Congrats McMinn Co Cherokees

Gee, sad to see people who blame their team's loss on the referees. :roll:

LC plays a very aggressive style of defense and McMinn County capitalized on that by constantly driving into the paint. I sat near a gentleman who played on the 1971 LC team who made it to state, and even he kept saying that LC needed to quit committing those stupid fouls. So you can blame that one on your own coach for not recognizing it. And the way LC was nailing those treys, I'd have glaldy traded McMinn's 2 point.

game to my 3 point game

Great game between two teams who played on heart

I didn't say LCHS wasn't fouling but you can't tell me that McMinn wasn't fouling also. When the fouls are that one sided its pretty pathetic. When we were leaving the gym and had to watch the coaches and fans from McMinn walk out with the refs, patting them on the back and calling them by name makes you wonder how close they are?? McMinn has a great team and we could not stop that kid {can't think of his #} that kept taking that jumper in the middle. I will say this about your team I was VERY impressed with the kid that waited til our boys came out of the locker room to shake their hands, class act. Good luck to y'all in the state.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"I didn't say LCHS wasn't fouling but you can't tell me that McMinn wasn't fouling also. When the fouls are that one sided its pretty pathetic. When we were leaving the gym and had to watch the coaches and fans from McMinn walk out with the refs, patting them on the back and calling them by name makes you wonder how close they are?? McMinn has a great team and we could not stop that kid {can't think of his #} that kept taking that jumper in the middle. I will say this about your team I was VERY impressed with the kid that waited til our boys came out of the locker room to shake their hands, class act. Good luck to y'all in the state."

Mcminn County got called on many fouls, too.......mostly in the first half. However, Coach Elliot made an adjustment in defense at halftime - your coach didn't. When a coach sees how the refs are calling the game, they'll instruct their team at halftime to avoid senseless fouls. Quite honestly, I - and a few knowledgeable LC fans - were surprised that your coach never adjusted?

Your comment about our coaches and fans walking out with the refs is hilarious to say the least. Each participating host school in substate is mandated by the TSSAA to offer security for the refs after the game. The only people you saw walking with out with the refs were McMinn's Athletic Director and Assistant Principal.....accompanied by a McMinn County Sheriff's deputy. And as far as "knowing" the refs, being that two of them were from middle Tennessee, your assertion yet again rings of one being driven by sour grapes.

I think a lot of class was shown on both sides by the players. LC's players waited until McMinn's players celebrated at mid-court with the mob of students, in order to shake their hands. I know they were deeply hurt and emotional, but their character was displayed by them not running off after the game to the dressing room. The McMinn player you speak of was probably Nathan Simbeck (#5), who's father was raised in Lawrence County.

LC was a very scrappy team, and that #10 was phenomenal at times.....playing much bigger than his reported 5'-10' height. Plus, LC was the best three-point shooting team I saw this year.

Edited by blitzinbuc

The kid that I was referring to was #24, I just thought it was great for him to come over after we got out of the locker room. Our seniors stayed in there about 20 minutes and were very emotional but he made it a point to shake their hands. I hold no ill will to your team, they seem to be a great, classy team. Just a little upset that we didn't go farther. Good luck!

Congrats to Mcminn Co. Although this was a very intense game, both teams displayed a great deal of character. Well, there were a couple of students in the Cherokee student section who were very politely telling us we were number one if you know what I mean. But, other than that it was a great game all the way around. Here's my only statement about the whole officiating thing: 10 LC fouls to Mcminn's 3 fouls at one point in the second half. (a little one sided maybe?!?!) That being said, Mcminn Co. still played well enough to win the game. There were times when I asked myself if the Cherokees were ever gonna miss a shot! Congrats to both teams and good luck to the Cherokees in the BORO. BTW, that #10's from Lawrence County's name is Trent Garland, and if you think he's good at basketball, you should see him play football!