9AA

flip

My Blue Devils are feeling pretty blue right now after losing 4 straight. Didn't see this coming but it is what it is. Everyone should be licking their chops to play them now. All you need, is to get a lead and you'll win. We have no offense, other than the couple of sophomores that produce fairly consistently. I don't see it getting turned around so thats it. Beginning to wonder if Coach Spencer will be back next year. A lot of grumblings going on.

I don't think it's a question of whether we have any offense or not. We have plenty of quality players that can score. The problem is that they don't. What many people see is a team that appears to be so afraid to make a mistake, they wait around looking to make the perfect play instead of making the play that's available. There are many occasions during each game when our big men are open for a high percentage shot. You can see the perimeter players look them dead in the eyes and not give them the ball. When they finally decide to, the passing lane is already jammed and the ball doesn't get there. We leave anywhere from 15-30 points in missed layups out there on the floor every game, shots missed by post and perimeter players alike. We don't have the number of consistent shooters that we had the last two years. When we get down, we get sloppy trying to force things and turn the ball over at critical points in the game. When we get a lead, the opponent turns it up a notch to fight back, we get sloppy and turn the ball over - along with our momentum. Most of our losses this year have occurred not because a team beat us, but because we've allowed one or two players to beat us. We seem to always leave a 3-point shooter open somewhere, and he seems to always get the ball. We miss layups, they make 3's. That's how we lose.

What I've noticed is that almost every time we lose, it's because our opponent is quicker athletically, and/or more decisive with their ball movement. Most other times it's because we appear to be uncomfortable with whatever the scheme is for that night. I think we've proven over the last couple of years that a quicker opponent doesn't necessarily equate to a loss, but when the guys are tentative they make mistakes. I think we're always tentative to one degree or another. Why, I don't know - but I have my theories.

Four consecutive losses - 2 should have been easy wins, 1 should have been a tough win, 1 could have been a tough win - was unexpected, but it hasn't shown me that we aren't capable of beating the best teams in the district. We have plenty of talent to match up with them all. The problem is we don't seem to be as well-organized or decisive on the floor as they are, which leaves us unable to match intensity levels and focus when we need to. A lot of it goes back to their apparent fear of making a mistake. Take that however you want. I've seen the same thing for years and that's my opinion.

Full disclosure, I'm not a basketball guy. I don't necessarily understand or notice all the intricacies or subtleties of the game, but I can tell when what they're trying to do isn't working. What they're doing right now doesn't appear to be working.

Edited by BDPHusker

I don't think it's a question of whether we have any offense or not. We have plenty of quality players that can score. The problem is that they don't. What many people see is a team that appears to be so afraid to make a mistake, they wait around looking to make the perfect play instead of making the play that's available. There are many occasions during each game when our big men are open for a high percentage shot. You can see the perimeter players look them dead in the eyes and not give them the ball. When they finally decide to, the passing lane is already jammed and the ball doesn't get there. We leave anywhere from 15-30 points in missed layups out there on the floor every game, shots missed by post and perimeter players alike. We don't have the number of consistent shooters that we had the last two years. When we get down, we get sloppy trying to force things and turn the ball over at critical points in the game. When we get a lead, the opponent turns it up a notch to fight back, we get sloppy and turn the ball over - along with our momentum. Most of our losses this year have occurred not because a team beat us, but because we've allowed one or two players to beat us. We seem to always leave a 3-point shooter open somewhere, and he seems to always get the ball. We miss layups, they make 3's. That's how we lose.

What I've noticed is that almost every time we lose, it's because our opponent is quicker athletically, and/or more decisive with their ball movement. Most other times it's because we appear to be uncomfortable with whatever the scheme is for that night. I think we've proven over the last couple of years that a quicker opponent doesn't necessarily equate to a loss, but when the guys are tentative they make mistakes. I think we're always tentative to one degree or another. Why, I don't know - but I have my theories.

Four consecutive losses - 2 should have been easy wins, 1 should have been a tough win, 1 could have been a tough win - was unexpected, but it hasn't shown me that we aren't capable of beating the best teams in the district. We have plenty of talent to match up with them all. The problem is we don't seem to be as well-organized or decisive on the floor as they are, which leaves us unable to match intensity levels and focus when we need to. A lot of it goes back to their apparent fear of making a mistake. Take that however you want. I've seen the same thing for years and that's my opinion.

Full disclosure, I'm not a basketball guy. I don't necessarily understand or notice all the intricacies or subtleties of the game, but I can tell when what they're trying to do isn't working. What they're doing right now doesn't appear to be working.

You've hit the problems on the head! we need to see that pass into the post BEFORE its there and already know that were going to make that pass. You can't look and telegraph it. Hesitation to see that pass or be ready for that shot is a killer. Our team definitely passes the look test, loaded with seniors, good supporting underclassmen, and I believe a guy that knows how to coach. I would love to see our seniors take over the game and set the tone for the rest to follow. I know they can, they just gotta believe they can! Dorris, Layman, and Crouch, should all be averaging double fig/s a game. That's five goals each, 1.25 per quarter. They can and must do it for us to get the tracks back under us. Everybody up there probably knows who I am but oh well. I call it like I see it. May be right, may be wrong. Just my opinions. Go Devils! BDP!

