SPRINGFIELD FOOTBALL 2011 (100 YEARS)

LEON

Thanx for clearing that up Leon; I believe Greg Bell played w/ either Danny or David Carroll and judging from your post, I am assuming it was Danny.....

Coach Greg Bell played with David ,and a point of history in 1968 Greg Bell, Melvin Boyd and Ed Baily were the first African-American players to play at Springfield.They were outstanding players for Coach Smith , and of course Greg Bell was an outstanding coach for the Jackets.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boyce Smith was a true legend. During his long tenure at Springfield, it was considered quite a feat for Gallatin to beat the Yellow Jackets. There is still a piece of asphalt in Gallatin's trophy case with the score of a Springfield/Gallatin game on it which got thrown through one of the players buses after a Gallatin win way back when.

Boyce Smith was a true legend. During his long tenure at Springfield, it was considered quite a feat for Gallatin to beat the Yellow Jackets. There is still a piece of asphalt in Gallatin's trophy case with the score of a Springfield/Gallatin game on it which got thrown through one of the players buses after a Gallatin win way back when.

I am glad the Jackets and Wave are playing again , I love watching a game at the "Wave Yard" , a tough place to play , but a great atmosphere with lots of tradition.

Coach Greg Bell played with David ,and a point of history in 1968 Greg Bell, Melvin Boyd and Ed Baily were the first African-American players to play at Springfield.They were outstanding players for Coach Smith , and of course Greg Bell was an outstanding coach for the Jackets.

Ok, when you didnt mention Greg Bell w/ the other notables I was thinking he came a few years later. I am guessing in 1968, Bransford and Springfields football teams merged which is why Coach Bell did not play in the above mentioned Clarksville game. It makes sense now.....

Edited by Kevin38

My old hs coach played for Clarksville hs. I called him and asked him about "that game". He said there was controversey about that game. Said everything you did cept he said their was a pic in the paper showing a referee going td and the ball laying on the gorund and not in the endzone. Is that true or was he just pulling my leg. I read him names from the Springfield team that was listed and he remembered all of them. He said CHS won the conference title because they went 9-0-1 in the regular season and lost to Cookville in some bowl game. How about it Leon, is this right?

My old hs coach played for Clarksville hs. I called him and asked him about "that game". He said there was controversey about that game. Said everything you did cept he said their was a pic in the paper showing a referee going td and the ball laying on the gorund and not in the endzone. Is that true or was he just pulling my leg. I read him names from the Springfield team that was listed and he remembered all of them. He said CHS won the conference title because they went 9-0-1 in the regular season and lost to Cookville in some bowl game. How about it Leon, is this right?

I wasn't at that game my details came from an article in the Leaf-Chronicle,sometime in the mid 80's written by Chip Cirrilo. My older brothers were at that game, and told some details,also info came from a series of articles on the history of SHS football under Boyce Smith 1928-1971, compiled by the late Dr. Lloyd Traughber who researched the subject and it was featured in the Robertson Co. Times in the late 80's and early 90's, I have these for reference.He did an outstanding job,every season and even game accounts on just about all of the games.I have an article that says Springfield defeated Gallatin in the season final 27-13 in 1967,their fourth title in the past 8 years. As far as controversy,I don't know,I did meet former CHS coach Miller at a game years later and asked about the game and he never mentioned about controversy , just about his descion to go for the 1st down. Also learned that night that he was from Robertson Co an played football at the old Coopertown High.

I wasn't at that game my details came from an article in the Leaf-Chronicle,sometime in the mid 80's written by Chip Cirrilo. My older brothers were at that game, and told some details,also info came from a series of articles on the history of SHS football under Boyce Smith 1928-1971, compiled by the late Dr. Lloyd Traughber who researched the subject and it was featured in the Robertson Co. Times in the late 80's and early 90's, I have these for reference.He did an outstanding job,every season and even game accounts on just about all of the games.I have an article that says Springfield defeated Gallatin in the season final 27-13 in 1967,their fourth title in the past 8 years. As far as controversy,I don't know,I did meet former CHS coach Miller at a game years later and asked about the game and he never mentioned about controversy , just about his descion to go for the 1st down. Also learned that night that he was from Robertson Co an played football at the old Coopertown High.

