Harpeth Baseball Head Coach Opening?

carefulwhatuwishfor

Anyone who has seen my posts in the past knows that I am 100% behind sports programs, what you may not know is that I had a dsughter in the band. I don't think it serves our best intrests to be vocal about what other programs receive. We are not comparing apples here, band is an actual class, you receive credit and a grade for. Nobody receives credits for participation in sports. Also, the annual budget to operate the Harpeth band program is well over 100k, all but the 10k is fundraised by parents.

While I would support the school system showing financial support for our sports programs, I would not support taking away from others. The Harpeth High School marching band is the most succesful extr-curricular program in our county, I know, I was in it for 4 years as a parent booster. They are former State Champs and perrenial contenders for that title. Lets push for our money and leave theres alone.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who has seen my posts in the past knows that I am 100% behind sports programs, what you may not know is that I had a dsughter in the band. I don't think it serves our best intrests to be vocal about what other programs receive. We are not comparing apples here, band is an actual class, you receive credit and a grade for. Nobody receives credits for participation in sports. Also, the annual budget to operate the Harpeth band program is well over 100k, all but the 10k is fundraised by parents.

While I would support the school system showing financial support for our sports programs, I would not support taking away from others. The Harpeth High School marching band is the most succesful extr-curricular program in our county, I know, I was in it for 4 years as a parent booster. They are former State Champs and perrenial contenders for that title. Lets push for our money and leave theres alone.

Well, another burr under my saddle is that participating at the varsity level in a sport isn't worthy of a P.E. credit. And for the number of student-athletes involved in the athletic programs, their combined budgets are well over 100K a year and we split up the fundraisers among each other. Baseball raised and spent 35k alone last year for a 2 month season. I don't know. Just rubs me the wrong way. What could we do staked with $3500 to start the school year?

In the same amount of time, how many student-athletes have had scholarship money based on their sport? Somebody told me that Band was a Fine Art. So is a well executed bunt. Athletics has provided numerous opportunities for Cheatham County kids to continue their education. Heck the most famous women's coach in the world is an alumnus of this county and we don't give any financial support to the athletic programs from county funds. It's a travesty.

Edited by ksgovols

Well, another burr under my saddle is that participating at the varsity level in a sport isn't worthy of a P.E. credit. And for the number of student-athletes involved in the athletic programs, their combined budgets are well over 100K a year and we split up the fundraisers among each other. Baseball raised and spent 35k alone last year for a 2 month season. I don't know. Just rubs me the wrong way. What could we do staked with $3500 to start the school year?

In the same amount of time, how many student-athletes have had scholarship money based on their sport? Somebody told me that Band was a Fine Art. So is a well executed bunt. Athletics has provided numerous opportunities for Cheatham County kids to continue their education. Heck the most famous women's coach in the world is an alumnus of this county and we don't give any financial support to the athletic programs from county funds. It's a travesty.

Well ks, at least you have an athletic minded principal for last year and this year. I know his hands are tied some times, but at least you know he is going to do what is best for the student athlete at Harpeth. Wish he was in place in 2004 (like howdoitknow2 said) and things might be a whole lot different in South Cheatham. Good Luck to the new baseball and softball coach(I know him well and he will do a good job) :thumb:

Well ks, at least you have an athletic minded principal for last year and this year. I know his hands are tied some times, but at least you know he is going to do what is best for the student athlete at Harpeth. Wish he was in place in 2004 (like howdoitknow2 said) and things might be a whole lot different in South Cheatham. Good Luck to the new baseball and softball coach(I know him well and he will do a good job) :thumb:

Agreed about Harpeth's principal. Cheatham County doesn't have much in the way of support for athletics sitting on the school board is the problem. That needs to change voters. There at least should be a voice or two and the Title IX guy doesn't count. There was property and Parks and Rec grant money all along for those willing to get off their keisters and work a little.

I've said it many times. People in this county kill me when it comes to this topic. Sure you have people like ksgovols & Hoganknows who are knowledgeable about what has gone on around here and are willing to fight to change it for the better HOWEVER..........

You also have many people around here who could simply care less as to what has happened here since 2004. Those people are simply too "simple minded" to realize that this upcoming year's graduating class will be the 8TH CONSECUTIVE GROUP that gets the shaft thanks to people on that board (i.e. TL, GH, MC, DP, TW, etc.).

There are many small town communities (i.e. White House & Milan) where if you tried to do what has been done in Cheatham County then you'd have been run out on a rail.

I wish things would go back to the way they were "pre-2004" when athletics mattered around here and the kids actually had a fighting chance thanks to the support they were given :thumb:

If nobody thinks that this is something that does matter look at the success of teams back then and compare it to the success since 2004. Outside of the 2006 Sycamore team, the 2009 Harpeth team, and the 2004-2005 Cheatham County teams there really hasn't been a "successful" team like the teams that you had at Cheatham in the mid-90s, Harpeth in the late 90s, and Sycamore in the early 00s.

Our school board is under the impression that athletics don't matter... I hear it all the time... the focus should remain only in the classroom. Education is key and must come first. The lack of support for competitive athletics in our schools is the main reason for the steady increase of violence and drugs in our schools, as well as the overall lack of community support. Why is it that so hard to understand.

Take a moment to look back to your high school days 25+ years ago. Friday night football was a "community" event... not just a game that was played and few attended. Generations of former players, coaches, and parents filled the stands every Friday night. Everyone in the community was at the game supporting the "local" team. It was something that brought the community together. I grew up in one of these communities that still flourishes each and every year because they haven't forgotten those values.

