9AAA District Final...wow

yort45

The most incredible finish to a game I've ever seen happened tonight. This will SURELY be seen by TSSAA and hopefully change how ALL officials are educated (and continually educated we hope) to manage the game.

The TSSAA will be taking a thorough look into this game. We have film from both schools, including school cameras from GHS. We have been in contact with the administration from both schools, as well as both coaches. All parties will be informed when a decision has been made.

The TSSAA will be taking a thorough look into this game. We have film from both schools, including school cameras from GHS. We have been in contact with the administration from both schools, as well as both coaches. All parties will be informed when a decision has been made.

Gee...Thanks?

This game and the unfortunate post game activities make old people want to stay home more. What a shame fans acted like they did at a high school event. What is even more sad, is both these teams advance to regional play; it wasn't like this was an elimination game. I'm curious to see the outcome or punishment handed down by coaches and administrators. I just hate to see games end like this and emotions get out of control.

I would think the TSSAA would be more interested in reprimanding the officials than anything else.

Eda

Talked to a friend of mine who was at the game (Gallatin fan). He said it was one of the best high school basketball games he has ever witnessed but agreed that the basket should not have counted. He said he thought the officials panicked, made a hurried call and then ran for their lives. He went on to say that the chaos that ensued was one of the worst things he has ever seen in high school athletics. I would like to hear from a TSSAA ref on this one. What are the end of game responsibilities and how are these things supposed to be handled? My friend said it was a pretty obvious blown call.

• Upvote 1

Talked to a friend of mine who was at the game (Gallatin fan). He said it was one of the best high school basketball games he has ever witnessed but agreed that the basket should not have counted. He said he thought the officials panicked, made a hurried call and then ran for their lives. He went on to say that the chaos that ensued was one of the worst things he has ever seen in high school athletics. I would like to hear from a TSSAA ref on this one. What are the end of game responsibilities and how are these things supposed to be handled? My friend said it was a pretty obvious blown call.

Blown call is the truth. The weird part was the horn sounding off twice. The entire gym was hesitant for a split second thinking "is it over? aren't the refs going to wave it off?" And they didn't. Perhaps it was too loud in the gym. The refs hesitated when they could...should have made a move.

At the split second the buzzer went off and THEN the shot was taken and made the referees should've been on top of it and blown the whistle to decline the shot, pushing the game to a third OT.

Once they did not, obviously Gallatin thought they had won, duh. Fans stormed the court, players cheered, and WC demanded an explanation. At that point the referees had one choice: run for your life.

The call was blown and it was too late to fix it. Emotions were out of control tonight and it is a definite misfortune for a game that we all love to play, watch, and coach, end that way. For fans and players to take it to another level is uncalled for. Let's not get into it on a message board. Games over, hopefully regionals will give another shot.

It amazes me reading some of these post that appear to come from adults. If you your only desire is to focus on the coaches and players of either team then you are missing something in this ordeal that needs great attention. The 3 officials in this game deserve more than just a glance over and once sentence in any post. When you are calling a game of this magnituide you have to accept the responsibility of understanding that young men are learning how to be or not be champions. As an official it your obligation to take that on at high level. My job is to rear a young man into a man as a parent and in that moment I trust that you as an official understand that you are playing a role in that process (of course I still have opportunity) so I need you to be fearless. You all are overstating the fear factors by the officials because if that is the case then we should call them Organized Cowards!

Nice post! Someone should be accountable for a response simply because it is about doing the right thing. It may not change the outcome but accepting responbilities for mistakes is what institutions do and in this case the TSSAA is the institution. I put no blame on the kids or the coaches. They had an emotional response to irrational and illogical decisions made by the officials. The officials used emotions in a situation that called for logic. A corageous game by young men ended with cowardly decision making by adults! That is what some folks call life!

Wilson Central got cheated big time! the buzzer clearly went off TWICE before the shot went in, watch it on film... Gallatin got a little home cooking.

I appreciate your perspective because some things need to be simply stated. If I was a parent of one of the kids on the Gallatin team i would have grabbed my son, put my arms around him, and simply said "son that's not how you want to win in life!" It was a very sad outcome I could not agree with you more!

First of all that was one of the best games of the entire season, no exceptions. I got to see every team in the district play twice this year and it was obvious that the best two teams were in the championship. I will agree that the shot was beyond questionable but how in the world can you "BUCSBUCSBUCS", wonder where you're from, say that Gallatin got a little home cooking? I guess your next complaint is that Hendersonville got the same "home cooking" as they laid the wood to you guys. For any district tournament referees are brought in from out of town, so to say it was home cooking is absurd. It was clearly something that should have been discussed amongst the officials, but when fans storm (from both sides) not too many referees will stand around and correct a possible wrong call.

It amazes me reading some of these post that appear to come from adults. If you only desire is to focus on the coaches and players of either team then you are missing something in this ordeal that needs great attention. The 3 officials in this game deserve more than just a glance over and once sentence in any post. When you are calling a game of this magnituide you have to accept the responsibility of understanding that young men are learning how to be or not be champions. As an official it your obligation to take that on at high level. My job is to rear a young man into a man as a parent and in that moment I trust that you as an official understand that you are playing a role in that process (of course I still have opportunity) so I need you to be fearless. You all are overstating the fear factors by the officials because if that is the case then we should call them Organized Cowards!

Gee...Thanks?

This game and the unfortunate post game activities make old people want to stay home more. What a shame fans acted like they did at a high school event. What is even more sad, is both these teams advance to regional play; it wasn't like this was an elimination game. I'm curious to see the outcome or punishment handed down by coaches and administrators. I just hate to see games end like this and emotions get out of control.

