH girls 8 of 10 times, but as you say, we will never know. Obviously, I'm looking at it through EHS eyes as well, but objectively I think superior guard play, more experience (4 srs & 1 jr starting) and superior defense gives EHS the edge in this matchup more often than not. I know SH can shoot, but EHS has some offensive fire power as well. Just my opinion - it's as good as anyone's I suppose.

Edited by etownsparky