INDEPENDENCE HS IS IN BAD SHAPE

saveindy81

Rebel4life 94 is obviously right, they just do it in the NFL combine because it is not important. Show me a college strength coach who thinks it is not important and I will show you a guy looking for a job. Every college in a America good or bad does a version of bench press minimum of twice a week.

Wow, good thing FB knowledge is not criteria for coach t, no one would be on here.

Strength coaches don't design the combine.

Heres some football knowledge for you.

http://www.chicagopowerlifting.com/benchpress.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/621555-nfl-combine-2011-the-latest-on-mark-ingram-julio-jones-and-more/entry/50006-2011-nfl-combine-results-stephen-paea-wins-the-bench-press

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/depew10.htm

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/85/health-fitness/why-american-football-benchpress-important-indicator-strength-709003/

Edited by HillaryandBill

Do you understand what blocking is and what muscles you use for it? I agree that how much a player bench presses does not define their ability as a player but to say that the bench press is not an important lift is an ignorant statement. I would be shocked to find a college strength coach at a successful program say the bench press doesn't matter.

My Masters degree and CSCS certification say "Yes I do". Do you? If you are blocking properly you're not using the muscles in the same way. I didn't say "Unimportant" Just said it isn't one of the most important lifts.

I made my post because someone actually used a kids name and spoke negatively about him. That, I think is inappropriate. I wrote what I wrote expecting that that young man or someone in his family might read the comment.

I like to bench press myself and I am ashamed to mention that I was much more proud of the day I hit the big 3 on bench press than the 5 in squat. There are many lifts that build players much better than Bench Press. Parallel Squat, Power Clean, Dead Lift, and a few others are much more important toward player development. You can debate me all you want but you are doing so without researching my point. You can call me ignorant if you want, but I'm the one using proof to make my point. I think you ask a good question about the combine. EVERY S&C clinic I go to, I hear the college and NFL Strength guys ask the same question. THe only thing I can think of is that using the squat, dead lift, power clean, or assorted olympic lifts can be dangerous when used to measure endurance and power together. Rather than insulting you as you did me by calling me ignorant rebel4life94, I'll just let you read the following articles. There are a ton more on the same topic which I'll be glad to help you with.

http://www.chicagopo...benchpress.html

http://bleacherrepor...the-bench-press

http://www.bodybuild...fun/depew10.htm

http://forumserver.t...trength-709003/

Edited by HillaryandBill

I never sed I didn't get out my pickup. Dontcha worry teamplayer. Eyes gunna let it go butt now I have somethan to prove. Thank I may go see next week to sea if the camras proove me write.

CHSTeamPlayer is right. There is NO way they are going to let you come in and see the cameras. I must admit your suspicions are warranted though. I go to church in Franklin with an excellent young man who is an upcoming sophomore on the Centennial football team. I asked him if they had started spring ball to which he said no. He told me it starts next week. I asked him how weights and conditioning are going and he said good and did say they had been going over some plays in the gym before school. I then asked if it was organzied by the team captains. He said no captains had been chosen and that both Coach Rector and Coach Eubanks were there. After that I wished him luck and we both agreed we can't wait for the season to start.

Don't take this as an absolute truth. This is just what one kid said but I thought I would ask him since he is on the team. Take it for what you will.

CHSTeamPlayer is right. There is NO way they are going to let you come in and see the cameras. I must admit your suspicions are warranted though. I go to church in Franklin with an excellent young man who is an upcoming sophomore on the Centennial football team. I asked him if they had started spring ball to which he said no. He told me it starts next week. I asked him how weights and conditioning are going and he said good and did say they had been going over some plays in the gym before school. I then asked if it was organzied by the team captains. He said no captains had been chosen and that both Coach Rector and Coach Eubanks were there. After that I wished him luck and we both agreed we can't wait for the season to start.

Don't take this as an absolute truth. This is just what one kid said but I thought I would ask him since he is on the team. Take it for what you will.

In their (coaches) defense the TSSAA rules are not clear. I think that is done on purpose. If they are vague they can pick and choose how to enforce it. They really let the schools enforce most of the time. If someone you work for doesn't like you then it will be enforced. If they like you, you are fine. I believe 100% that it happens a lot. It is still wrong. It is still hypocritical to "hold men accountable" yet teach them to dodge rules by "walking thru plays".

I do not believe Coach Rector would be guilty of this, though. He definitely knows the rules and I am positive he wouldn't break such rules.

Edited by HillaryandBill

My Masters degree and CSCS certification say "Yes I do". Do you? If you are blocking properly you're not using the muscles in the same way. I didn't say "Unimportant" Just said it isn't one of the most important lifts.

I made my post because someone actually used a kids name and spoke negatively about him. That, I think is inappropriate. I wrote what I wrote expecting that that young man or someone in his family might read the comment.

