East Tennessee forecasts

PHargis

For those in District 1, the big 8, Sullivan South leads the District with a 4-0 record and has only lost to Sullivan East in a non District match 2-3. This does not include andy Tournament matches they have lost. For those who do not realize it playing in a large District such as this does present problems such a having to play 14 District matches and then likely scheduling 7 other matches and then a few Tournaments. I am familiar having to play in a large District and it could help you run up a good W-L record or just the opposite.

Realizing another school who is having a good season is Hardin Valley Academy who has lost one time to Anderson County and seems to be winning in the District.

For those in District 1, the big 8, Sullivan South leads the District with a 4-0 record and has only lost to Sullivan East in a non District match 2-3. This does not include andy Tournament matches they have lost. For those who do not realize it playing in a large District such as this does present problems such a having to play 14 District matches and then likely scheduling 7 other matches and then a few Tournaments. I am familiar having to play in a large District and it could help you run up a good W-L record or just the opposite.

Realizing another school who is having a good season is Hardin Valley Academy who has lost one time to Anderson County and seems to be winning in the District.

Actually, that was Sullivan Central that lost to Sullivan East. But you are correct that South leads the district at 4-0 along with Sullivan Central who is also 4-0. South has a big week as they play DB tonight and Central on Thursday.

tnreb, if you have the current standings, you might post them on here or if you like someone in the Big 8 could start putting scores on matches on the scoreboard so they can show up on the Standing pages on this site. As you might realize, there is interest in the Big 8 since they are one one of the strongest Districts is the past couple of years or maybe longer. Since the size of your District ties South up for 14 matches, it takes a while to play out of your District except for Tournaments at Pic and Choo Choo and by the time South plays a couple of matches in VA., keeping up is a little bit difficult but we are trying.

Edited by PHargis

Sullivan south did not lose to sullivan east..... Sullivan North beat Sullivan East

Edited by kr1416

Tennessee High won over Crockett, lost to Central, won over DB in 5 in a squeaker, lost to South in 3 but played well. Not sure what happened w/ Central. Maybe next time. So in conference THS is 2-2

My understanding was that Central lost to Sullivan East, however now a non-conference game for Central, et al.

Science Hill is tonight for THS.

Edited by TNKen

Give us thoughts who will win the regions.

Choo Choo Tournament....Farragut Lady Admirals....#2 out of 32 teams...matches won against Father Ryan, Dobyns Bennett, Sequoyah, Central, Cleveland, Baylor and yes, Anderson Co., we beat Soddy Daisy - twice...7 games back-to-back with no breaks before final gold bracket play with GPS...yes, we lost the final 2 to GPS but hopefully get a chance to play them at GPS in a few weeks

Well, the rumors of the demise of DB volleyball have been greatly exaggerated. The Tribe knocked off South last night, overcoming a 13-8 deficit in game 5 to win 3-2. As I have said for the past few years, South cannot play in front of a large, noisy crowd.

http://timesnews.net/article/9035563/d-b-outlasts-rival-south-in-marathon-big-8-clash

It's too bad that K2Wrong forgot to tell them they couldn't compete in East Tennessee and to kr1416, er, Coach Ratliff who went against the Big 8 coaches to have the regional final played in Morristown, the parents who sat behind DB's bench calling the kids and coaches names, and the South students who pelted DB's band and team with bottles at halftime of the football game Friday night, you know what they say about karma ....

Will DB come out of district, that remains to be seen, but they will compete. Don't say they are not a program and have only been good a couple of years. A little history lesson:

DOBYNS-BENNETT HIGH SCHOOL:

Year Record Conference District Region State

2003 24 - 19 Big 7 - 3rd Place 3rd Place

2004 41 - 9 Big 7 Co-Champions Champions Champions Final 8

2005 30 - 17 Big 9 Co-Champions 3rd Place

2006 31 - 17 Big 9 - 2nd Place Runner-up Semifinals

2007 48 - 10 Big 9 Co-Champions Runner-up Runner-up Final 4

2008 50 - 8 Big 9 Champions Champions Champions Final 4

2009 52 - 3 Big 8 Co-Champions Champions Champions Champions

2010 54 - 7 Big 8 Co-Champions Champions Champions 2nd Place

DB has been to state 5 of the last 7 years and have won or shared the Big 8 title for 6 of the last 7 years. Sounds like the program is in good hands!

