Switching schools and remaining eligible a problem in in Memphis

KnoxReb

people who wont to cheat will find a way to do it no matter what. I hear, and this is a rumor that I heard, there are middle schools that are holding there 8th grade players back and getting them another year of middle school football to get a better chance of being a star in high school. Has any one else ever heard of this being done in the state? I don't know how this could be legal.

While there may be some bad apples and rumors true or untrue, painting memphis with a broad brush might be the wrong thing to do. Many parents and fans within Memphis have complained about a lot of things mentioned here for some time and inadvertantly mention things they really don't realize are against rules. That is really no excuse and some see so much going on they assume it is all right, it seems. The way the Memphis school system has been organized, the local system thinks they have control of what is going ithout any oversight. The TSSAA does seem to know of the problem but the system has so many, that is just one of many. Parents and fans will get control of the many issues because they have first hand responsibility. No one wants to be accused.

Aint nobody answered my question yet.

Someone from Memphis should now know that it is against the rules to do this no matter whether as alleged its a public school or a private school. The TSSAA handbook specifically says it cannot be done and if it is shown that it is, they will do what they have done lately. They will call out those doing it publicly and suspend the child from high school play. Also alledgely doing this will likely have some compliance with some administrators and coaches from the high school and the middle school. I would hate to think someone will have that on their record. And if what alleged is going on about the transfer of players from Memphis into Missisippi and possibly Arkansas by some coaches to extend the players playing time, no one has mentioned on here that I have seen that it is going on. But if it is, the parents and fans will do what this poster has done and call them out. If you are absolutely sure this is being done and on a consistant basis, call the TSSAA in Hermitage or email CoachT at coacht.com. You will have to get involved personally if it is happening. Edited by PHargis

Some programs will send players to "home school" between 8 and 9th grade to skirt the rules. Then they enter 9th grade when they should be in 10th. I have heard of this going on at some high and mighty programs in the state.

OK, here is what's happening, after I talked again with my buddy. Kids are passing the 7th or 8th grade in school but the parents are keeping them at home so they will fail because of the school systems attendence policy. That way they FAIL, but are allowed to play as an 8th grader for a second year and they also get to play as a 9th grader in two years. Now my buddy says this is within the T$$AA rules, but if it is OK, it just don't sound right for parents to do this. Why would parents go to this level of trying to "cheat" for there child, what is this teaching there child. It may be legal but IT AINT RIGHT AND THAT'S CHEATING!!!

Edited by devilsden

OK, here is what's happening, after I talked again with my buddy. Kids are passing the 7th or 8th grade in school but the parents are keeping them at home so they will fail because of the school systems attendence policy. That way they FAIL, but are allowed to play as an 8th grader for a second year and they also get to play as a 9th grader in two years. Now my buddy says this is within the T$$AA rules, but if it is OK, it just don't sound right for parents to do this. Why would parents go to this level of trying to "cheat" for there child, what is this teaching there child. It may be legal but IT AINT RIGHT AND THAT'S CHEATING!!!

Good point and a call to the TSSAA will clear that up the way you have explained it.However each case has different points. If you go to the TSSAA handbook, page 44 and look at the questions, you will find possibly an answer to your question partially. Thats a high school answer but reason says a Middle Schooler who does not pass the 8th grade can't be eligible for athletics when taking the grade again. Passed that reason, the TSSAA has to answer the question. Your buddy may be correct but if he is there are other circumstances to the facts you have given.

My observation is this. Parents and fans who have questions about rules that seem to be breaking rules owe it not only to their child to find the answer to questions like this BUT use the situation, in finding the answer, to teach the child the reason for the rule and why its not allowed. It says to the child that cheating is not right. If for some reason, adminstratively, it was allowed to happen, that becomes another issue. The real person to ask is the TSSAA or the principal of the school. Sometimes even fans or parents may be given the wrong facts, not very often, but it has happened. The TSSAA has the right facts and they will not steer you wrong.

You seem like a person who is trying to teach a young person the lessons of life.

Good luck.

phargis,

Thank you for your comments. If the middle school is not a TMSAA school then does the no play rule in there 2nd eight grade year apply?

You have got me there. I would agree it might not unless there is some way for there to be some sanction when entering high school and then it would be quite a bit of trouble. My suggestion about the TSSAA still stands. Finding the most flagerant schools and posting them on a site could be your best answer so that schools playing them can know and either play them or not I believe I have found that if an individual wants to skirt the rules in anything, they will find a way to do it. At the cost of private schools, it would cost a great deal to do it. It is an issue between who it is bothering and who wants to pursue it. The answer to your question might be another question. If it was found it happened and the player entered high school and it was found there, what would be the results. Ask the TSSAA. Hogan says its been going on forever in some areas and I would guess you would have to know which of those schools arent in TMSAA. Since they all may be doing it and they have to play each other, I guess everything is even. Every school signs a contract that they will abide by TSSAA rules if they are in TSSAA. Something tells me that admissions to a high school who is in TSSAA could tell of any irregularity. They could not tell as to why. Call the TSSAA. They put the rule in. Somehow I did not catch that the situation of the poster who I orginally answered was posting about a private school.

Another question might be though which is a real time thought. What about parents who want to wait a year to enter their child in the first grade for whatever reason, maturity or to keep too many kids from going to college at the same time or a medical reason. What would be the answer? First or eighth. Sometimes there is not the right answer but the best answer.

Edited by PHargis