Soddy vs Lincoln Co

Guru

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The umpire behind the plate had some sort of a problem with Lincoln County's Pitcher. The Pitcher asked for a new ball and he would not give it to the catcher he threw it over her head and in to the dirt so that the pitcher would have to walk up and bend over and pick it up. The umpire acted as if it made him mad that she asked for one. Then later she asked for another ball and he would not let her have it. It was not like she asked for one everytime she faced a new batter. She probably asked for one 3 or 4 times during the whole game. If the Soddy batters could ask for time and step out of the box constantly, why would he not give the pitcher a new ball. That is not in any way why LC lost, LC did not bring there A game. I just thought it was uncalled for.

A pitcher is not allowed to get a new ball except for at the beggining of the inning before the batter gets up to bat..or of course if the ball is hit out or is ripped.

A pitcher is not allowed to get a new ball except for at the beggining of the inning before the batter gets up to bat..or of course if the ball is hit out or is ripped.

She said it had a funny place on the seems. But he said there was nothing wrong with it. I have just never seen an umpire act like that. I would not have thought anything about it, but he purposly threw it in the dirt out in front of her like it ticked him off. Then he tried to trick her into thinking he threw her a new ball by putting it in his bag moving his hand around and never swapped balls, just threw the same ball back to her. Struck me as strange. Don't think it was because he was for the other team or anything like that, just thought it was unprofessional. I was hoping it would fire our team up, but it was too late.

Umpires give pitchers new balls all the time.

Umpires can be funny sometimes. I helped coach the Lincoln County Middle School B team one year and we went to play Marshall County Middle and the umpire there would not let the girls swing the bat in the on deck circle. When we asked why, he said it distracted him. So I guess it all depends on the umpire as to what he will and will not allow.

I see why Soddy can't keep stats. 13 - 9 is not 6 it is 4. And yes we had 4 errors. I said we did not bring our A game. And no I am not a Clifford Hater. Don't even know the man. Not even a Soddy Hater.

14.2.3 Base Hit: A batted ball that permits the batter to reach first base safely because of a fair hit; because a runner is declared out for being hit by a batted ball or because the umpire is hit by a batted ball; or when a fielder attempts to put out a preceding runner but is unsuccessful, although there is no fielding error and the official scorer believes the batter-runner would have reached first base with perfect fielding; when a batter reaches first base safely on a fair ball hit with such force or so slowly that any fielder attempting to make a play has no opportunity to do so. A hit shall be scored even if the fielder deflects the ball from or cuts off another fielder who could have put out a runner

Now a math lesson: Our 13 hits are 4 different from your 9 hits. If you take the 2 errors we have listed and add the 4 hits difference, which must be errors then you get 6 errors. (2+4=6) I hope you understand that I am saying if they are not hits then they are counted as errors.

Second, you clam 5 hits and you only had 5 base runners the whole game. Second inning #11 hits a Homerun (hit #1). Fourth inning #4 reaches on error, still 1 hit. She was picked off. Fifth inning #3 hits into right field (hit #2)

Seventh inning # 8 hits into the 5-6 hole (hit#3) Then in the 7th #11 has a BLOOP single to make it hit # 4.

The only thing I can figure is that you counted the error as a hit, thus padding your stats.

Edited by trojan35

14.2.3 Base Hit: A batted ball that permits the batter to reach first base safely because of a fair hit; because a runner is declared out for being hit by a batted ball or because the umpire is hit by a batted ball; or when a fielder attempts to put out a preceding runner but is unsuccessful, although there is no fielding error and the official scorer believes the batter-runner would have reached first base with perfect fielding; when a batter reaches first base safely on a fair ball hit with such force or so slowly that any fielder attempting to make a play has no opportunity to do so. A hit shall be scored even if the fielder deflects the ball from or cuts off another fielder who could have put out a runner

Now a math lesson: Our 13 hits are 4 different from your 9 hits. If you take the 2 errors we have listed and add the 4 hits difference, which must be errors then you get 6 errors. (2+4=6) I hope you understand that I am saying if they are not hits then they are counted as errors.

