Officiating

yankees8589

First, congrats to Eat Lit and Liberty both. However, It's my belief Liberty would have run East Lit out of the gym had the refs let them play instead of calling the a foul fest....that's just my opinion. This was one of the most disgraceful officiated games I have ever seen, for a state championship game. It was equally BAD for both sides.

Liberty called for 26 personal fouls East Lit called for 29

Liberty shot 22 for 37 FT East Lit 15 for 29 FT

So, let's see..If my math is correct that's 55 total fouls called between both teams and 66 FT attempts....IN A 32 MINUTE BALL GAME. That's a average of a foul called every 35 seconds, almost two a minute. The only time that should ever happen is if the players get out of hand and the refs need to get the players in line. This game had no hot dogging or trash talking or showboating or taunting. Both teams showed class and respect. Neither team could get in a groove. It slowed both teams down...just let the kids play. Most of the calls were BS calls against both sides.

THERE IS NO LOGIC WHATSOEVER TO EXPLAIN AND DEFEND THE ACTIONS OF THE REFS IN THE AA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. Just my opinion.....anybody that say's well refs call different I say that's BS. The refs should be consistent no matter what game or classification....as long as players play hard and with respect the refs should let them play...sure fouls will be called but it should never be like that, ESPECIALLY IN A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME that people actually payed hard earned money to attend and watch.

NOW, CONTRAST THAT WITH THE CRAIGMONT VS BEARDEN GAME. THIS GAME WAS WAS MUCH MUCH MUCH MORE PHYSICAL BY ANY MEASURE. Now get this, neither team was taunting, show boating or acting out of line. Both teams played hard and seemed to have genuine respect for the opponent. This game was called like a game should be.

Craigmont called for 17 personal fouls Bearden called for 12

Craigmont shot 9 for 9 FT Bearden 12 for 15 FT

So the AA game has a total of 55 personal fouls called and 66 FT between both teams while the AAA game only had 29 Personal fouls called and 26 FT between both teams..........EVEN THOUGH THE AAA GAME WAS SO MUCH MORE PHYSICAL, BY A LONG SHOT TO. THIS MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER.......NONE!!!!!

This post has ZERO to do with the outcome of either game and everything to do with the inconsistency and contrast of how each game was called. The refs in the AA game should never be allowed to call another game in high school. Fans for both teams and from across the state were excited and ready to watch a AA state championship game for all the marbles, instead they got to watch the refs shut the game down FOR WHATEVER REASON ONLY THEY KNOW....ESPECIALLY WHEN THE AAA GAME WAS JUST THE OPPOSITE. The AAA game was a treat to watch the AA was something less than BORING when it could have been a treat just like the AAA game. Both teams got SHAFTED.

First, congrats to Eat Lit and Liberty both. However, It's my belief Liberty would have run East Lit out of the gym had the refs let them play instead of calling the a foul fest....that's just my opinion. This was one of the most disgraceful officiated games I have ever seen, for a state championship game. It was equally BAD for both sides.

Liberty called for 26 personal fouls East Lit called for 29

Liberty shot 22 for 37 FT East Lit 15 for 29 FT

So, let's see..If my math is correct that's 55 total fouls called between both teams and 66 FT attempts....IN A 32 MINUTE BALL GAME. That's a average of a foul called every 35 seconds, almost two a minute. The only time that should ever happen is if the players get out of hand and the refs need to get the players in line. This game had no hot dogging or trash talking or showboating or taunting. Both teams showed class and respect. Neither team could get in a groove. It slowed both teams down...just let the kids play. Most of the calls were BS calls against both sides.

THERE IS NO LOGIC WHATSOEVER TO EXPLAIN AND DEFEND THE ACTIONS OF THE REFS IN THE AA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. Just my opinion.....anybody that say's well refs call different I say that's BS. The refs should be consistent no matter what game or classification....as long as players play hard and with respect the refs should let them play...sure fouls will be called but it should never be like that, ESPECIALLY IN A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME that people actually payed hard earned money to attend and watch.

NOW, CONTRAST THAT WITH THE CRAIGMONT VS BEARDEN GAME. THIS GAME WAS WAS MUCH MUCH MUCH MORE PHYSICAL BY ANY MEASURE. Now get this, neither team was taunting, show boating or acting out of line. Both teams played hard and seemed to have genuine respect for the opponent. This game was called like a game should be.

