AAU k-5 dual tournamnet first weekend in january?

ghostsingle

No,its a policy issue. There are many factors that come into play but the end affect is that Tn middle schools that are in the tmssaa are getting way behind other states and even teams in our state that dont have the restrictions that tmssaa puts on their members. I cant speak for the entire state but I can give you an overview of what happens in the Chattanooga area with the schools that are members of the Tmssaa. Once their season officially starts they cannot wrestle outside of their league. (or at least thats the way its enforced in Chattanooga). This doesnt really make sense to me because even Tssaa high school teams can travel and wrestle teams in georgia and other states. So why cant middle school teams? The kids can also not enter individual tournaments. So in a nutshell, Chattanooga area middle school teams that are members of the Tmssaa wrestle about 1/3 of what middle school kids wrestle through Aau or Usa. They have a pre-season tournament and an end of the season tournament and thats it. Their season is about 6 weeks long. A lot of schools pulled out due to these restrictions such as Baylor, McCallie, Cleveland, Bradley. Even though the Cleveland area disbanded their conference that was a member of the tmssaa they still got punished for wrestling in individual tournaments. This was really confusing since the tmssaa didnt provide a conference, a conference tournament , a region or state tournament. I think the tmssaa standing on this was that their schools were still members of the tmssaa so the wrestling teams have to follow their guidelines? Some of your more serious schools like Cleveland and Soddy get great participation from their kids after and before the tmssaa season starts and finishes so their kids are able to get the needed matches against quality opponents to remain successul but a lot of the other schools are getting very far behind. The Aau has a great program in place for middle school aged kids. There is literally a tournament every weekend, a regional tournament and a state tournament. There is also a point standing that is kept up with through out year to recognize the top point earner at the end of the year. There are post season state teams put together at the completion of the regular season that go and compete in the middle school national duals in Iowa that tmssa kids dont get a chance to wrestle for. There is a direct correlation with the most sucesful high school s and their kids club and middle school programs. The ones who arent able to compete at the same level as their counterparts are getting left behind. the simple solution would be to lift the restrictions and allow wrestlers to compete in any tournament they want to. They could still keep their tmssaa conferences and alignemnts if they want to but allow kids the opportunity to wrestle outside their respective conference.

Sounds more like you are describing the Chattanooga Hamilton County league only goes 6 weeks and wrestles inside itself. I know that Cleveland begins when HS starts and runs thru Mid Jan. The issue is that several different regions and areas within regions have different seasons and rules.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds more like you are describing the Chattanooga Hamilton County league only goes 6 weeks and wrestles inside itself. I know that Cleveland begins when HS starts and runs thru Mid Jan. The issue is that several different regions and areas within regions have different seasons and rules.

Yes, I was refering mainly about the Hamilton County leaugue but I brought up Cleveland and others in our area that also were sanctioned and punished by the tmssaa for allwoing kids to wrestle outside the tmssaa during season. Cleveland actually wrestles until the middle of April with most of their kids. They simply joing the club team after their season is over and continue to compete. We have had quite a few Cleveland kids on the state team the last few years as well. Im not sure how the other areas do it but its been explained to the Hamilton County coaches that they cannot wrestle outside of their league during their season. How are the leagues that are members of the tmssaa in middle Tennessee ran? Are you allowed to wrestle non tmssaa schools and open tournaments?

Edited by YOUTHCOACH16

Yes, I was refering mainly about the Hamilton County leaugue but I brought up Cleveland and others in our area that also were sanctioned and punished by the tmssaa for allwoing kids to wrestle outside the tmssaa during season. Cleveland actually wrestles until the middle of April with most of their kids. They simply joing the club team after their season is over and continue to compete. We have had quite a few Cleveland kids on the state team the last few years as well. Im not sure how the other areas do it but its been explained to the Hamilton County coaches that they cannot wrestle outside of their league during their season. How are the leagues that are members of the tmssaa in middle Tennessee ran? Are you allowed to wrestle non tmssaa schools and open tournaments?

i just got off the phone with TSSAA= AAU and school teams cant mix, as far as a middle school dual tournament it will not be a problem, as long as the teams and wrestlers are an official school team (not aau club team) and its during the schools official season everyone can compete even if its not a TMSAA school, we can have teams from all over the state and even out of state. must be an official school team !lets do it we need 8 middle school teams !

i just got off the phone with TSSAA= AAU and school teams cant mix, as far as a middle school dual tournament it will not be a problem, as long as the teams and wrestlers are an official school team (not aau club team) and its during the schools official season everyone can compete even if its not a TMSAA school, we can have teams from all over the state and even out of state. must be an official school team !lets do it we need 8 middle school teams !

