Does your school play its best players both ways?

Bottom line is,more kids play,more parents in the stands.Its not a win thing at Volunteer,its a money thing!

I would think the opposite as in my opinion winning would put more butts in the stands. Every other team plays their best athletes both ways, at Volunteer we have a couple of kids on defense that should never play even one play. The seniors who have put in so much effort, and time, and they want to play both ways should get the chance. Let the kids leave it all on the field.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My .02 $ worth!

If I was a high school coach in a perfect world, (plenty of depth) I would want two complete line units, line backers, premier running back and quarter back that play one way. My receivers/db's would be one in the same and I would hope to have enough of them to rotate frequently. I would use my o-line some to spell my d-line in long drive and short yardage situations. On special teams, speed would be the determining factor on who plays but wouldn't risk my qb or top rb. If I was lucky enough to have a good kicker and punter I wouldn't take risks of injuring them.

tpoole12

PS: I think most coaches would prefer this but lack of depth or talent could dictate other actions.

I would think the opposite as in my opinion winning would put more butts in the stands. Every other team plays their best athletes both ways, at Volunteer we have a couple of kids on defense that should never play even one play. The seniors who have put in so much effort, and time, and they want to play both ways should get the chance. Let the kids leave it all on the field.

playing both ways is not too much to ask of any well conditioned athlete........as long as they are not also playing on every single special team......if you have at least a half-way decent coach you can get solid special teams play out of reserves. The best way i see this work is when you play both ways, but maybe only 50-75% of the snaps on one side of the ball. We had a starting running back who played nearly every down in the backfield, he was also a spectacular db but he only came in for nickel and dime situations on obvious passing situations. He was the best db, but better for team to be rested to run the ball. Also have an awesome safety who plays every down on defense, best hands as a receiver but helps team better as a hitter on defense. He plays in the slot and is in on maybe half of the offensive plays. Good coaches find a balance based on the athlete and best fit for the program.

I know Maryville tries not to play linemen both ways. Usually linebackers play 1 way but Jacob West has played LB and RB in 2009 and 2010. Quarterback will play quarterback only. The guys at Maryville who primarily play both sides has been the WR/DB types. Last year Stian Romberg was the only WR/DB who played both ways. This year Jay Youkum and Dalton Curtis may have to.

I believe 2 platooning helps. I know that Maryville wouldn't have never beat Hillsboro in 2002 had Hillsboro never got tired from playing so many kids both way. Of course it helps that Maryville dresses 95 kids. A lot of schools don't dress that many.

Edited by REBELRON

Under Coach Counce, Henry County runs a 2 platoon system. One starting unit on offense and another on defense. But we also have the horses to do so (over 100 players). But there are some exceptions. For instance, our best safety is also the backup quarterback, and our other safety is a backup running back. Our starting running back is a backup linebacker, etc. The way coaches run things can change any year. Every situation is different, and the good coaches will try their best to make personnel decisions that are compatable with said situations and their players' talents and abilities.

When coach Gaddis was here, there were numerous players who played both ways, but he also left his own stamp. He would platoon much of the time, but if we were in a tight game or deep in the playoffs, he would play our best players both ways. In one playoff game, Marsalis Teague played QB, CB, and even kick returner, when during the vast majority of the season, he played QB almost exclusively. I don't think there are any two coaches who do things the exact same way.

Edited by RedSwarm10