Our country as a whole has lost its way in regards to what is and is not important. While it is important to get a good education, the fact remains that if you do not learn how to deal with life's adversities one will never be truly successful. Don't believe me... read this.

http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2005/2005303.pdf

This report examines the relationship between participation in high school athletics and later-life outcomes. This report has been conducted and updated multiple times over the past 30 years. Each time the report consistently finds positive relationships between high school athletic participation and educational, labor market, and health outcomes.

High school athletes at the elite and varsity levels of participation experienced greater educational and labor market success than nonathletes. The health outcomes

for high school athletes included lesser rates of smoking at the elite and varsity levels of participation and greater rates of participation in fitness activities and in group sports/recreation activities at all three levels of participation, compared to non-athletes.

The study has consistently found that student-athletes excel at a higher rate after high school through their participation in high school athletics. The life skills that are learned in athletics are as important than any subject matter that is taught in a classroom.

THE JOB OF THE SCHOOL SYSTEM IS TO PREPARE STUDENTS FOR THEIR LIFE AHEAD so they can become PRODUCTIVE CITIZENS in our communities. IT IS NOT THE SCHOOL BOARD'S JOB to "DICTATE" by injecting their personal philosophies.

If you think that athletics don't matter... do your research! The lack of support of our athletic programs in schools today is the primary reason why our schools have less pride, community support and students who care about getting an education. High School is supposed to be the culmination of becoming an adult. Instead we are graduating children who have not learned the life skills they need when they go off to college. Because of this, they ultimately fail. It's more than just a school book that teaches our children. What a child learns in a gym or on a field will teach them so much more than what they learn in a classroom. Those skills prepare them for the things that NO BOOK TEACHES!

Our school board is under the impression that athletics don't matter... I hear it all the time... the focus should remain only in the classroom. Education is key and must come first. The lack of support for competitive athletics in our schools is the main reason for the steady increase of violence and drugs in our schools, as well as the overall lack of community support. Why is it that so hard to understand.

Take a moment to look back to your high school days 25+ years ago. Friday night football was a "community" event... not just a game that was played and few attended. Generations of former players, coaches, and parents filled the stands every Friday night. Everyone in the community was at the game supporting the "local" team. It was something that brought the community together. I grew up in one of these communities that still flourishes each and every year because they haven't forgotten those values.

Our country as a whole has lost its way in regards to what is and is not important. While it is important to get a good education, the fact remains that if you do not learn how to deal with life's adversities one will never be truly successful. Don't believe me... read this.

This report examines the relationship between participation in high school athletics and later-life outcomes. This report has been conducted and updated multiple times over the past 30 years. Each time the report consistently finds positive relationships between high school athletic participation and educational, labor market, and health outcomes.

High school athletes at the elite and varsity levels of participation experienced greater educational and labor market success than nonathletes. The health outcomes

for high school athletes included lesser rates of smoking at the elite and varsity levels of participation and greater rates of participation in fitness activities and in group sports/recreation activities at all three levels of participation, compared to non-athletes.

The study has consistently found that student-athletes excel at a higher rate after high school through their participation in high school athletics. The life skills that are learned in athletics are as important than any subject matter that is taught in a classroom.

THE JOB OF THE SCHOOL SYSTEM IS TO PREPARE STUDENTS FOR THEIR LIFE AHEAD so they can become PRODUCTIVE CITIZENS in our communities. IT IS NOT THE SCHOOL BOARD'S JOB to "DICTATE" by injecting their personal philosophies.

If you think that athletics don't matter... do your research! The lack of support of our athletic programs in schools today is the primary reason why our schools have less pride, community support and students who care about getting an education. High School is supposed to be the culmination of becoming an adult. Instead we are graduating children who have not learned the life skills they need when they go off to college. Because of this, they ultimately fail. It's more than just a school book that teaches our children. What a child learns in a gym or on a field will teach them so much more than what they learn in a classroom. Those skills prepare them for the things that NO BOOK TEACHES!

POST OF THE YEAR...AWESOME!!! Hogan agrees 100000000%%%%% Great Post :thumb:

GREAT POST!!!!!

• 3 months later...

You trying to get rid of him? :roflol:

I wouldn't think so. He'd be more likely to move laterally within AAA or up to the right position for a college I guess. Brad's roots are in White County (who's looking for a baseball coach as well).

I do not see Coach Frasier going anywhere. Not sure what his record is at Shelbyville but it has to be way under.500. Who would want him? College? Is it that easy to get a College coaching position? LOL

Great post and great article. With the new changes in the education system and more of an emphasis being put on education athletics are starting to become less and less important to the people that make the majority of the big decisions. I completely agree with putting more of an emphasis on education but athletics should not be pushed to the backseat because of it. Like the article says, a schools athletes are usually the most successful people in the school and are the most likely to continue their education. A lot of people that don't have real ties to athletics believe that it is just an extracurricular activity that is all about wins and losses. I believe that if you really look at what most coaches and programs are about you will find that they are teaching way more than just how to play a sport. Most put the success of their players off the field before what happens on the field. Even when you only look at what a sport teaches you on the practice and playing field it is so valuable. You learn to work hard, commit, persevere, be a part of a team, and so much more. Hopefully the people making the major decisions don't forget about this. It would be a shame for high school athletics to continue to slide back on the list of important things.