Defending State Champions Signal Mountain Eagels vs East Hamilton

Waterboy96

Let me ask the SM faithful a question or two--just interested in your views

I think there is universal agreement among any who aren't deaf dumb or blind that SMMHS will be a force to reckon with in 4A this year. How do you folks think SMMHS would do in 5A? Compete for a state tile? 6A? Compete for a state title? D-II? Compete for state title?

I'll take the bait. smiley-char096.gif

Although the team and coaches are focusing on one game at a time, I guess it's okay for us fans to engage in this type of speculation. I believe our team is good enough this year to compete with any team in the state. Would we prevail against the elite teams in AA, AAA, and DII? Idk, but I believe we would have a fighting chance. I am confident that the offense can put points on the board against even the best defenses in the state. Can our defense stop some of the best offenses? I doubt it, but we will continue to improve defensively. I'm not sure that "Defense Wins Championships" applies 100% of the time, but it is certainly difficult to win a championship without a strong defense.

Remember Signal is very senior heavy this year, so the next couple of years could be a challenge. The truly great programs seem to find a way to reload and rebuild. I believe the next three years will define our program as much or more than these first three years. We have a really good group of young guys coming up through the program and a good coaching staff, so I am optomistic, but only time will tell.

To stay on topic, I believe Signal will beat East Hamilton by 4 TD's. I'll also go on record as saying 15-0 is not out of the realm of possibilities this year. It won't be easy, but it is not impossible. That's why we play the game, right?:thumb:

Where are all of the East Hamilton fans. Beast27 don't you or any other EH fans have anything to say. Your team won Saturday night and we got beat Friday. Did you see these games, if so what's your thoughts about Friday? From where I was standing Saturday night it looked like EH had good size and some speed.

I saw both teams play, Friday night will be a good game. I think Signal will see a different team than they saw the past 2 years. It will be a close game, and I think defense will be big part. Canes also beat Heritage in a full game scrimmage on Friday nite. We got to see a lot of depth playing. Canes can throw and run the ball, speed and size this year on both sides of the ball. We will see ......it oughta be fun!!!

I saw both teams play, Friday night will be a good game. I think Signal will see a different team than they saw the past 2 years. It will be a close game, and I think defense will be big part. Canes also beat Heritage in a full game scrimmage on Friday nite. We got to see a lot of depth playing. Canes can throw and run the ball, speed and size this year on both sides of the ball. We will see ......it oughta be fun!!!

Signal and Bradley Central are going to be tough non-district games for the Canes this year. I believe y'all, Red Bank, Chatt Central, and Tyner are about equally matched this year, and district 6AA should be exciting. I wish you guys the best of fortunes. Starting Week 1 of course.:thumb:

Edited by MountainTroll

Let me ask the SM faithful a question or two--just interested in your views

I think there is universal agreement among any who aren't deaf dumb or blind that SMMHS will be a force to reckon with in 4A this year. How do you folks think SMMHS would do in 5A? Compete for a state tile? 6A? Compete for a state title? D-II? Compete for state title?

I answered your question and now have one for you. How do you think SM would do against the other classifications?

Beast27 I will say from what I saw on Saturday the Canes do seem to be improved from the past two years. I will also say from what I saw from the other teams in the district the Canes will be in the mix this year. Of course this is basing things on the jamboree which is dangerous but no team in your district really stood out.

Here is my take on your district after the jamboree weekend.

Howard- Way Down

Brainerd- Down

Red Bank- Down a little

Tyner- Down a little

East Ridge- Neutral

Central- Improved

East Hamilton- Improved

I don't think Howard or Brainerd are going to be contenders this year. Central might make a run if they can find some offense. Red Bank and Tyner will improve as the season goes on and probably be there at playoff time. So with all this said the door is wide open for EH to make the playoffs this year.

Beast27 I will say from what I saw on Saturday the Canes do seem to be improved from the past two years. I will also say from what I saw from the other teams in the district the Canes will be in the mix this year. Of course this is basing things on the jamboree which is dangerous but no team in your district really stood out.

Here is my take on your district after the jamboree weekend.

Howard- Way Down

Brainerd- Down

Red Bank- Down a little

Tyner- Down a little

East Ridge- Neutral

Central- Improved

East Hamilton- Improved

I don't think Howard or Brainerd are going to be contenders this year. Central might make a run if they can find some offense. Red Bank and Tyner will improve as the season goes on and probably be there at playoff time. So with all this said the door is wide open for EH to make the playoffs this year.

