Knox Webb & DII-A

BigENS

Lots of talk coming out about this region and Knox Webbs dominance. One they are playing Ensworth this year and it will get ugly for the spartans real quick. Knox Webb couldn't handle DII-AA so they decided to take their ball and go to DII-A. And before the yocals up in knoxville get on here and start blasting away about school size and being where they are suppose to be, Ensworth could easily play in DII-A with their enrollment as could a few other schools. Even BGA who should drop down chooses to stay up. The word is that when K Webb and ECS decided to drop down they did so saying they would win a few state titles and then come back up. We will see if that happens, K webb seems to be pretty dominant in most sports in DII-A. As for the rest of that region, Coach Wades old stomping grounds should be alright. They will compete but highly doubtful they make a deep run. FRA is loading up with talent and has a great coach on the sidelines could be a team that cause serious trouble for the rest. DCA is having some troubles with players from what I'm hearing. From theiur RB getting kicked out of school to their QB constantly threatening to leave I dont see them making any sort of run. That trainwreck could be fun to watch though!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any football team, regardless of division or class, will have their hands full when they play Knox Webb. They are a well coached football team. I understand your point that they choose to stay down in II-A when they really should be playing up. However, they do schedule tough non division foes by choice, especially this year.

At least the Spartans aren't afraid to play Maryville or Alcoa, unlike the other private powers.....

MBA and Ensworth were engaged in discussions last year to play a two-year series with Alcoa and Maryville. MBA and Ensworth wanted to play one year in the Knoxville area with return games in Nashville (proceeds to be donated to charity) the following year. Alcoa/Maryville, for whatever reason, refused (they wanted all games to be played in Blount County), and talks were concluded with all parties going their own way.

The problem in my view is not that Webb chooses to "play down" (i.e. play in the division which TSSAA rules place them). The problem is that the TSSAA cutoff between D II divisions needs to be adjusted. There is clearly something wrong when a team such as Webb, which has an enrollment greater than Ensworth, BA and BGA, is in the same division with schools that have less than 20 boys in each class. I believe that the dividing line between Division IIA and IIAA is 500 students; if they changed it to 350 or 400 it would leave the division pretty much intact and competitive, minus Webb.

Edited by RedRobin

MBA and Ensworth were engaged in discussions last year to play a two-year series with Alcoa and Maryville. MBA and Ensworth wanted to play one year in the Knoxville area with return games in Nashville (proceeds to be donated to charity) the following year. Alcoa/Maryville, for whatever reason, refused (they wanted all games to be played in Blount County), and talks were concluded with all parties going their own way.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I've always been an advocate of Tennessee's private powers because they actually will step up and play top-notch OOS competition(ie. Trinity, St.X, S.Panola, Byrnes, etc). I went back and forth last year with the Alcoa/Maryville bloggers about them stepping it up. I was saying that Webb actually had the moxy to take on Maryville and Alcoa down in their comfy confines. I wish Ensworth,MBA,MUS, or BA would do the same. I know, it's only fair for them to have to travel to Nashville the next year for a return game.

I still think Knoxville Webb will win their region this year. FRA is a year or two away. They are bringing in some serious talent over there. Davidsons glory days might be behind them now that we snatched their coach. The rest of the division is very weak outside of DCA, but as I said before, they have alot of issues from what I am hearing from both players and parents. On a final note, Knoxville Webb has no chance against Ensworth. Kudos for scheduling but go ahead and mark that down as a loss.

Their only weakness is depth... They only dressed about 30-40 players.

Obviously the Blance brothers are very talented and are a threat on any play to take it the distance, however what made Webb good the past two years was they had above average lines for them on both sides of the ball. The 2009 team had good depth and 17 seniors while last years team had good size in the lines with speed in all skill positions. Over the past two years they have had heavy graduation loss in both lines and have a lot of work to do in order to open holes against anybody they play this year for the Blances to run successfully.

They will dress no more than 40 players including freshman and will only return two starters on both lines total. However, on offense they will have 3-4 RBs who are very talented along with a playmaker at WR. QB is a question as the 4-year starter has graduated. On defense they return all LBs and DBs but only one DL. Their LBs are hitters who can run while their DBs are young but will be special this year and next.

With that said, they will have a tough first two games with Maryville and Ensworth. Once they move into region play I see FRA and DCA being tough while I'm not sure about the others. This year more than most they have zero depth. They will be playing a bunch of kids both ways and staying free of injuries will be very important for them to have success.

With that said, they will have a tough first two games with Maryville and Ensworth. Once they move into region play I see FRA and DCA being tough while I'm not sure about the others. This year more than most they have zero depth. They will be playing a bunch of kids both ways and staying free of injuries will be very important for them to have success.

Two big losses to Maryville and Ensworth. FRA should be the only team in that region that could cause problems for Knoxville Webb. DCA is self-imploding as we speak.

Two big losses to Maryville and Ensworth. FRA should be the only team in that region that could cause problems for Knoxville Webb. DCA is self-imploding as we speak.

BigENS

All you do on this site is bash the smaller schools and the players. We all know your are from Ensworth so worry about that division. You have no business on this posting ,start threads about your own division. You are BIG ENSWORTH so worry about what is happening at your school and leave all this smaller schools that you do not even play alone !! Noone can compete with Ensworth Blah Blah Blah.... Get over yourself Mr. know it all !!! Is my suggestion to you.

BigENS

All you do on this site is bash the smaller schools and the players. We all know your are from Ensworth so worry about that division. You have no business on this posting ,start threads about your own division. You are BIG ENSWORTH so worry about what is happening at your school and leave all this smaller schools that you do not even play alone !! Noone can compete with Ensworth Blah Blah Blah.... Get over yourself Mr. know it all !!! Is my suggestion to you.

Read all of the posts, we play Knoxville Webb, You're a whining idiot.