STATE TEAMS

PUMMELKING

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost as easy as showing up for weigh ins at the cow palace and meeting weight.

My point is that every year the same D1 schools "qualify" 12-14 for the D1 tournament. It seems that these "qualifying" tournaments are not much different than D2 bringing their whole team. I realize and you should too, that D1 needs region tournaments to shrink the field....D2 doesn't. Put'em all together for individuals and see what happens.

A 2x Division 2 placewinner, was ranked 4th behind 3 kids that all dropped down to 130, didn't even qualify for Division 1 state in the Region 6 - 140 weight class.....

Harder to place, D2 OR D1? :roflol:

PRT iii :flower:

yeah, but you forgot to give a few very important facts. Like the fact that he hasn't been on the mat in a long time, and has been injured for most of the year. So I would think that plays a huge part of it.

Science Hill had 12....their 145 pounder could not wrestle due to injured knee at state duals......would have been 13

The 145 that wrestled in the regionals for us, Alex McKinney, is a great young man and a solid wrestler who had a bad day; he has been a solid and key performer for us all season long, and an exemplary team member for the past five years. He is one of those people who was in a backup role for four years; this was his first year as an every day guy, and he won 30 matches for us, which I think is excellent. He always tried to do what we asked of him, and I am proud of his effort this season. I am also disappointed that he will not be making the trip to state. I might also add that I never considered him a backup this year. We had three guys who rotated between 140 and 145, depending on the needs of the team.

Alex was a solid wrestler, and will be a good man. He sat in my classroom as well, and was an exemplary student. I will miss him, because he was always dependable and accepted and played his role on the team. That is more important to me than how many people we qualified for state.

I appreciate tnmatfan's interest in Science Hill wrestling, but he does not speak for our program. We have a tendency to focus on accomplishments sometimes instead of the real work of the sport, which is instilling in our people the lessons of wrestling so that they might apply them to all aspects of their lives and use them to be excellent human beings who make the world a better place. I am satisfied that Alex has learned those lessons.

I know this is off topic on this thread, but I did not want a less than fully informed poster to trivialize the importance to my team of a kid I have spent five years of my life with and respect a great deal.

Our backup 145 had a great tournament and senior season. He was 1 match from making the top 4 in the region and gave us great effort all weekend. We are proud of him and his willingness to step in and finish the tournament even though he was slightly injured on Friday night.

No doubt. I didn't mean for it to sound like a slam to the backup guy. SH has many backups that likely could have qualified. I just thought the missing kid was a little stronger wrestler and likely would have placed (if not won it). Hats off to the backup for a great effort. He can be proud.

The 145 that wrestled in the regionals for us, Alex McKinney, is a great young man and a solid wrestler who had a bad day; he has been a solid and key performer for us all season long, and an exemplary team member for the past five years. He is one of those people who was in a backup role for four years; this was his first year as an every day guy, and he won 30 matches for us, which I think is excellent. He always tried to do what we asked of him, and I am proud of his effort this season. I am also disappointed that he will not be making the trip to state. I might also add that I never considered him a backup this year. We had three guys who rotated between 140 and 145, depending on the needs of the team.

Alex was a solid wrestler, and will be a good man. He sat in my classroom as well, and was an exemplary student. I will miss him, because he was always dependable and accepted and played his role on the team. That is more important to me than how many people we qualified for state.

I appreciate tnmatfan's interest in Science Hill wrestling, but he does not speak for our program. We have a tendency to focus on accomplishments sometimes instead of the real work of the sport, which is instilling in our people the lessons of wrestling so that they might apply them to all aspects of their lives and use them to be excellent human beings who make the world a better place. I am satisfied that Alex has learned those lessons.

I know this is off topic on this thread, but I did not want a less than fully informed poster to trivialize the importance to my team of a kid I have spent five years of my life with and respect a great deal.

Coach, Great Post. Good folks don't loose,sometimes they just don't win.

Edited by Jackson

Wow great post. If you are a coach great job, but if you are a teacher, that is even better talking about him in the classroom.