D2 AA tourney

nd1fan

DIdn't want to repeat earlier quote....But here it is!

Really... seems very similar to last year to me. Sets up well for the old Ensworth choke. Best team there, already beat their semi final opponent twice, heavily favored to crush everybody else....ring any bells?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...the old Ensworth choke"??????? They lost a 4-point game in last year's semi-finals to the state champs, a team that they had beaten during the regular season in two closely contested contests by total of 6 points. Not sure where you're from, but I think most would agree that it's pretty hard to beat a very good team three times during the course of one season. It does not appear that the teams are quite as close this year - guess we'll find out on Friday night. This is Ensworth's fourth senior class and boy's b-ball has an excellent shot at putting a second gold ball in their trophy case. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but "choke" is not a term that jumps to mind when describing the Ensworth basketball team.

Edited by RedRobin

"...the old Ensworth choke"??????? They lost a 4-point game in last year's semi-finals to the state champs, a team that they had beaten during the regular season in two closely contested contests by total of 6 points. Not sure where you're from, but I think most would agree that it's pretty hard to beat a very good team three times during the course of one season. It does not appear that the teams are quite as close this year - guess we'll find out on Friday night. This is Ensworth's fourth senior class and boy's b-ball has an excellent shot at putting a second gold ball in their trophy case. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but "choke" is not a term that jumps to mind when describing the Ensworth basketball team.

Agreed RedRobin. I wouldn't describe them as chokers. They are an extremely talented bunch of players and Bowers has them playing their best ball. Should be a fun tournament to watch.

Too bad Bowers doesn't coach any of their other teams... seems only football and basketball (the teams he is the head coach of) only do well. The other teams don't seem to fare as well.

Agreed RedRobin. I wouldn't describe them as chokers. They are an extremely talented bunch of players and Bowers has them playing their best ball. Should be a fun tournament to watch.

Too bad Bowers doesn't coach any of their other teams... seems only football and basketball (the teams he is the head coach of) only do well. The other teams don't seem to fare as well.

I would respectfully disagree. Girls have two state championships in Basketball, one in Volleyball, and one in Lacrosse and Ricky was not the coach. Baseball has not done as well but were better last year. Maybe if they can ever get dugouts they night attract some baseball talent to the school. However, i do think everyone forgets that this is only the fourth graduating class. Five gold balls isn't to bad.....

I would respectfully disagree. Girls have two state championships in Basketball, one in Volleyball, and one in Lacrosse and Ricky was not the coach. Baseball has not done as well but were better last year. Maybe if they can ever get dugouts they night attract some baseball talent to the school. However, i do think everyone forgets that this is only the fourth graduating class. Five gold balls isn't to bad.....

Interesting you point to all the championships the girls have won. What about the boys sports? I stand corrected on my previous post. I should have been specific as to point out that the baseball, cross-country, tennis, wrestling, and whatever other sports they have don't share the success that football and basketball has.

If Bowers were coaching those other sports would they have championships too? No doubt he is a superior coach, that's not up for debate, but are Enworth's eggs in the football and basketball basket (male sports)? If yes, then why. If no, then what's holding them back in those other sports?

Interesting you point to all the championships the girls have won. What about the boys sports? I stand corrected on my previous post. I should have been specific as to point out that the baseball, cross-country, tennis, wrestling, and whatever other sports they have don't share the success that football and basketball has.

If Bowers were coaching those other sports would they have championships too? No doubt he is a superior coach, that's not up for debate, but are Enworth's eggs in the football and basketball basket (male sports)? If yes, then why. If no, then what's holding them back in those other sports?

One of the primary factors "holding them back" is sheer numbers. Ensworth has about 200 boys in grades 9-12. Since Ensworth offers virtually all sports, these boys get spread pretty thin. Football works pretty well since there are not that many sports in the fall season; basically, football, golf and cross-country. Winter offers more opportunities, but Ensworth is successful in basketball partly because that sport does not need the sheer numbers that some of the others do (about 14-15 on the varsity boy's basketball team versus about 45-50 for football). Spring is really hard for a school this size because you have baseball, lacrosse (btw, Ensworth was the D2 runner-up in boy's lacrosse the past two years) and soccer, all of which require some pretty substantial numbers. If there are 25-30 out for baseball, 35-40 out for lacrosse and 15-20 out for soccer, that is 75 boys, not counting sports such as tennis and track (Ensworth also more than holds its own in boys track and field). The best athletes are pretty much spread between these sports. In it's 3 graduating classes thus far, Ensworth has had athletes go on to compete at the next level in (of the sports of which you inquire) baseball, cross-country/track, tennis and wrestling. These students achieved individual success despite the fact that the numbers may have not allowed their teams to compete for championships.

On a slightly different, though related topic, most of the schools against which Ensworth competes are much larger; some approximate numbers for boys in grades 9-12:

MBA: 485

Baylor: 375 ( some of whom board at the school)

McCallie: 625 (some of whom board)

Christian Brothers: 880

Father Ryan: 450

BA: 225

Given those numbers, it is not hard to see that a school such as CBHS would have a lot more boys interested in (and good at) baseball than does Ensworth. The best comparison may be BA; they are extremely good at some sports but, like Ensworth, they are not competitive at the highest level at all sports. They do not have a lacrosse team, so they have more athletes available for other spring sports such as baseball.

