Classifications

1Fan

May be that this topic has been discussed "ad nauseam" but how is it equitable for a school the size of Science Hill (enrollment 2565) to compete in the same classification as schools with the enrollment of app. 1100. Could the TSSAA not add another 4A classification for these larger schools?

May be that this topic has been discussed "ad nauseam" but how is it equitable for a school the size of Science Hill (enrollment 2565) to compete in the same classification as schools with the enrollment of app. 1100. Could the TSSAA not add another 4A classification for these larger schools?

It may seem inequitable, but consider AA.. 500 emrollment schools compete against 1000 enrollment schools. In A..100 enrollment schools compete against 500 enrollment schools.

The only thing about having the very largest (2000+) in their own class is that there aren't many of them, 15. That's from Science Hill to White Station, it would be hard to have them as a separate group.

There are enough schools now even with some moving to Division II lately to have a four-class set-up. If you divided into four equal groups (before teams possibly moved up) the cutoffs would be approximately 400, 750 and 1200.

Jackson County would be AA in this, Elizabethton, McMinn Central would be AAA, among other changes.

Edited by Indian

The only thing about having the very largest (2000+) in their own class is that there aren't many of them, 15. That's from Science Hill to White Station, it would be hard to have them as a separate group.

There are enough schools now even with some moving to Division II lately to have a four-class set-up. If you divided into four equal groups (before teams possibly moved up) the cutoffs would be approximately 400, 750 and 1200. That's without the non-football schools counted which would throw those off a bit.

Jackson County would be AA in this, Elizabethton, McMinn Central would be AAA, among other changes.

I believe most people could live with this setup with the cutoff being around 400.I actually like playing the Humboldts but for some like Gleason,Greenfield,Bradford..think they would favor a different set-up than what we have now.Especially in football.

Edited by mrbigster

Currently the classes are configured by taking the total # of schools and dividing by 3. Even if you add another class your still going to have some wide gaps in enrollment. Maybe they could determine what is an acceptable % difference between the lowest enrollment and highest in a classification...75%,80% etc. From this percentage divide out the classes. It may end up 50 in 1A,100 in 2A,125 in 3A,and 50 in 4A. The competition may be "fairer"....but I wouldn't want to be the one to redo districts and regions!

The only benefit I would really see from a reclassification, is the ability to have a grand slam. I don't see that happening, so I'm fine with the current classification system. There needs to be some consistency for schools rather than moving them from district to district, and class to class.

Why don't we just add 7 or 8 classifications and give a state championship to everyone...It may seem unfair but it's unfair in all classifications. Teams like RBS and Clarkrange who doesn't have a high enrollment have to play schools with an enrollment with twice as many students. Though still we're talking about a lot more students in your case, but the ratio is still the same.

Why don't we just add 7 or 8 classifications and give a state championship to everyone...It may seem unfair but it's unfair in all classifications. Teams like RBS and Clarkrange who doesn't have a high enrollment have to play schools with an enrollment with twice as many students. Though still we're talking about a lot more students in your case, but the ratio is still the same.

I AGREE WITH YOU. THE CITY OF BRADFORD'S POPULATION IS LESS THAN ALOT OF 1A SCHOOLS STUDENT ENROLLMENT, BUT WIN THEY DO WIN A GOLD BALL IT MAKES IT THAT MUCH BETTER.

the ONLY problem if we go to 4 classes for Basketball... well ya know how spread out a lot of the DISTRICTS(not regions) will be... considering as stated a lot of these schools of 1500+ are intercity OR just outside the intercity area, yeah you're gonna have mainly clusters of these "4A" schools, then ya go to "3A" and ya have schools spread out in the larger cities(but not the BIG ones), then "2A" is the larger TOWNS and small cities, and "1A" is the rest of the schools... bleh, 1A would be spread out further than it already is... look at a lot of the districts in East and West TN and imagine districts that spread out all over the state for all classes(outside of the intercity districts).

Edited by BobcatFan22