District 1 AA

redskins1

Its good to see Johnson County doing so well...They have come such a long way. In 2006 they actually beat Unicoi in the district tournament but Unicoi stillwent on to win it all.

Johnson County has two very good coaches, who have had a lot of patience with those girls and have really taught them the game.

Seen the game, Shultz has great velocity! Nothing else I saw, other than J.C. laying back and pounding it.

Mayhala threw a great game!

Looks like it could be a barn burner between U.C, J.C. ! :thumb:

I was told that Mahala threw a no hitter....Is this true or is my friend just forgetting a few hits? lol

and also...why does Coach Hardin always start out with a conference game?

I was always taught to never play a conference team in your season opener....but then again, I am old school.

I was told that Mahala threw a no hitter....Is this true or is my friend just forgetting a few hits? lol

I was always taught to never play a conference team in your season opener....but then again, I am old school.

Actually it was a Perfect Game, no runners reached base that I saw, and the JC Mess reported it that way.

In all fairness to Coach Hardin, it would be hard to get in top form early in the season when some of your better players are playing basketball deep into the postseason.

Plus, IMHO the sharing of players (and the ability to work and practice with them) at EHS does not appear to be handled in an equitable fashion.

I don't have a child involved, but from what I have heard and seen, BB appears to favored in this situation.

Like I said, this is my OPINION.

If I were coaching, I would really hate to start off a season and have only had all of my players, especially key players, for only a couple of weeks.

In all fairness to Coach Hardin, it would be hard to get in top form early in the season when some of your better players are playing basketball deep into the postseason.

Plus, IMHO the sharing of players (and the ability to work and practice with them) at EHS does not appear to be handled in an equitable fashion.

I don't have a child involved, but from what I have heard and seen, BB appears to favored in this situation.

Like I said, this is my OPINION.

If I were coaching, I would really hate to start off a season and have only had all of my players, especially key players, for only a couple of weeks.

I agree with that statement, just another reason to not start with a conference game.

The Lady Cyclones will be fine. Four of their best players (Powell, Kiser, DeMoss, and Hodge) have about a week of practice under their belts. The two pitchers have very little varsity experience, but have plenty of ability. The pitchers' confidence will improve with each start and the bats will heat up with the weather. Nobody will want to play this team come tournament time. Go Cyclones!!!!!

The Lady Cyclones will be fine. Four of their best players (Powell, Kiser, DeMoss, and Hodge) have about a week of practice under their belts. The two pitchers have very little varsity experience, but have plenty of ability. The pitchers' confidence will improve with each start and the bats will heat up with the weather. Nobody will want to play this team come tournament time. Go Cyclones!!!!!

How correct you are, the season is way early, I believe the top spot is open. After all not knocking on H.V. they have come a long way also, but Unicoi only beat them 2-0. Alot of big time hits this year also. Best of luck to all! Nothing better then good games!

Congrats to Unicoi on taking the NFS tournament this weekend. They have a strong team.

I am very proud of our Betsy girls for making the championship game this weekend. This is much better than I expected considering the limited number of games we had played going in. Surprisingly, we really hit the ball well. We have to become much more sound defensively because we will not likely continue to outscore our opponents. Job well done ladies...

Oh and by the way, I think it's a shame that all the team's involved in the final 2 games, i.e. Unaka, EHS and UCHS had to endure such poor umpiring. During the Unaka vs EHS game particularly, the strike zone was all over the place. Many quality pitches were called balls while several batters (from both teams) were called out on 3rd strikes that were literally so far off the plate the ball crossed in the opposite batters' box. To make it worse for both the pitchers and hitters, the strike zone was different from pitch to pitch! No disrespect intended but there are some folks still trying to umpire in our district that have reached the point/age where there physical faculties (mainly sight) are so poor they are incapable of doing a good job. Sadly, they either can't or won't accept this fact and continue to do themselves and these kids/coaches a disservice by showing up and doing a very poor job...

Edited by etownsparky

Congrats to Unicoi on taking the NFS tournament this weekend. They have a strong team.

I am very proud of our Betsy girls for making the championship game this weekend. This is much better than I expected considering the limited number of games we had played going in. Surprisingly, we really hit the ball well. We have to become much more sound defensively because we will not likely continue to outscore our opponents. Job well done ladies...

Oh and by the way, I think it's a shame that all the team's involved in the final 2 games, i.e. Unaka, EHS and UCHS had to endure such poor umpiring. During the Unaka vs EHS game particularly, the strike zone was all over the place. Many quality pitches were called balls while several batters (from both teams) were called out on 3rd strikes that were literally so far off the plate the ball crossed in the opposite batters' box. To make it worse for both the pitchers and hitters, the strike zone was different from pitch to pitch! No disrespect intended but there are some folks still trying to umpire in our district that have reached the point/age where there physical faculties (mainly sight) are so poor they are incapable of doing a good job. Sadly, they either can't or won't accept this fact and continue to do themselves and these kids/coaches a disservice by showing up and doing a very poor job...

AMEN, TSSAA Officiating, in this area, not ALL, but most NEED TO GIVE IT UP! Start enjoying your retirement!

• 1 month later...