Best Newspaper Coverage....

TheAnswer9

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tinker was one of the best sports editors I have ever known. Talk about someone who could utilize his skills and cover so many things...he was something else.

Posted by Swildcat1967:

No, Tinker is not back, I and several others miss him very much, He did more than I thuoght any one person could do. John Gullion is the sports editor now, and he does a good job! :o

Hey OS91, Are you from Cleveland? I have family that lives in Lyndhurst which is a Cleveland subarb on the west side. I have spent some summers in Cleveland and I am also a fan of the Indians (Although St. Louis is my favorite baseball team), Browns and Cavs. I used to listen to games on 1100 AM at night. My favorite all-time basketball player is Mark Price, I'll always have bad memories of "The Drive" and "The Fumble". I remember watching a preseason game in old Municipal Stadium. I was young at the time and it was only the second game I had attended in a big place like that. At the time, I didn't think it was a dump, but years later I realize that it was awful. Oh well, I think it's neat that there is another Cleveland fan out there.

Goose, I thought I was alone in this area who followed the big 3 closely. Glad to find another Browns, Cavs, and Indians fan out there that is very similiar. I was born in Elyria (Lorain County)which 8 miles west of downtown. My parents moved to Oliver Springs at age 6 where most of my mothers family lived.

Like you, I thought Municipal Staduim was the best staduim becasue of the size over 70,000 for a baseball staduim. From 7 until 14 I would spend summers in CLeveland with grandparents. Again, like you, I listened to 1100 AM religously ( reception was only good at night, so missed day games) to catch all sports talk and games of the Cavs, Indians, and Browns. I remember Daughtery, Nance, ""Hot Rod Williams, Ron Harper, and Mark Prive came togehter and listening to each game and being disappointed when The "shot" over Craig Ehlo and Michel Jordan slaying the Cavs every year on basketball.

Like you, Price was my favorite player- liked him before he was a Cav during his Georgia Tech Days. Remember Joe Carter, Cory Snyder, and Phil Neikro one season and even before that Andre Thorton swung for the Indians in 82 I think.

Similar to Chicago in basketball, Denver was te Brown's slayer of championship hopes in football. The Drive and the fumble.

I am just happy my parents and rest of family had the influence not allow me to become a Buckeye fan.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Posts

• They’ve both gotten worse. I’ve seen enough games to know that. 
    • The only two transfers that Bearden has gotten that went on to play college football were a defensive back from Karnes, who transferred here way before the new coaching staff got here, and a running back from Carter, who went on to play at Maryville College. Both players received those offers while at Bearden, and both players got a diploma from Bearden High School. Therefore, they are Bearden kids, and you can’t do anything about that.   The transfer from Seymour didn’t win the job, what do you expect two quarterbacks to start at the same time? He played great on JV when he could stay healthy, and when he came in on varsity, he did great. The quarterback position is definitely going to be in good hands when the current starting quarterback leaves, but until then, they’re just going to be battling it out like every good quarterback competition does. The current starting quarterback has his flaws, and that is in the pass game, but what he doesn’t have flaws is running and scrambling, and if you go back and watch any game, which I’m sure you didn’t watch any, we used him very often, and when we needed a deep ball, we brought in the transfer from Seymour. The starting quarterback last year will be a senior this year, and the Seymour transfer will be a junior, so the Seymour transfer is definitely going to get his spotlight. He may even win the job this year. Football isn’t about who the newspaper thinks is the best kid. The best kid in the position will win the starting job, and I trust the coaching staff more than a newspaper or article to pick my starting QB.
    • I mean, we’ve only gotten two transfers that went on to play college football, one who went to UT Martin came his second semester junior year before the new coaching staff was here, and the other one went on to play at Maryville College, in which I don’t believe he had any interest prior to transferring.
    • An FYI: To see how an opponent has done against another opponent since 2001- go to the game by clicking on one of the teams. Click the G beside the game. For example, Milan: The info will show you the previous matchups and other info.
    • All these college signees went yo other schools for 3 years, were getting college offers then transferred to Bearden. It’s not like this staff did much to develop them.    The BBall coaches son and the Seymour transfer were some of the most talented QBs in the region, and you guys developed them into QBs who might complete one pass a game.