Craigmont called for 17 personal fouls Bearden called for 12

Craigmont shot 9 for 9 FT Bearden 12 for 15 FT

So the AA game has a total of 55 personal fouls called and 66 FT between both teams while the AAA game only had 29 Personal fouls called and 26 FT between both teams..........EVEN THOUGH THE AAA GAME WAS SO MUCH MORE PHYSICAL, BY A LONG SHOT TO. THIS MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER.......NONE!!!!!

This post has ZERO to do with the outcome of either game and everything to do with the inconsistency and contrast of how each game was called. The refs in the AA game should never be allowed to call another game in high school. Fans for both teams and from across the state were excited and ready to watch a AA state championship game for all the marbles, instead they got to watch the refs shut the game down FOR WHATEVER REASON ONLY THEY KNOW....ESPECIALLY WHEN THE AAA GAME WAS JUST THE OPPOSITE. The AAA game was a treat to watch the AA was something less than BORING when it could have been a treat just like the AAA game. Both teams got SHAFTED.

I agree a 100 percent!I never saw so much acting and so many charges called ever in state tourney and it did slow the pace down where the teams that live by there transition couldn't get going! Where did they get those quacks?

I agree a 100 percent!I never saw so much acting and so many charges called ever in state tourney and it did slow the pace down where the teams that live by there transition couldn't get going! Where did they get those quacks?

A "Player Control" foul (charge) is still and will always be a foul...alot were called....didn't see many that weren't actually charges! At least in the 6 games I watched

Edited by uknoit2

A "Player Control" foul (charge) is still and will always be a foul...alot were called....didn't see many that weren't actually charges! At least in the 6 games I watched

took 9 by myself agaisnt Bearden once if a player is good enough to get the call so be it. adjust to how the game is being called its part of basketball

I know what a foul is....you could call a foul every 15 seconds of every game at any level if you want to get technical...then guess what? NOBODY WOULD WATCH A GAME AT ANY LEVEL. The refs in this game were a disgrace.

Didn't see that game...not referring to it, but the 1A games.

took 9 by myself agaisnt Bearden once if a player is good enough to get the call so be it. adjust to how the game is being called its part of basketball

1A teams West of Knox and most AA, AAA are run-n-gun teams and don't adjust well to teams that position themselves to draw the charge.

Does it slow the game? Yep, sure does...and I've seen the underdog team win a many of them.

As I've said soooo many times, there are MANY dimensions to this game..not just run as hard and fast as you can!

The greatest game on the planet!

I've been watching games forever at every level. These type of games it ain't no adjusting to the refs....the refs won't allow it. They are bound and determined to blow the whistle, bottom line. They have their reasons and only they know. They will blow the whistle at every adjustment made.

Hey brother, I agree....the refs have been pitiful at every level all over the state! No argument there at all

I just wish they would do a better job. Actually some do a good job but some really should not be allowed to ref.

Yank: Looking at the offical boxes for the entire tourney, 12 officals were assigned to work the 21 total games. That's an average of about five games each over three days, not counting the games official's served as "back up" at the table. Strikes me as too many.

We're in agreement on a lot of points and, as a numbers guy, I'm working on a matrix that I think will show some consistency between specific offials and heavy PF totals in a game.

A note to start: Total fouls called in championship games: A=34, AA=55, AAA=29. For the tourney, the averages by round: Quarter-Finals: A=33.5, AA=33.75, AAA=41.0; Semi-Finals: A=37.5, AA=42.3; AAA=38.0.

30 or more personal fouls were called in 19 of the 21 games for the week. Looking back over some notes, it appears 24 or less is the average PF calls per game over the regular season/play-offs up to M'Boro.

I have great respect for the guys who go out night after night and put themselves in the position to be second guessed by we grandstand officials. But every game I saw this week appeared to be one with a single official intent on being "seen" and "perfect" and in the process, the other two officals had to help with "make up" and "pay back" calls.

Great officials are never remembered by the fans.

Where I come from if you set up to take that many charges you would never walk out of the gym without being on the way to the hospital. We had a guy take three in the first quarter a while back and by half time his nose had made contact with a knee while he set up in the lane in front of a high flying "charging" opponent. He got the call alright but he didn't play anymore in that game. We have a way of making you think twice before putting yourself in harm's way that many times. Just not a good idea.