I like to bench press myself and I am ashamed to mention that I was much more proud of the day I hit the big 3 on bench press than the 5 in squat. There are many lifts that build players much better than Bench Press. Parallel Squat, Power Clean, Dead Lift, and a few others are much more important toward player development. You can debate me all you want but you are doing so without researching my point. You can call me ignorant if you want, but I'm the one using proof to make my point. I think you ask a good question about the combine. EVERY S&C clinic I go to, I hear the college and NFL Strength guys ask the same question. THe only thing I can think of is that using the squat, dead lift, power clean, or assorted olympic lifts can be dangerous when used to measure endurance and power together. Rather than insulting you as you did me by calling me ignorant rebel4life94, I'll just let you read the following articles. There are a ton more on the same topic which I'll be glad to help you with.

Since you are CSCS then use credible sources, just because an article quotes a strength coach doesn't make it credible. The first one even says that Benchpress is a great upper body lift and develops shoulder stability, important for blocking. PS I can find just as many research based articles that say why Bench press is good. Turning the argument to hip strength is weak as that was not the point of this discussion and everyone knows hip strength and explosion is the main key, because if you can't move and be explosive, play something else. Sorry for getting off topic.

Edited by Bucksfan

Strength coaches don't design the combine.

Are you sure? Lets see, the combine tests obvioulsy FB skill specific ability and Lower body power/ explosiveness, 40 and VJ, Agility, L drill and upper body endurance, BP test. You really think that strength coaches are not involved in designing the combine? I know there are more, but you have to agree that someone with a Strength background has been involved somewhere. On a serious note who do you think designs the combine?

Many people design the events and that huge group probably involves some strength guys. We can have a peeing contest if you want and lose the concept of context, but I'm gonna say I'm wrong and lets move on to the important aspects of this topic. Therefore, I will post as I should have posted the first time.

Let's not mention specific kids on here if were gonna speak negatively. Someone on here mentioned FERPA. Let's be conservative in our usage of names.

Let's keep up the topic about the possibility of high school programs practicing illegally. That's less opinion and more black and white TSSAA "rules"

Can anyone name the coaches at Independence anyways and what coaching and credibility they have? I only know a few. He played at Utah not the SEC. He only made one play in the NFL and now everyone thinks he can coach. Then you have Coach Gates who played college football and he knows the game head to toe. He deserves the head job not Dyson. Coach Alexander is more concerned about the homecoming courts than coaching. Coach Fetner yells at the kids for no reason makes no sense. Coach Bobby watches too much playstation to pick up his defensive knowledge. Who is the other two big guy on the staff? Does anyone know who they are? It seems like Dr. Campbell is taking care of his people rather than trying to build a winning program. Now I hear that Coach Nation from Heritage is coaching the linebackers. That's going to be interesting because he punched one of the players dad just last year at Heritage. This kids brother players on the varsity team. Will he do the same at Independence. From this staff you tell me that Independence can win heck no.

Can anyone name the coaches at Independence anyways and what coaching and credibility they have? I only know a few. He played at Utah not the SEC. He only made one play in the NFL and now everyone thinks he can coach. Then you have Coach Gates who played college football and he knows the game head to toe. He deserves the head job not Dyson. Coach Alexander is more concerned about the homecoming courts than coaching. Coach Fetner yells at the kids for no reason makes no sense. Coach Bobby watches too much playstation to pick up his defensive knowledge. Who is the other two big guy on the staff? Does anyone know who they are? It seems like Dr. Campbell is taking care of his people rather than trying to build a winning program. Now I hear that Coach Nation from Heritage is coaching the linebackers. That's going to be interesting because he punched one of the players dad just last year at Heritage. This kids brother players on the varsity team. Will he do the same at Independence. From this staff you tell me that Independence can win heck no.

You might want to get your facts straight before you post. The kids dad punched the Heritage coach, not the other way around. My neighbor's kid was there, heard and saw it.

The dad came out on the field to ask why his kid wasnt playing in the game. The kid had been faking an injury (a player on the team's words) to keep from running and practicing, but on game day expected to play. Coach tried to walk away and got shoved and punched. The entire family is nuts.

And no, Independence cannot win with the staff they have and the talent they dont have.

Summit beats them within 3 years.

You, Sir, are a liar and trying to stir something up against the team that has a lot of other teams worried. Want me to prove you are a liar? Because of the set up of the CHS gym and entrance and hallways, you can't see into the gym as you are "pullin up." It is not possible in any way. Liar.

Sad how you had to make up a new screen name to come on here and post a lie.

The only way you know he is lying is if you are there in person. Are you a coach at Centennial?

It would not be the first time a Rector coached team was penalized for practice violations. I believe they lost some practice days at Ravenwood several years ago. I will not guarantee that, but I'm sure that someone can verify that pretty easily.