Second, you clam 5 hits and you only had 5 base runners the whole game. Second inning #11 hits a Homerun (hit #1). Fourth inning #4 reaches on error, still 1 hit. She was picked off. Fifth inning #3 hits into right field (hit #2)

Seventh inning # 8 hits into the 5-6 hole (hit#3) Then in the 7th #11 has a BLOOP single to make it hit # 4.

The only thing I can figure is that you counted the error as a hit, thus padding your stats.

OK, wait a minute?? You give the rule describing what is a "hit" and suggest they are not counting errors and padding stats. But aren't you doing the same thing( #4 reaches on a error)????

As long as parents are keeping the books, (BOOKS), you will have these disagreements!!! :flower:

I think he is saying before #4 batted, they had one hit, and after #4 batted, there was still one hit.

I agree there will always be differences but it's the really obvious things that stand out. I've even seen a team-and this was a high level team at one time- call in as "hits" total baserunners-hits, walks, errors, fielder's choice, any time a girl physically made it to first base. Then there was the time a mom was mad her girl didn't make all-district so she called in her daughter as 4-4 in a district tournament game, and the girl didn't make it to first in any way-walk, hit or error.

Fielder's choice is the big thing I notice in box scores the day after, as causing differences in what are judged hits. Around here at least they seems to cause more discrepancies than errors.

You'd have to watch them most or all of their games but I don't see SD as continually padding their numbers. In the latest Free Press stats their highest batting average among regulars is .433 (Wood). Then it goes to about .425, .415, .375. Good numbers but for the runs they usually score, if they were padding the books on a regular basis I'd have expected several approaching .500. They also look to average about 1 double per game, again that looks like they call it well and don't give extra base hits just because a girl ends up on that base (ball goes home and runner takes second, for example).

All that said at least some of the teams are recording their numbers and calling them in. There's been a big decline around Chattanooga of teams submitting their numbers for publication. I can see wanting to keep sleepers under the radar or not wanting opponents to know if a player is in a slump, but some of it also just looks like disinterest in getting players publicity they deserve.

Edited by Indian

If you or anyone thinks they could have gotten #4 out on that HIT you are crazy. And yes I do believe SD pads their stats. It seems pretty strange to me that we have only played them twice in two years and they count pretty much everything as a hit. I don't think I am the one that needs a lesson on what is a hit, but thank you anyway.

What two plays did you count as errors, because I can think of more than two off the top of my head. I do not keep the stats for our team, I just heard some discussing them and heard 4 errors.

Edited by Softball1001

OK, wait a minute?? You give the rule describing what is a "hit" and suggest they are not counting errors and padding stats. But aren't you doing the same thing( #4 reaches on a error)????

As long as parents are keeping the books, (BOOKS), you will have these disagreements!!! :flower:

Look at it this way,you can't pad the score. I don't know any college coach that payees attention to high school stats.

Look at it this way,you can't pad the score. I don't know any college coach that payees attention to high school stats.

That is true. Don't know too many college coaches that even care about high school games in general. I guess I will just have to agree to disagree with the hits and errors.

This is SOOO true!!! However, I know of a college here in Middle Tn that counted EVERYTHING as a hit this year!!! Ex: Our left fielder, standing flat footed, had a fly ball hit right in her glove and bounce out.....HIT!!!!!! Some folks told me before the game everything would be a hit that day, but I thought they were joking!!!

Congrats to all the girls that played the game!!! :flower:

Ok, everyone knows that I am pulling for Soddy due to them being in our district. BUT for a Soddy fan (sounds more like the guy who does the stats)to accuse anyone of padding stats is the funniest thing I have every heard! I have went to the game and then read the paper the next day. Everyone in the district laughs and jokes how the writer for the Chatt paper graduated from Soddy. Even the parents laugh at it! Come on man don't be that guy!!!

Edited by tnsoftball