Anderson County best place to play for college

K2ruth

Congratulations are in order for 3 Anderson County seniors who are paying for college with a volleyball scholarship, including a D-1 full ride for their Libero.

This past year was a down year (by AC standards) being upset by Farragut in the Regionals, yet 3 of their 4 seniors received scholarships. At the Atlanta qualifier we were approached by 2 different college coaches wanting to know if any Anderson County girls were playing for us.

There is alot of talk on here about club (disclaimer I help run a club) but I can say that I have never heard of a Tennessee school that year in and year out produces more collegiate players. The level of instruction that the AC girls receive is better than most colleges. They don't recruit, rarely have more than 1 or 2 club players, yet produce more college players than any high school in the state. I used to think it was the coaching staff, but they have switched head coaches twice in 4 years and still produce a great product.

Would any of these coaches consider sharing the secret. The AC girls that we are lucky enough to get are first class people, and players. Karns had the most talent last year, but AC was better coached. With what they have coming back expect a return to Murp.

Congratulations Lady Mavericks, keep sending them!

PS I checked and these three bring the CURRENT number of AC players in college to 8!!! That includes 2 division 1 schools and the setter for LEE who should be ranked number 1 in the country. Does anybody else have more than 2 that are currently playing?

Hopi, what is the deal?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished watching a great Masters, and saw this post. I agree with the above.

My daughter played at AC and she played club at the old Smokey Mountain club. She went on to play in college where she became the starting setter. Hands down, she would not have been the player she became but for the instruction she received at Anderson County High School.

I played Division 1 ball and was fortunate enough to play professionally for 3 years. I had never been to a volleyball match before my daughter transfered to AC her freshman year. I was blown away by this program.

My daughter had never touched a volleyball before tryouts. The coaches told her they preferred that so that she wouldn't learn any bad habits. Only 3 girls played club her entire 4 years and we went to 4 straight state final fours.

I know this will get attacked, but the coaching at AC is the best I have ever seen, in any sport, at the high school level. There are several great coaches in TN, several that are probably better fundamental skill coaches then the AC crew. No doubt there are several better "volleyball" minds in the high school game, but none, none, can "coach" at the level that I see year in and year out at AC. They instill an attitude that demands excellence. Here are some examples:

1)All athletes have to maintain a 3.0 GPA;

2)Cussing, trash talk, back talk etc is never allowed;

3)The entire focus is on team, never the individual;

4)Sports comes after God, family and school;

5)The athlete is NEVER put in a position where she is embarassed;

6)JV is done purely for development, no scorebooks or records are kept;

7)No emphasis is placed on the regular season, the entire year is based on making the state tournament;

8)Returning athletes are recognized at every game and practice. The team is expected to know the history of the great players and programs, and treat the athletes who came before them with respect;

9)The coaches use NO negative reenforcement with the athlete;

I could go on and on. The word that I want to use for the coaching staff is Intensity/focus/fun.

Anyone who has ever watched an AC game knows that the coaching staff is Intense. They demand excellence from the players and the refs. If a ref is not on her A game, or blows a call, she gets an earful. Some opposing teams hate this but the officials I met said that when they are getting yelled at it is because they missed it, and appreciate the intensity.

They don't care what anyone else says, they worry about their own.

College coaches LOVE AC girls because they know that if they can play at AC the college game is a breeze!

Great post.

On an unrelated note how is my old friend Pageman? I heard he had some health problems? Let him and Cowboys Up know that I miss them up here where we got over 50ft of snow this winter!!!!

Congratulations are in order for 3 Anderson County seniors who are paying for college with a volleyball scholarship, including a D-1 full ride for their Libero.

This past year was a down year (by AC standards) being upset by Farragut in the Regionals, yet 3 of their 4 seniors received scholarships. At the Atlanta qualifier we were approached by 2 different college coaches wanting to know if any Anderson County girls were playing for us.

There is alot of talk on here about club (disclaimer I help run a club) but I can say that I have never heard of a Tennessee school that year in and year out produces more collegiate players. The level of instruction that the AC girls receive is better than most colleges. They don't recruit, rarely have more than 1 or 2 club players, yet produce more college players than any high school in the state. I used to think it was the coaching staff, but they have switched head coaches twice in 4 years and still produce a great product.

Would any of these coaches consider sharing the secret. The AC girls that we are lucky enough to get are first class people, and players. Karns had the most talent last year, but AC was better coached. With what they have coming back expect a return to Murp.

PS I checked and these three bring the CURRENT number of AC players in college to 8!!! That includes 2 division 1 schools and the setter for LEE who should be ranked number 1 in the country. Does anybody else have more than 2 that are currently playing?