Well, the rumors of the demise of DB volleyball have been greatly exaggerated. The Tribe knocked off South last night, overcoming a 13-8 deficit in game 5 to win 3-2. As I have said for the past few years, South cannot play in front of a large, noisy crowd.

http://timesnews.net/article/9035563/d-b-outlasts-rival-south-in-marathon-big-8-clash

It's too bad that K2Wrong forgot to tell them they couldn't compete in East Tennessee and to kr1416, er, Coach Ratliff who went against the Big 8 coaches to have the regional final played in Morristown, the parents who sat behind DB's bench calling the kids and coaches names, and the South students who pelted DB's band and team with bottles at halftime of the football game Friday night, you know what they say about karma ....

Will DB come out of district, that remains to be seen, but they will compete. Don't say they are not a program and have only been good a couple of years. A little history lesson:

DOBYNS-BENNETT HIGH SCHOOL:

Year Record Conference District Region State

2003 24 - 19 Big 7 - 3rd Place 3rd Place

2004 41 - 9 Big 7 Co-Champions Champions Champions Final 8

2005 30 - 17 Big 9 Co-Champions 3rd Place

2006 31 - 17 Big 9 - 2nd Place Runner-up Semifinals

2007 48 - 10 Big 9 Co-Champions Runner-up Runner-up Final 4

2008 50 - 8 Big 9 Champions Champions Champions Final 4

2009 52 - 3 Big 8 Co-Champions Champions Champions Champions

2010 54 - 7 Big 8 Co-Champions Champions Champions 2nd Place

DB has been to state 5 of the last 7 years and have won or shared the Big 8 title for 6 of the last 7 years. Sounds like the program is in good hands!

The only thing possibly bigger than DB's accomplishments is your ego. And watch out for the karma there, too. As I recall, South beat DB in one of their regular season games last year when DB went on to be second in the state, and I believe the co-champion in 2009 and 2010 of the district was South. It was a very close game last night and South had a bad game for sure. DB girls and their new coach played a great game and my congratulations to the NEW coach. I sure like her demeanor and business like attitude on court.

It is a fact that if South wants to get out of a very tough district this year, they are going to have to toughen up and play harder. It is also a known fact, since I was in high school in fact, that the loud, noisy fans are a big factor when you come to DB. However, I thought the referees did a great job of crowd control last night at the game.

Now, let's see, who beat DB? O, I know, it was Tennessee High. There are several teams who could be the spoiler this year. It will be interesting to see how it comes out. Much too early for BRAGGING. Isn't it funny how you can play with words making things seem what they are not? I myself liked the fourth game where South blew DB away 25-9 was it?

Edited by devotedvbfan

South has not played well at the Dome in the past several years (maybe ever). Likewise, DB has struggled at South. I saw the dominant Meghan Devine team crumble at South two years ago - of course they went on to win the state with that being their only loss. I guess the lesson should be one regular season match does not make or break a season.

Last night South made enough mistakes for 4 or 5 matches yet they were in a great position to win at the end. Credit DB as thay could have folded after the fourth game blowout and quick start for South in game 5. They made several really nice defensive plays late in game 5 to keep that match going. As I said in several posts way before the season started, DB has too many girls in the pipeline that have a lot of experience from club ball not to have a strong team. They have a good team that plays hard and anyone who plays them better be on top of their game or they will get beat.

Bottom line - with DB's earlier loss to TN High, South still controls its destiny in the District. Of course, South better forget DB, learn from its mistakes and turn its attention to Central who is undefeated in the District and in first place.

CAK just dominated Anderson County in straight sets. They were out set.....by far.....out hit and laughably out coached. Why don't you ask the AC coach about the height of CAK middle. Number 10 and number 9 for CAK are best all around players in Knoxville. AC was handily beaten today by a team that starts......an 8th grader, 4 freshman and a junior. K2ruth....any chance you want to change your Knoxville rankings??

PH, made me laugh!

First, CAK does NOT have the best AA coach. I think that title still belongs to Coach Neely at East Ridge. Not even the best in the top 5 in coaches in Knoxville. 6'6" is more like a 6'3" work in progress. I don't want to embaress her by using her name. Please don't because this is a nice family.

I would not put CAK in the top 10. In Knoxville Farragut, Karns, HV, and Catholic will all be better, as well as AC and Maryville which are close to home.

As far as Orcat, I think she is a little disappointed with the direction of the program. Sad that a school that was in the sub-state a couple of years ago will probably not have a winning season. Maybe coaching still has a little bit of impact!

I think play days are poor indicators of a teams strengths. When do the first real tournys start?

Announcements