TSSAA Umpire Fees

binns37388

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition to raising the DH rate to $105, the rate for a JV-Varsity DH is $95 with the JV game limited to 5 innings and a 1 hour & 15 time limit. The single game rate remains at $65. This is the first raise for officials in 4 years in baseball.

Good for the umpires. 1st raise in 4 years. And a 1 hour 15 min time limit. So, $95 for no more than 4 hours work at a job with less than stringent qualifications and relatively zero accountability. Super.

Any idea when the coaches last got a raise?

In addition to raising the DH rate to $105, the rate for a JV-Varsity DH is $95 with the JV game limited to 5 innings and a 1 hour & 15 time limit. The single game rate remains at $65. This is the first raise for officials in 4 years in baseball.

I have to wonder at the TSSAA'a higher-ups rationale for leaving the single-game fee at $65 though. Any word as to how/why that decision was reached? Makes me wonder now if we can expect to see a decline in DHeaders?And a time-limit/inning restriction on JV games?

How would one go about becoming a TSSAA umpire?

Glad you seem interested.

Go to www.tssaa.org and click on the "Officials" link or simply call TSSAA and they will send you the required info.

You must be 18 yrs of age, and I believe no criminal record(felonies), also there was once a requirement that a coach/administrator/another TSSAA official had to "recommend" the new applicant, not certain if all those are still required or not. You can also contact any HS coach and have them give you the name of the person who assigns the umpires for their games to get you started. GOOD LUCK!!

Good for the umpires. 1st raise in 4 years. And a 1 hour 15 min time limit. So, $95 for no more than 4 hours work at a job with less than stringent qualifications and relatively zero accountability. Super.

Any idea when the coaches last got a raise?

Sir, the coaches do not get raises from TSSAA; their school handles salaries.

May I also suggest that you strap on a pair of shinguards, a chest protector, plate shoes, a mask, and put an indicator in your hand before judging the work we do-most because we love the game from having played in HS/college and desire to give baCk to the game we so love. If you prefer to not do that, you are welcome to attend a game and watch my crew as we perform to the best of our "less than stringent qualifications" and I will be most happy to show you the way to the parking lot after we eject your sorry butt for disrespecting my partners and/or me. "YOU ARE OUTTA HERE"!!AS POINTING TO THE NEAREST EXIT AND/OR PARKING LOT FOR YOUR TIMELY DEPARTURE!!

May I also suggest that you strap on a pair of shinguards, a chest protector, plate shoes, a mask, and put an indicator in your hand before judging the work we do-most because we love the game from having played in HS/college and desire to give baCk to the game we so love. If you prefer to not do that, you are welcome to attend a game and watch my crew as we perform to the best of our "less than stringent qualifications" and I will be most happy to show you the way to the parking lot after we eject your sorry butt for disrespecting my partners and/or me. "YOU ARE OUTTA HERE"!!AS POINTING TO THE NEAREST EXIT AND/OR PARKING LOT FOR YOUR TIMELY DEPARTURE!!

Don't forget your "cup". You gotta have that "cup". :lol:

Comments like this do not help with the stereotype of umpires having a chip on their shoulder and wanting to prove a point they are the ones in charge.

I want a crew that shows up to the game, and at the end of the night you did not notice they were there. Unfortunately, in the last 4 years those crews are few and far between.

Comments like this do not help with the stereotype of umpires having a chip on their shoulder and wanting to prove a point they are the ones in charge.

I want a crew that shows up to the game, and at the end of the night you did not notice they were there. Unfortunately, in the last 4 years those crews are few and far between.

Mr. Bertier, I fully understand and hopefully you do not see me as having a constant chip on my shoulder. I have officiated HS baseball since 1978 and hopefully can continue to do so for another 3 years. The comment made about our inferior abilities just set me off; I do apologize to you and any others offended, altho not to the original poster.Just to back my statement about not having a chip on my shoulder, my last coach ejection was somewhere back in the mid-90's as was my last player ejection.I love this sport and I just hated to see my fellow "blues" being given a bad rap from someone who may neither have ever coached/officiated. I agree whole-heartedly that the best officials are the ones you never realized were on the field."Play Ball"!!

Mr. Bertier, I fully understand and hopefully you do not see me as having a constant chip on my shoulder. I have officiated HS baseball since 1978 and hopefully can continue to do so for another 3 years. The comment made about our inferior abilities just set me off; I do apologize to you and any others offended, altho not to the original poster.Just to back my statement about not having a chip on my shoulder, my last coach ejection was somewhere back in the mid-90's as was my last player ejection.I love this sport and I just hated to see my fellow "blues" being given a bad rap from someone who may neither have ever coached/officiated. I agree whole-heartedly that the best officials are the ones you never realized were on the field."Play Ball"!!

I agree and fully respect umpires. I know it is a tough job as I do it in the summer once coaching is over. What I have seen recently with TSSAA umpires is that they have rabbit ears. They let everything said by coaches and parents to get to them emotionally. The best umpires understand this is an emotional game and emotions will run high at times and they handle situations accordingly. Honestly the worst high school umpires I have seen are those that have umped in the minors or college. They seem to see high school baseball as too good for them and are not approachable on matters.

The increase in pay for umps may hurt small programs whose funding is limited to begin with.