Hopi, what is the deal?

Hello everyone Hopi is still kicking.

Congratulations to the three Seniors I know Pitt went to Milligan and Kerstin (sp) to Virginia Intermonth who was the third one that signed and where; someone enlighten me.

The coaches at AC do a wonderful job preparing the girls for the next level. From Kelsey's senior year and that group of freshmen which is this past years group there was a ton of talent and if 8 is the number then that shows just how much talent was there.

Kelsey is having a great time at Lee University; she is doing great and enjoying life. Kelsey’s group has set some a lot of records that have never been achieved before at Lee University. Kelsey’s groups of 8 juniors are coming back next year. This group has won 105 matches having only lost 18. They have made three straight Nationals Championships with two final four finishes the past two seasons and this past season they were ranked #1 in the nation for 11 straight weeks which was the first in Lee's historic program. She has started every game in her three years which you can relate back to hard work, AC volleyball and the coaches; she was ready when she got to Lee.

Is she the best in the country probably not but she is doing really well.

Keep up the great work at AC and keep sending young ladies to the next level to get their educations. We are so grateful for Anderson County and the volleyball coaches there.

Edited by Hopi

It was Gardner Webb. She is the best Libero I have ever watched in high school, and she will probably start her first year.

Hopi, your daughter is FANTASTIC! I think she will break the ceiling this year and bring the title back home to Tennessee!

I liked your post. I agree that this program, and these coaches are special. Did Kelsey enjoy playing at AC, or was it all work?

What would you say is the secret to AC's success?

HOPI! I thought Kelsey got all of her athletic ability from her DAD!!!

Great news!

K2, my daughter thought AC volleyball was fantastic. She worked her butt off, and came home from practice a little frustrated because of the intensity, but she was treated great, and taught how to be a champion in life. How many other programs can say that?

It was Gardner Webb. She is the best Libero I have ever watched in high school, and she will probably start her first year.

Hopi, your daughter is FANTASTIC! I think she will break the ceiling this year and bring the title back home to Tennessee!

I liked your post. I agree that this program, and these coaches are special. Did Kelsey enjoy playing at AC, or was it all work?

A dedication to perfection was a big part and the kids bought in to that. But the kids wanted what the coaches wanted.

All the kids worked hard to be the best they could be. But Kelsey never played volleyball until her freshman year in high school; she was as green as goose poop as they say. But the coaches seen athletic ability in her and they taught her the game. Along with high school, Club helped her tremendously as well. Carmen Foster and Jeff Foster with Smokey Mountain helped her a lot then Jay and Chris Hymns came along and really took her up a level or two.

The kids and the coach’s have a dedication at Anderson County that is second to none and they demand quality both on and off the court and that is a key in their successes.

As for Kelsey getting her athletic skills from me not a chance, as they say I just put it there mom polished it.

Just finished watching a great Masters, and saw this post. I agree with the above.

My daughter played at AC and she played club at the old Smokey Mountain club. She went on to play in college where she became the starting setter. Hands down, she would not have been the player she became but for the instruction she received at Anderson County High School.

I played Division 1 ball and was fortunate enough to play professionally for 3 years. I had never been to a volleyball match before my daughter transfered to AC her freshman year. I was blown away by this program.

My daughter had never touched a volleyball before tryouts. The coaches told her they preferred that so that she wouldn't learn any bad habits. Only 3 girls played club her entire 4 years and we went to 4 straight state final fours.

I know this will get attacked, but the coaching at AC is the best I have ever seen, in any sport, at the high school level. There are several great coaches in TN, several that are probably better fundamental skill coaches then the AC crew. No doubt there are several better "volleyball" minds in the high school game, but none, none, can "coach" at the level that I see year in and year out at AC. They instill an attitude that demands excellence. Here are some examples:

1)All athletes have to maintain a 3.0 GPA;

2)Cussing, trash talk, back talk etc is never allowed;

3)The entire focus is on team, never the individual;

4)Sports comes after God, family and school;

5)The athlete is NEVER put in a position where she is embarassed;

6)JV is done purely for development, no scorebooks or records are kept;

7)No emphasis is placed on the regular season, the entire year is based on making the state tournament;

8)Returning athletes are recognized at every game and practice. The team is expected to know the history of the great players and programs, and treat the athletes who came before them with respect;

9)The coaches use NO negative reenforcement with the athlete;

I could go on and on. The word that I want to use for the coaching staff is Intensity/focus/fun.