Bottom line is that Ensworth really has nothing to apologize for, either athletically or in any other way. More importantly, as with most, if not all, of the other schools listed above, Ensworth is so much more than sports. Come see a play, attend a concert by the rock band or tour the art exhibits; athletic talent is far from the only talent displayed by the remarkable student body. The tone of your post implies that you may have some ax to grind; if so, go grind it and have yourself some fun. Most people at Ensworth are too busy pursuing their various passions to care.

One of the primary factors "holding them back" is sheer numbers. Ensworth has about 200 boys in grades 9-12. Since Ensworth offers virtually all sports, these boys get spread pretty thin. Football works pretty well since there are not that many sports in the fall season; basically, football, golf and cross-country. Winter offers more opportunities, but Ensworth is successful in basketball partly because that sport does not need the sheer numbers that some of the others do (about 14-15 on the varsity boy's basketball team versus about 45-50 for football). Spring is really hard for a school this size because you have baseball, lacrosse (btw, Ensworth was the D2 runner-up in boy's lacrosse the past two years) and soccer, all of which require some pretty substantial numbers. If there are 25-30 out for baseball, 35-40 out for lacrosse and 15-20 out for soccer, that is 75 boys, not counting sports such as tennis and track (Ensworth also more than holds its own in boys track and field). The best athletes are pretty much spread between these sports. In it's 3 graduating classes thus far, Ensworth has had athletes go on to compete at the next level in (of the sports of which you inquire) baseball, cross-country/track, tennis and wrestling. These students achieved individual success despite the fact that the numbers may have not allowed their teams to compete for championships.

On a slightly different, though related topic, most of the schools against which Ensworth competes are much larger; some approximate numbers for boys in grades 9-12:

Given those numbers, it is not hard to see that a school such as CBHS would have a lot more boys interested in (and good at) baseball than does Ensworth. The best comparison may be BA; they are extremely good at some sports but, like Ensworth, they are not competitive at the highest level at all sports. They do not have a lacrosse team, so they have more athletes available for other spring sports such as baseball.

Bottom line is that Ensworth really has nothing to apologize for, either athletically or in any other way. More importantly, as with most, if not all, of the other schools listed above, Ensworth is so much more than sports. Come see a play, attend a concert by the rock band or tour the art exhibits; athletic talent is far from the only talent displayed by the remarkable student body. The tone of your post implies that you may have some ax to grind; if so, go grind it and have yourself some fun. Most people at Ensworth are too busy pursuing their various passions to care.

I see from the length of your post, not necessarily your tone, that it is obvious most Ensworth people are too busy to care. Thanks for caring to share your insights.

Edited by plato

I don't know if you meant to make this point but it is clear from what you've written that the size of the school doesn't directly correlate to athletic success.

I don't know if you meant to make this point but it is clear from what you've written that the size of the school doesn't directly correlate to athletic success.

I agree that school size has no direct correlation to athletic success and did not seek to imply otherwise . I was responding to a post which asks whether Ensworth has "all of it's eggs" in the basketball and football "baskets". My point is that a school the size of Ensworth cannot be expected to contend for state titles in all sports simultaneously. I guess this could be seen as having most of the eggs in a couple of baskets, but it happens that those two baskets are the two most popular sports, both from a spectator and participatory perspective. I disagree with the propositions that this somehow implies that any of the other sports are being "held back" and that the coaching staff of any other sport at Ensworth is in any way inferior to the football and/or basketball staffs. In my opinion, Ensworth has assembled a remarkable cadre of coaches and has instilled a wonderfully competitive yet supportive atmosphere throughout the athletic department .

Edited by RedRobin

Can Ricky coach wrestling next year? Please do something about the wrestling team, it's embarrassing. With the only winter sport competing being basketball, surely you can fine some bodies to coach up and put on the mat.

You might want to take that up with wrestling coach Charles McTorry, two-time Tennessee State Champion, and former University of Nebraska wrestler who is currently 2-0 as a professional in MMA. You may have seen him on the last Strikeforce card. Actually, b-ball is not the only other winter sport - Ensworth had about 14 boys playing ice hockey as well. FYI, two seniors who would have been the team's best wrestlers missed most and all of the season with concussions. One of those seniors would have been a favorite to make the championship match at 152 or 160.

You might want to take that up with wrestling coach Charles McTorry, two-time Tennessee State Champion, and former University of Nebraska wrestler who is currently 2-0 as a professional in MMA. You may have seen him on the last Strikeforce card. Actually, b-ball is not the only other winter sport - Ensworth had about 14 boys playing ice hockey as well. FYI, two seniors who would have been the team's best wrestlers missed most and all of the season with concussions. One of those seniors would have been a favorite to make the championship match at 152 or 160.

You're dreaming. And if you are talking Stephenson, lucky to place 6th. I never saw McTorry on the mat, maybe he was to busy with the mma stuff, but with 6 wrestlers on the team and NO placer...in D2...Come on. I don't care who your coach is, the wrestling team is an embarrassment. So 14 guys playing bad hockey and what, 20 or so on the b-ball team (sweet win tonight, Corn is a stud) and you can't find more than a handful of boys to wrestle. Sad.

Edited by yoadrian