Did East Hamilton improve or was Rhea County down? Rhea County did not look good in the trenches and seemed to lack fire and intensity. I am an East Hamilton fan but feel this team is not as strong as last years. I think by the end of the season they can be but there is just not enough varsity game experience among this group. We have a lot of potential with the addition of this sophomore class but they will have to learn quickly. Luckily for us it looks like are entire district is down this year and that will really help. I am still looking to see who will step up and take the leadership role with this group. A couple had a good play or two Friday night but it is not one play that defines a leader but how they play the entire game and taking no plays off. I think your team has also lost alot of leadership with graduation but I have also seen several of your guys step up already. I think we should be more concerned with this years QB more than Hogan. Hogan was a passing threat but your new guy is a double threat and I think he will put up some impressive numbers before this year is done. This Friday nights game should be very interesting and I am hoping that our Canes will make it worth our trip up the mountain. I know they have been working hard and now they must learn how to become a cohesive group and take that next step.

And unlike BEASTYBOY, our Heritage scrimmage concerned me a little. We have depth but not experience.

Baylor North-Waldens Ridge will be TOUGH again this season. I watched you vs Bradley Central last weekend. That McClendon kid is a beast. Baylor North has only one team in their way of a possible state championship in 4A and that is the Green Devils. You will beat East Hamilton by at least a couple of scores and will beat South Pitt by about 14-21 this season as well.

Did East Hamilton improve or was Rhea County down? Rhea County did not look good in the trenches and seemed to lack fire and intensity. I am an East Hamilton fan but feel this team is not as strong as last years. I think by the end of the season they can be but there is just not enough varsity game experience among this group. We have a lot of potential with the addition of this sophomore class but they will have to learn quickly. Luckily for us it looks like are entire district is down this year and that will really help. I am still looking to see who will step up and take the leadership role with this group. A couple had a good play or two Friday night but it is not one play that defines a leader but how they play the entire game and taking no plays off. I think your team has also lost alot of leadership with graduation but I have also seen several of your guys step up already. I think we should be more concerned with this years QB more than Hogan. Hogan was a passing threat but your new guy is a double threat and I think he will put up some impressive numbers before this year is done. This Friday nights game should be very interesting and I am hoping that our Canes will make it worth our trip up the mountain. I know they have been working hard and now they must learn how to become a cohesive group and take that next step.

And unlike BEASTYBOY, our Heritage scrimmage concerned me a little. We have depth but not experience.

I'm not sure what to say about Rhea County. They had some coaching issues so this new coach hasn't had much time with them. I will say they get my award for ugliest uniforms for the YEAR because no one is going to beat those ugly things. :roflol:

I'm not sure what to say about Rhea County. They had some coaching issues so this new coach hasn't had much time with them. I will say they get my award for ugliest uniforms for the YEAR because no one is going to beat those ugly things. :roflol:

With the exception of the Oregon Ducks, I think we found someting that the Canes and Eagles can agree on.

East Hamilton has 28 juniors that have played varsity for two years now. Last years team won two games Branierd/Hixson. I can not see how in anyway last years team is stronger than current team. They will finally have a home field and some talent to take advantage of teams. If offense can get out of the 1980s they will give everyteam problems.

East Hamilton has 28 juniors that have played varsity for two years now. Last years team won two games Branierd/Hixson. I can not see how in anyway last years team is stronger than current team. They will finally have a home field and some talent to take advantage of teams. If offense can get out of the 1980s they will give everyteam problems.

The number 28 is NOT accurate when you look at experience. Yes they have participated on the varsity team for two years. Most have not started a game since eighth grade or had more than maybe five minutes of actual varsity play time. JV football games are not important to this staff for some reason and therefor we will have a starting offensive line that has only ONE player with any varsity game experience at all. That is just an example. We will be relying on a sophomore group to lead the way in many of the skilled positions. Again, I do not see this years team being better than last years. However, with all that said, our next two years after this year should be very strong, experienced and deep in talent.

East Hamilton has looked exponentially better in scrimmages this year than the past two years. Experience is overrated. Last years team had a lot of seniors, but even they only had one year of varsity experience before last year, and last years team went 2-8?! I feel that this years team will win a lot more than 2 games. With that said, I do think the sophomores will benefit greatly from this year and need to grow up a lot. But they already have tremendous talent, size, and speed. They just need to learn how to practice and get accustomed to the physicality of varsity football. But I agree with TigerTom, this years team is much better than last years and they are only getting better.