Anyone who has ever watched an AC game knows that the coaching staff is Intense. They demand excellence from the players and the refs. If a ref is not on her A game, or blows a call, she gets an earful. Some opposing teams hate this but the officials I met said that when they are getting yelled at it is because they missed it, and appreciate the intensity.

They don't care what anyone else says, they worry about their own.

College coaches LOVE AC girls because they know that if they can play at AC the college game is a breeze!

Great post.

On an unrelated note how is my old friend Pageman? I heard he had some health problems? Let him and Cowboys Up know that I miss them up here where we got over 50ft of snow this winter!!!!

Brat, I appreciatehearing from you on this site. You show up every year about this time posting about your beloved Anderson County. The district they are in seems to be competitive and the Region is fierce especially on this site. East Tennesse will be totally better this year as Club play in the area seems to be very good.

While other clubs have not been heard from, K2 is making some waves as well as Bristol. Word is Anderson has more playing club this year also and State participant Karns will take another run at State this season even losing the two BIGS they had in the Middle.

Now the reason I posted. I will find out sometime about Pageman. I have not heard from him and like you, I miss him. The last I saw of him was in Vanderbilt Hospital and his health was not good at all. I would say he is not at home. Anyone who knows the man likely knows he does not want anyone to know abut him or any problems he has. Pageman is a legend thruout Tennessee. CU posts sometimes on this site and likely will post if she sees you on here. I am not sure if you get to Tennessee much nymore but you are mentioned every so often. You certainly have got a number of fans trying to take your place with their sharp wit. Anderson has moved up division wise to AAA but their is no doubt they will be able to get to competing for the top spot in the Regions. Best of luck.

Hopi, what is the deal?

actually Father Ryan had 4 former players playing Division 1 this past season and three went to the NCAA tournament while the other was up 2-0 in the A-Sun tourney finals to make it 4 in the big dance...same deal as Ac and a few others... Ryan has a volleyball "program" that often produces GREAT teams...

Hopi, you are too kind. Kelsey is a special young lady. She and Ashley Pittman, along with another AC player Jordan Bollinger, were alot of fun. Her senior year was the year that I thought Tennessee volleyball was at its peak. AC and Greenbriar were fantastic, as was Ryan and Brentwood.

bb317 you made me think about Ryan. When we got to TN we had already heard about Father Ryan volleyball. I actually think that Ryan has the number volleyball program in the state followed by Brentwood then Anderson County. I see AC more, and am probably so impressed by them because they don't have the talent pool of the other schools.

Volleyball is an expensive sport to play. AC is a rural school where the coaches pretty well have to teach the freshman each year how to play. Hopi's daughter is a good example. She had never touched avolleyball before coming to AC as a freshman. By her sophomore year she was setting in the state finals.

Schools like Ryan, AC and Brentwood have it figured out. They all are first class programs.

Good job!

• 2 weeks later...

I received this from Kelsey's volleyball coach, who received it from the President of Lee University Dr. Paul Conn a couple weeks ago. This is why WE are proud if Kelsey and what she has turned out to be. When a parent receives something like this it makes you feel you’ve done your job. I sure hope we have and we hope she teaches these traits to her kids someday.

We also have to give credit to the AC coaches and the staff at AC. They helped that is for sure.

Dr. Conn,

I was on a plane yesterday from Omaha to Detroit. It was the same plane as your women’s volleyball team returning from their National Tournament, and I wanted to share something with you. I was sitting next to one of your players, who after looking at your website is Kelsey Leffew. I don’t think I can express enough after speaking with her during the plane ride how proud you should be that she represents your Volleyball program, Athletic Department and University. I have never met a 20 year old that was more polite, grounded, mature and an all around pleasure to be around as she was. I told my wife when I got home that I encountered a young lady on the plane that I hope my 5 and 2 year old daughters are like when they attend college. I’m a D1 Men’s College basketball official and am exposed to many student-athletes, and I just don’t often see the class she portrayed. I’m sure in your position you don’t get to hear much good PR about athletics, but please continue to recruit more student-athletes like Ms. Leffew, she definitely is a great ambassador for Lee University.

Regards,

Jeff Albright

Edited by Hopi

Very good post. I can say, the years I have been around the same comment can be made by all of the players I have been around. Why. High caliber families they come from and the high level of play and competition they exhibit. Does that mean they are perfect. Don't know but not likely. Great ambassadors, absolutely. Generally they are a group and have coaches that are not given anything in their school setting. They, like other teams, fight for their players, their practice times, and have to be very competitive on the court. They are leaders in their community in many endeavors. In a sport who has to have great chemistry and teamwork, they understand it takes both to excel and win.

For an official to say what he said means a lot to a school. He is around players all of the time. Good luck.

Announcements