2012 last year for Traditional State Tournament?

russianbear

This is a travesty and will ruin our sport in Tennessee! We do not have the numbers to support multiple state championships and having multiple state tournaments will not do anything to make it better! Wrestling is for Warriors, it breeds champions in life! We are digressing from what the sport stands for and represents! This is coaches who know they can't compete with the schools who put in the work from kids club through middle school and into high school. We are not Pennsylvania with 600+ schools with wrestling. Heck we aren't even Georgia for that matter. The metropolitan area of Atlanta has the population of our entire state! If you have to change something to appease the coaches then simply keep separate team standings for d1, d2, and a small school division if you must but let the kids wrestle! it's a simple fix ! Please do not take drastic measures that will ruin our sport as we know it! What are we teaching the kids? Are we saying, " son you aren't good enough to compete with a Soddy, Cleveland or Bradley kid because we only have 500 kids in our school"? Is that what out sport is all about? Maybe it's time we remind the t$$aa that it's not about making money or making coaches feel good. It's about turning a kid into a champion the old fashioned way! Hard work, discipline, dedication, sacrifice. I can't wait to see how many people were "supposedly" at the tournament this year. It was a shame that there weren't more Nashville people there. I would say there were half the numbers Chatt would have had. One more thing, please get an announcer that can read, can pronounce names , has some personality and excitement in his voice, and knows something about wrestling because one of those guys was embarrassing.

This is a travesty and will ruin our sport in Tennessee! We do not have the numbers to support multiple state championships and having multiple state tournaments will not do anything to make it better! Wrestling is for Warriors, it breeds champions in life! We are digressing from what the sport stands for and represents! This is coaches who know they can't compete with the schools who put in the work from kids club through middle school and into high school. We are not Pennsylvania with 600+ schools with wrestling. Heck we aren't even Georgia for that matter. The metropolitan area of Atlanta has the population of our entire state! If you have to change something to appease the coaches then simply keep separate team standings for d1, d2, and a small school division if you must but let the kids wrestle! it's a simple fix ! Please do not take drastic measures that will ruin our sport as we know it! What are we teaching the kids? Are we saying, " son you aren't good enough to compete with a Soddy, Cleveland or Bradley kid because we only have 500 kids in our school"? Is that what out sport is all about? Maybe it's time we remind the t$$aa that it's not about making money or making coaches feel good. It's about turning a kid into a champion the old fashioned way! Hard work, discipline, dedication, sacrifice. I can't wait to see how many people were "supposedly" at the tournament this year. It was a shame that there weren't more Nashville people there. I would say there were half the numbers Chatt would have had. One more thing, please get an announcer that can read, can pronounce names , has some personality and excitement in his voice, and knows something about wrestling because one of those guys was embarrassing.

Sweeptheleg, you said "This is coaches who know they can't compete with the schools who put in the work from kids club through middle school and into high school".

I agree. I would love to see a public list of all the coaches who support this. I can almost GUARANTEE that not one of them won a state championship over their careers. By no means am I suggesting that this would make them a better coach. I've seen great coaches who won nothing over their careers. HOWEVER, what I am suggesting is that MOST coaches who support this are only concerned about making themselves feel better by producing so called "state champions" and "state medalist" by watering things down.

Yes and no

It does water it down and gives alot of schools and coaches a undeserving championship,by doing little or nothing to fill their trophy case and "EVEN BIGGER EGOES"(I could open a can worms with that)....,but in defense of some smaller schools that do not have full line up of wrestlers and do not have a "REAL" wrestling coach(but are truly doing the right thing)trying to help some young kid wrestle and provide some sort of foundation for the kids..I would like to see something to help THESE KIDS AND SCHOOLS!!

FOR EXAMPLE: Tyner,Sale Creek etc...Coach Turner and his asst.coach Dilliard try very,very hard,but aren't wrestling coaches,PERIOD!!,but go way above and beyond what is expected of a coach.Look at Sale Creek they are wedged between major powerhouses of WRESTLING(SODDY,CLEVELAND,BRADLEY)Throw in red bank and think how hard it is for them to do anything involving sports!!! I dont know what the answer is right now,but Tennessee is in one heckuva spot right now.,.Good or bad-right or wrong.

• Upvote 1

From what I was told every coach in the state voted for the split except for 5 coaches so this will happen. The part I'm more curious about seeing is how the small schools will vote with having the option to go small school or large school,

It is true that most small schools did vote for this, but I find it unfathomable that they understood fully what they were voting for and the repercussions of such.

Edited by russianbear

I heard the vote was more like 70-11. Whatever the case I can guarantee you this. The schools with 5-6 empty weight classes will still not win the state. All that will happen is now you will finish in 20th instead of 62nd. The small schools that can field a full team will walk away with it time and time again. will this work? Of course we will eventually have more teams. In 20 years from now it may work. Get ready for the worst 20 years in Tennessee wrestling history!

From what I was told every coach in the state voted for the split except for 5 coaches so this will happen. The part I'm more curious about seeing is how the small schools will vote with having the option to go small school or large school,

Not much of an option. If they choose to compete in the large division, then they have to go AAA in every sport.