Hate to bring up a coaching change when the season isn't over but I think Spencer needs to go. Does anyone think that former White House player Caleb Cook would be considered for the job? He won the county at Knox Doss Middle School at Drakes Creek in year two of the school's existence. He is currently an assistant at Station Camp High School. He is young and a hard worker. I think he'd be great for BDP!

Well, the streak is over. After losing 4 in a row, Westmoreland came to visit on Senior Night. Apparently they thought they were going to punch WH in the mouth and leave with a win. They ran into a bunch of frustrated Devils, and were seen picking themselves up off the floor all night. It was a rough, physical game, but our guys stood toe-to-toe with them. There were bodies flying all over the place all night. Three technical fouls, and a meeting at half court with all three refs and every player on the floor at the time. It was great to see the Devils step up, play hard, and fight back. They really showed physical and mental toughness for the first time in a while. Still left a lot of points on the floor, and gave up some easy scores, though. Gotta clean that up.

Hopefully we can build on this win by carrying the same mentality into the remaining district games. None will be easy (well, one of them should be, but that's why they play the game), but, regardless of what anybody says, there's no reason we can't get on a run and win 'em all. Just gotta want to win them, put in the work, then do the right things on the floor. The talent is clearly there.

Well, the streak is over. After losing 4 in a row, Westmoreland came to visit on Senior Night. Apparently they thought they were going to punch WH in the mouth and leave with a win. They ran into a bunch of frustrated Devils, and were seen picking themselves up off the floor all night. It was a rough, physical game, but our guys stood toe-to-toe with them. There were bodies flying all over the place all night. Three technical fouls, and a meeting at half court with all three refs and every player on the floor at the time. It was great to see the Devils step up, play hard, and fight back. They really showed physical and mental toughness for the first time in a while. Still left a lot of points on the floor, and gave up some easy scores, though. Gotta clean that up.

Hopefully we can build on this win by carrying the same mentality into the remaining district games. None will be easy (well, one of them should be, but that's why they play the game), but, regardless of what anybody says, there's no reason we can't get on a run and win 'em all. Just gotta want to win them, put in the work, then do the right things on the floor. The talent is clearly there.

Glad to see this and even though you say you don't know basketball, I disagree. On several points you've got it nailed...in my opinion, and y'all have a good team. Heck, I think we even had to have a 'conference' on the floor when Westmoreland came to town. But, they HAVE to play physical. And I don't blame opposing players for lettin' 'em know they don't appreciate that syle of play. If you want to play football holla at us in the Fall, right?

Even though I can't bring myself to say, 'BDP,' I do wish y'all good luck the rest of the way...'cept this Friday.

Best wishes for quick and complete recoveries for C. Lynn and Rhoten after their injuries last night. Always upsetting to me to see kids hurting. Goodpasture fought back and nearly snatched victory away from my Blue Devils even without those two fine players. Kudos to them and especially to #4 (don't remember his name). He showed great sportsmanship after the game.

Glad to see this and even though you say you don't know basketball, I disagree. On several points you've got it nailed...in my opinion, and y'all have a good team. Heck, I think we even had to have a 'conference' on the floor when Westmoreland came to town. But, they HAVE to play physical. And I don't blame opposing players for lettin' 'em know they don't appreciate that syle of play. If you want to play football holla at us in the Fall, right?

Even though I can't bring myself to say, 'BDP,' I do wish y'all good luck the rest of the way...'cept this Friday.

Thanks for the compliment. Should be a good game this Friday.

Best wishes for quick and complete recoveries for C. Lynn and Rhoten after their injuries last night. Always upsetting to me to see kids hurting. Goodpasture fought back and nearly snatched victory away from my Blue Devils even without those two fine players. Kudos to them and especially to #4 (don't remember his name). He showed great sportsmanship after the game.

I think you're partly right. Late in the game, the Cougars played harder as a team than they had all night up to that point (IMO). They certainly didn't give up. But, having said that, after making wholesale substitutions, the Devils frittered away almost an entire 19-pt lead in about 4-5 minutes. During that stretch, our guards committed several really bad turnovers that they really hadn't committed up to then, and the subs didn't play very well on defense at all. When the lead got down to around 6 points, Coach Spencer had to put all the starters back in. By that time, though, they were all cooled down and had to pick it up again. If he had waited any longer, I fear the outcome could have been different. It was good to get the subs in, because they certainly need the minutes, but you can't sub the whole team with that much time left. We had the game well in hand - or so it seemed - but we should have been rotating the subs, not playing them all at once.

Congrats to the Devils on the nice win, but this should have been a statement game of sorts. WH hasn't had an opportunity for a blowout win in a long time. A 20+ point win would've looked nice on the resume. (And I agree with you about Goodpasture's injured players. Didn't know anybody else got hurt, but Rhoten looked like he messed up that ankle pretty badly. He kinda just crumpled to the floor.)

So, now we have Greenbrier on Friday. When we played them at GB, we laid back and took our time instead of playing our game. We allowed GB to stick around and they made us pay for it, handing us the first of four straight losses. We need to go at them hard, get on them fast, and not let them breathe. Make it clear that their win was a fluke. We seem to utilize our inside game only in spurts, but it's pretty obvious that we can run it against any of the district teams. Move the ball around and make the pass when it's there - instead of looking somewhere else real quick first - and we can score all night. But, that's why they play the games, right?

Edited by BDPHusker