This makes absolutely no sense to me. TMSSAA can wrestle other school teams that are and are not TMSSAA teams as long as they are not AAU? I would venture to say many of the official middle school teams use AAU insurance for coverage. Where would these teams fall in?

This makes absolutely no sense to me. TMSSAA can wrestle other school teams that are and are not TMSSAA teams as long as they are not AAU? I would venture to say many of the official middle school teams use AAU insurance for coverage. Where would these teams fall in?

Yes, very confusing. I dont think ghost explained to the tssaa clearly or they didnt understand. The largest number of middle school teams in Tn are now Aau teams. There are only a few areas that participate through the tmssaa due to their restrictions. These are school teams, they just dont affiliate with the tmssaa. Just because they are an Aau club doesnt mean they have kids from all over. Most still wrestle as their school. You do have a few that are more club oriented and not entirley comprised of wrestlers from one school. I would call the Tmssaa back and ask them the following questions verbatim. I personally know of at least 5 kids that have been suspended for matches due to not following their guidelines.

1) Can tmssaa schools compete against other schools that arent in the tmssaa? If they can as you stated in your previous message then why cant they compete against aau middle school teams? They are just sanctioning through Aau for insurance purposes and so their kids can wrestle in all the tournaments. But they are still representing their school.

2) Can tmssaa wrestlers compete in individual tournaments not sanctioned by the tmssaa during the school season ? If they say no, ask them if they are aware that the majority of schools arent wrestling through the tmssaa for this very reason. Ask them why the tmssaa doesnt provide regional and state tournaments for these wrestlers wanting to compete but yet punish them when they try to better themselves and keep up with the other 70% of the state.

Ghost, I think its a mot point unless your middle school is a member of the tmssaa. Most of the school sthat will come will not be tmssaa schools. If you do have some tmssaa schools wanting to come you just hold your tournament prior to their first official match of the year and you are fine. the tmssaa doesnt start here in Chattanooga until the last week of January.

If your middle school team is recoginzed by the school board in your county and the county school board will be liable for the complete team and coaching staff you are a school team!

that clears it up for me.

Clear as mud and exactly why I am glad not to have to fool with any of that.

yep, clear as mud. Im with you on that one.

[/quote

what part is un clear?

is it the rules or why the rules are that way?

school teams are recognized by the school board,

i am trying to clear it up so we can have some serious middle school level tournaments with the top teams in the state, lets hammer this out!!

Yes, very confusing. I dont think ghost explained to the tssaa clearly or they didnt understand. The largest number of middle school teams in Tn are now Aau teams. There are only a few areas that participate through the tmssaa due to their restrictions. These are school teams, they just dont affiliate with the tmssaa. Just because they are an Aau club doesnt mean they have kids from all over. Most still wrestle as their school. You do have a few that are more club oriented and not entirley comprised of wrestlers from one school. I would call the Tmssaa back and ask them the following questions verbatim. I personally know of at least 5 kids that have been suspended for matches due to not following their guidelines.

1) Can tmssaa schools compete against other schools that arent in the tmssaa? If they can as you stated in your previous message then why cant they compete against aau middle school teams? They are just sanctioning through Aau for insurance purposes and so their kids can wrestle in all the tournaments. But they are still representing their school.

2) Can tmssaa wrestlers compete in individual tournaments not sanctioned by the tmssaa during the school season ? If they say no, ask them if they are aware that the majority of schools arent wrestling through the tmssaa for this very reason. Ask them why the tmssaa doesnt provide regional and state tournaments for these wrestlers wanting to compete but yet punish them when they try to better themselves and keep up with the other 70% of the state.

Ghost, I think its a mot point unless your middle school is a member of the tmssaa. Most of the school sthat will come will not be tmssaa schools. If you do have some tmssaa schools wanting to come you just hold your tournament prior to their first official match of the year and you are fine. the tmssaa doesnt start here in Chattanooga until the last week of January.

I found out this weekend that some schools utilize the aau membership to train and condition early and then have meets under the tmsaa like a conference of 13 schools in east tn that do not compete until the month of march.