Springfield won the title that year and played Smyrna in the Tobacco Bowl. When they played Gallatin it was deadlocked 13-13 in the 4th quarter before Springfield broke it open. Coach Barron for the Green Wave said they were by far the best team they had faced this season.

Springfield football 1911-2011: Undefeated-1935,1937,1939,1941,1942,1943. Undefeated Reg. Season-1992,2006.Little Tenn. Conference Champs-1935,1937,1939. North Central Conference Champs-1960,1962,1964,1967,1975,1976. Mid-State Champs-1935,1937,1939,1942,1943. Tobacco Bowl Champs-1962,1963,1967.Clinc Bowl Champs-1956(tie),1957(tie),1993(AAA State Champs). Mid-State Bowl Champs-1948,1949,1980. Industrial Bowl Champs-1975. Metro Bowl 1969, Volunteer Bowl-1976. Tobacco Bowl-1984. Dist.10AAA Champs-1977,Dist.9AAA Champs-1981,Dist.10AA Champs-1988,1989,1991,1992. State Semi-Finals-1991,1994. State Qtr.-Finals-1989,1992,1997. State Play-Offs-1977,1981,1988,1989,1991,1992,1993,1994,1997,2001,2002,2006,2009,2010.

Springfield won the title that year and played Smyrna in the Tobacco Bowl. When they played Gallatin it was deadlocked 13-13 in the 4th quarter before Springfield broke it open. Coach Barron for the Green Wave said they were by far the best team they had faced this season.

I have a copy of this game 8mm converted to VHS, Gallatin great Eddie Sherlin had a very long interception return ,also has SHS 1967 games vs BGA, Murfreesbro Central and Tobacco Bowl is shot in color. Hey 'GWAVE1' who were the teams in the old NCC ? My old articles and memory have: Springfield,Gallatin,Murfreesbro Central,Clarksville,Lebanon,Portland and BGA. I believe later Gallatin and others left and formed the Middle Tenn. Conference. Springfield stayed in the NCC until its last year 1976, in 1977 TSSAA formed the district format for play-off qualification. If anyone has any info on these two confernces, on when they began or team info please post.

I have a copy of this game 8mm converted to VHS, Gallatin great Eddie Sherlin had a very long interception return ,also has SHS 1967 games vs BGA, Murfreesbro Central and Tobacco Bowl is shot in color. Hey 'GWAVE1' who were the teams in the old NCC ? My old articles and memory have: Springfield,Gallatin,Murfreesbro Central,Clarksville,Lebanon,Portland and BGA. I believe later Gallatin and others left and formed the Middle Tenn. Conference. Springfield stayed in the NCC until its last year 1976, in 1977 TSSAA formed the district format for play-off qualification. If anyone has any info on these two confernces, on when they began or team info please post.

I played at BGA 1974-75-76. The only NCC teams I remember then were Murfreesboro Oakland , Springfield , BGA , Clarksville , and Clarksville Northwest.That was a tough , hard-hitting league!

I played at BGA 1974-75-76. The only NCC teams I remember then were Murfreesboro Oakland , Springfield , BGA , Clarksville , and Clarksville Northwest.That was a tough , hard-hitting league!

Thanks , I believe when Murfreesbro Central closed to form Oakland and Riverdale , Oakland was a Springfield opponet until 1976 , Riverdale I assume was part of another conference , maybe M.T.C. ? Clarksville Northwest was formed in 1971 to relieve overcrowding at Clarksville High. This took some away from the Springfield-Clarksville rivalry , as their cross-town foe became a big game. BGA was a very strong team during this time.My first time to watch an away game for the Jackets was at BGA in 1970 , at the old campus on Columbia Ave. , I remember a building directly behind one of the goal post , that often was hit by kicked point after attempts.

Gallatin joined the NCC in 54'and they left to join the "Big Middle Tenn Conference" in 73'. Not sure about BGA, unless they left after only a few years. Was Lafayette in the NCC for awhile?

Eddie Sherlin was quite a player for Gallatin!