I would think the TSSAA would be more interested in reprimanding the officials than anything else.

Eda

Furthermore, the coaches and players are expected to be emotional MA'AM it was an emotional moment I would expect more thoughts from you about the Organized Cowards if you were looking to interject logic because there were only 10 people in that entire place the 3 officials and the 7 police officers should have been logical in that moment and REFS missed that opportunity. continued........It amazes me reading some of these post that appear to come from adults (although your avatar looks like you are part animal part human). If your only desire is to focus on the coaches and players of either team then you are missing something in this ordeal that needs great attention. The 3 officials in this game deserve more than just a glance over and once sentence in any post. When you are calling a game of this magnituide you have to accept the responsibility of understanding that young men are learning how to be or not be champions. As an official it your obligation to take that on at high level. My job is to rear a young man into a man as a parent and in that moment I trust that you as an official understand that you are playing a role in that process (of course I still have opportunity) so I need you to be fearless. You all are overstating the fear factors by the officials because if that is the case then we should call them Organized Cowards!

Furthermore, the coaches and players are expected to be emotional MA'AM it was an emotional moment I would expect more thoughts from you about the Organized Cowards if you were looking to interject logic because there were only 10 people in that entire place the 3 officials and the 7 police officers should have been logical in that moment and REFS missed that opportunity. continued........It amazes me reading some of these post that appear to come from adults (although your avatar looks like you are part animal part human). If your only desire is to focus on the coaches and players of either team then you are missing something in this ordeal that needs great attention. The 3 officials in this game deserve more than just a glance over and once sentence in any post. When you are calling a game of this magnituide you have to accept the responsibility of understanding that young men are learning how to be or not be champions. As an official it your obligation to take that on at high level. My job is to rear a young man into a man as a parent and in that moment I trust that you as an official understand that you are playing a role in that process (of course I still have opportunity) so I need you to be fearless. You all are overstating the fear factors by the officials because if that is the case then we should call them Organized Cowards!

First, welcome to coacht.com! I commend you on your rookie status.

Since you posted the same thing, like SIX times, I will respond. I think you’re still carrying over some of your emotions from last night, because you have misinterpreted my post. I agree this whole incident could have been avoided with making the correct call at the end of the game. They blew it, no question. Should have come together, made the correct call (shot after buzzer) and the game should have been decided in a third OT. They should lose their stripes. However, it is how people reacted in the aftermath I found very disturbing. There is no place in high school athletics for children and adults to be out of control. Your job as a parent is to also teach poise, self-control, and discipline; learn that life is sometimes not fair. There are primary ingredients in learning how to deal with life struggles. There is more to life than winning and losing. My point was these two teams could possibly meet again in the region tournament. Both get to host first round games. Neither is going home, just yet.

Good Day,

Eda

First, welcome to coacht.com! I commend you on your rookie status.

Since you posted the same thing, like SIX times, I will respond. I think you’re still carrying over some of your emotions from last night, because you have misinterpreted my post. I agree this whole incident could have been avoided with making the correct call at the end of the game. They blew it, no question. Should have come together, made the correct call (shot after buzzer) and the game should have been decided in a third OT. They should lose their stripes. However, it is how people reacted in the aftermath I found very disturbing. There is no place in high school athletics for children and adults to be out of control. Your job as a parent is to also teach poise, self-control, and discipline; learn that life is sometimes not fair. There are primary ingredients in learning how to deal with life struggles. There is more to life than winning and losing. My point was these two teams could possibly meet again in the region tournament. Both get to host first round games. Neither is going home, just yet.

Good Day,

So obviously you didn't read my email careful enough and if you did you must have struggled with interpreting what I meant! I posted the same thing six times because my response was appropriate for each situation why waste the key strokes on such non sense! My focus once again was the officials! It is easy to discuss the aftermath because it lasted longer and it is typical to focus on who threw the second punch versus who threw the first one and started the entire ordeal. I would recommend teaching a child this "that life is the only place where you get the test before you get the lesson!" Teaching someone that life is not fair creates mediocrity and a sense of feeling sorry for oneself! I am opposed to teaching that! I would also recommend teaching that life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you respond and work to limit your mistakes! Fairness is created by you my friend! This lesson was free to you my next one will cost you about $175 an hour! Sincerely, The Teacher!

Eda

It amazes me reading some of these post that appear to come from adults. If you only desire is to focus on the coaches and players of either team then you are missing something in this ordeal that needs great attention. The 3 officials in this game deserve more than just a glance over and once sentence in any post. When you are calling a game of this magnituide you have to accept the responsibility of understanding that young men are learning how to be or not be champions. As an official it your obligation to take that on at high level. My job is to rear a young man into a man as a parent and in that moment I trust that you as an official understand that you are playing a role in that process (of course I still have opportunity) so I need you to be fearless. You all are overstating the fear factors by the officials because if that is the case then we should call them Organized Cowards!

I will also join in with "Eda" by saying welcome to Coacht. First thing is that it is very obvious you have no clue how this website works considering you posted the same message 5 times. Secondly, it is VERY obvious that you are a parent. And lastly, it is even more obvious that you have never officiated anything. Had you ever officiated any type of sport you would know that an official or officials never have a perfect game. They make mistakes and no one is overlooking that the call that was made was a mistake. However, as a parent you have to teach your son how to win and lose with character (regardless of the situation). The things that transpired after the game are much deeper than a high school basketball game. And as a parent for you to point the finger at others is not only disturbing but flat out irritating. Apparently we do need to spend more time talking about the players. And as for your Organized Cowards statement, I can agree with that without a problem.