THS Greg Stubbs Resigns as Viking Head Coach

Cap1

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard he had some medical problems going on.He was a good coach and caught alot of mess over there with some of the play calling he did,THS will take a hit but i think they'll find someone to come in and keep it going.After D-B and SHill,THS has got to be the 3rd best job in the area.Dont be surpised if you dont see B.W Holt walking the side lines next yr.And it wouldnt be a bad choice he did a HECK of a job at my former school ROCKY MOUNT SENIOR HIGH in North Carolina.I know he had some problems last time he was there but everyone needs a 2nd chance.My prayers are with Coach STUBBS and his Family.

From the BTCS website:

Stubbs steps down as Vikings head football coach

Bristol Tennessee City Schools announced today that Coach Greg Stubbs will step down after ten years as head football coach. Stubbs holds an impressive 94-27 record and has claimed four conference championships, one co-championship, and three undefeated seasons.

"It's a young man's game, and I've got to accept the fact that it's my time to go," Stubbs said regarding his difficult decision to retire from a sport that has consumed most of his life. Stubbs has coached football for 37 years.

At East Tennessee State University, Stubbs was a tailback who broke several school records including most career yards rushing. He began his coaching career in 1974 at Sullivan East High School. From there he moved to Georgia to coach at Jeff Davis High School and Wayne County High School. After spending nine years at Science Hill, Stubbs came to Tennessee High in 1994 and was named head coach in 2001.

Stubbs appreciates former Director of Schools Steve Dixon for his confidence and support in appointing him as head coach. They both shared a vision for the Viking football program that transcended into numerous successful seasons while creating an atmosphere in which athletes developed strong character. Athletic Director Paul Pendleton has been instrumental as well in providing the tools necessary for the program's success. Stubbs notes, "Mr. Pendleton has always been very gracious in supporting me and my efforts." Stubbs adds that Jim Butcher and Nelson Pyle, current and former Tennessee High principals, both recognized the importance of athletics as a means of enhancing students' academic experiences. Stubbs also acknowledges his assistant coaches who have dedicated their time and effort toward achieving success and Dr. Gary Lilly, director of schools, for his confidence and support. Lastly, Stubbs recognizes all of his players who believed in his philosophy of winning through dedication, a strong work ethic, and having a "family" relationship through the team concept.

The Viking football program is rich in tradition that dates back to 1928. Every Viking coach and athlete who has ever played in the Stone Castle has priceless memories, and Stubbs is no exception. His most precious memory occurred in the 13th game of an undefeated season - his first season as head coach. The Vikings (12-0) lost to Morristown West in the quarterfinals. The game had just ended, and his players were all huddled together in the end zone. Stubbs remembers that "it was an intense, emotional moment shared that neither he nor any of his players will ever forget."

Coaching football has provided Stubbs the opportunity of building solid foundations and changing the lives of hundreds of athletes. This has been demonstrated by the myriad of positive interactions he has had with parents and community leaders over the past ten years. These connections bring him tremendous satisfaction and joy by providing confirmation that he has touched lives.

Football for most head coaches is a 24/7 job that allows little time for family. It will be difficult for Stubbs to let go of one of his life's greatest passions; however, he looks forward to the future and spending more time with his family. While Stubbs will miss the role that allowed him to cultivate his players into disciplined young men, he leaves behind a legacy of success that future coaches will aspire to achieve.

I just got the word that Coach Stubbs just stepped down as the Vikings head football coach ending the winingest tenure at head coach in Viking history.

Its sad to hear this Stubbs is a good Coach.Someone said they heard that he had a stroke, if this is the case I pray he gets well soon. I wish Mr. Stubbs and the TN High Vikings the best of luck.

Does anyone in Viking land know who is going to take over. Is there someone on staff to get it or will they go outside. Summer is here and I would assume that they will try to do something as quickly as possible for workouts and passing leagues.

They have the job posted on the BTCS website with the closing date listed as June 7th. But unless the job is listed somewhere else I have to wonder how many could possibly even know about it in that short timeframe. I'm sure most coaches and assistant coaches in the area know about it due to word of mouth, but I'm not so sure about coaches from other areas.

They have the job posted on the BTCS website with the closing date listed as June 7th. But unless the job is listed somewhere else I have to wonder how many could possibly even know about it in that short timeframe. I'm sure most coaches and assistant coaches in the area know about it due to word of mouth, but I'm not so sure about coaches from other areas.

Thanks for the update. Maybe someone can update on the applicants. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the update. Maybe someone can update on the applicants. Keep us posted.

For some reason, I see TN High keeping it in house, promoting from within, or getting someone who used to be affiliated with the program....then again, TN High people might know better.

I'd say a TON of people know about the job being open.