Asking For Help

russianbear

The Red Bank Wrestling Team is asking for YOUR help.

Those not familiar with the Red Bank area in Chattanooga, TN, in the past 7 years, there have been major demographical changes. Currently 74% of the middle school students are on free or reduced lunch. High School enrollment has dropped from 1600 just 4 or 5 years ago to just under 720 today.

Unfotunately this directly affects all athletic programs. Hamilton County Schools provide ZERO funding for athletic activities as each sport is required to raise their own money. This includes everything from uniforms, to transportation, to entry fees.

This past weekend Red Bank High School qualified 4 wrestlers to this years state tournament in Franklin, TN.

They are Chris Palacio, 103lb SO 2nd place, Zach Sharp, 140 lb SO 3rd place, Logan Sharp, 145 JR, 1st place and Delvonte Colvin, 189lb SR, 4th place.

Based upon last years tournament, we are expecting to incur a cost of approximately $1,000 for these student athletes to participate in this years state tournament.

If you would be interested in sponsoring one of these student athletes, please let me know. All donations will go directly to funding these individuals and are tax deductable. Please let me know.

Thank you for caring,

Ben Reichel

Head Wrestling Coach, Red Bank High School

ben.reichel@yahoo.com or 423-432-2514

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Red Bank Wrestling Team is asking for YOUR help.

Those not familiar with the Red Bank area in Chattanooga, TN, in the past 7 years, there have been major demographical changes. Currently 74% of the middle school students are on free or reduced lunch. High School enrollment has dropped from 1600 just 4 or 5 years ago to just under 720 today.

Unfotunately this directly affects all athletic programs. Hamilton County Schools provide ZERO funding for athletic activities as each sport is required to raise their own money. This includes everything from uniforms, to transportation, to entry fees.

This past weekend Red Bank High School qualified 4 wrestlers to this years state tournament in Franklin, TN.

They are Chris Palacio, 103lb SO 2nd place, Zach Sharp, 140 lb SO 3rd place, Logan Sharp, 145 JR, 1st place and Delvonte Colvin, 189lb SR, 4th place.

Based upon last years tournament, we are expecting to incur a cost of approximately $1,000 for these student athletes to participate in this years state tournament.

If you would be interested in sponsoring one of these student athletes, please let me know. All donations will go directly to funding these individuals and are tax deductable. Please let me know.

Thank you for caring,

Ben Reichel

Head Wrestling Coach, Red Bank High School

ben.reichel@yahoo.com or 423-432-2514

I'm very pleased with the number of people who have shown interest in this. Kudo's to Leonard Henry, Craig McClure, Joe Blair, Barry Clark, Shane Turner, Don Elsea and an anonymous donor who have stepped up. We're over halfway there! Thank you.

Edited by russianbear

I hate to see a school with the rich wrestling tradition of Red Bank have to go through difficult times. The Memphis City Schools & Metro Nashville Public Schools have had to deal with these issues for many years. When the demographics of a school changes and students are rezoned the athletic department of the school often times will lose part if not all of their financial support system. I applaud those educators that work at the inner city schools because I for one could not take running into a brick wall every day.

I hate to see a school with the rich wrestling tradition of Red Bank have to go through difficult times. The Memphis City Schools & Metro Nashville Public Schools have had to deal with these issues for many years. When the demographics of a school changes and students are rezoned the athletic department of the school often times will lose part if not all of their financial support system. I applaud those educators that work at the inner city schools because I for one could not take running into a brick wall every day.

Luckily, wrestling is one sport where the expenses are minimal (comparatively speaking). It helps to teach a good lesson. "You don't have to be rich to succeed". Nothing replaces hard work. Though the financial situation is tough, Red Bank is still blessed with some good athletes. I think there's something in the water.

Edited by russianbear

THANK YOU RUSSIABEAR FOR CAREING AND WORKING WITH THE KIDS AT REDBANK. ALOT OF PEOPLE WOULD HAVE GIVEN UP ON THIS SITUATION. YOU ARE IN THE GREAT SPORT FOR THE "RIGHT REASONS".

THIS CAN BE A LESSON FOR ALL OF US. TIMES ARE TOUGH. MAKE SURE THAT THE PROGRAMS THAT YOU SUPPORT HAVE WHAT THEY NEED. PLEASE BE WILLING TO GIVE OF YOUR TIME AND MONEY TO THIS GREAT SPORT. ALL OF YOU KNOW THAT WRESTLING IS "WORTH IT".

THE ANIMAL

Animal, I'm overwhelmed by the response I've gotten the last 2 days. I went from being discouraged to encouraged. That alone makes it all worth while. There really are many people out there who care. I had people willing to help from parents of the competition, to referees, to opposing coaches to spectators to table workers. Amazing. Wrestling really does create family. NOTHING else like it.