Warren county football

pioneersfan

Well said but big time players don't really get a chance here. 1 goes in for 1 play he's pulled out and another put in. It seems as though those that prove they can do something have to keep proving it while they continue to "look" for something better. IMO we do entirely too much of that in a game. The boys never get a feeling for where they are---as soon as they get in the groove of what the other team is up to they are pulled out not so we can try something new. No so we can try the same thing with a different person. Trying to beat the man ended up getting a major portion of our boys hurt so that we were on the bottom before we ever got started this year. Our players need support from the community--it isn't their fault that the system is flawed but every year they pay the price.

1. Who's the big time player not getting a chance this year? WC don't appear to have a "big time" player.

2. Whyaswhy is complaining because there's a 1A and a 2A on the schedule and you're complaining because WC scrimmaged "the man" and got beat up. Who are they supposed to play/scrimmage?

1. Who's the big time player not getting a chance this year? WC don't appear to have a "big time" player.

2. Whyaswhy is complaining because there's a 1A and a 2A on the schedule and you're complaining because WC scrimmaged "the man" and got beat up. Who are they supposed to play/scrimmage?

I think you missed the point. We may not have any big time players but you gotta pick something and stick with it long enough to get the ball down the field. Everybody keeps talking about building--you can't start building and everytime something looks a little better or messes up a little tear it apart and start over--esp at game time. And you can't be for real if you think it was a good move to scrimmage a team completely outa our league---I think the end result answers that question.

I think you missed the point. We may not have any big time players but you gotta pick something and stick with it long enough to get the ball down the field. Everybody keeps talking about building--you can't start building and everytime something looks a little better or messes up a little tear it apart and start over--esp at game time. And you can't be for real if you think it was a good move to scrimmage a team completely outa our league---I think the end result answers that question.

"Well said but big time players don't really get a chance here. 1 goes in for 1 play he's pulled out and another put in."

Maybe I did miss your point. What I saw Friday night was the offense moving the ball decently only to be stopped by a bad pass, a dropped pass or a penalty. They played well defensively on several plays only to give up a big one. The boys appeared to be in the right place but for whatever reason didn't finish the job.

As for playing a team out of our league, I do think it's a good move. As we've seen the last few times WC backed in to the playoffs, the busses have stopped at Riverdale, Oakland and maybe Blackman (not exactly sure). I believe it's better to get a taste of what AAAAAA is truly like before the playoffs. (miracles do happen).

Contrary to what YOU want to believe, that was the class of 74 or 1973 season, and that team is the standard by which all oher teams will be measured. The Pioneers went 9-1 during the regular season of 75, and I believe they were also 9-1 during one year in the Jeff Womack era.

That's the problem with Warren County in general not just in athletics, a bunch of old people that want to hang on to the past and not let the young people of today grow and develop. Why do you think over half of our graduating seniors leave town for college and never come back and the only people that move into town are retired. WC is stuck in the past. All the old guys are jealous and it seems they don't want anyone to beat their records, that and too many paople with their own agendas as assistant coaches or school board members intertere with the coaching staff wanting their kid to start. That 74 team was 36 years ago some of the players on todays team didn't even have parents born then. Quit hanging on to the past, you had your time and let the youth of today flourish.

WC doesn't have a "big time" player, but I do think they have some good players. I have no problem with scrimmaging who we scrimmaged, after all that's who we would be playing should we make it to the playoffs. I don't really think we should have had a scrimmage on back to back days after coming out of 3 days of camp in 100 degree heat but I'm not the coach either. The reason we are playing the teams we are playing is for gate $$, these teams travel well and the teams they replaced didn't.

That's the problem with Warren County in general not just in athletics, a bunch of old people that want to hang on to the past and not let the young people of today grow and develop. Why do you think over half of our graduating seniors leave town for college and never come back and the only people that move into town are retired. WC is stuck in the past. All the old guys are jealous and it seems they don't want anyone to beat their records, that and too many paople with their own agendas as assistant coaches or school board members intertere with the coaching staff wanting their kid to start. That 74 team was 36 years ago some of the players on todays team didn't even have parents born then. Quit hanging on to the past, you had your time and let the youth of today flourish.

Aint that the truth!!! It's futile it seems to think it will ever change but we can only hope. I think it is sad that ppl don't want to see our boys do as well, even better than the past. If they hung on to the past with NFL teams the way they do with our highschool team there wouldn't be any need to continue watching. I hate to say it cause it'll get me slammed but who is Jeff??? Don't remember him nor all the past that ppl are hanging on to. Of course I've heard the stories but guess what, stories are all that's left--I doubt any of our current boys have any first hand knowledge of the past. I go to see the 2011 team play, last year I went to see the 2010 team and so on. Same with our team, it's not back to the future here they are playing for the day not yesterday!

OMG!!!!!!!! :shock: You don't know who the greatest running back in high school history is?????? He was coached by the greatest high school coach,BOBBY NEWBY!!!! These are the standards to which all coaches and players are to compare themselves to.

You should bow at the names of these heroes and know that football in WC will never compare to that era. :roflol:

OMG!!!!!!!! :shock: You don't know who the greatest running back in high school history is?????? He was coached by the greatest high school coach,BOBBY NEWBY!!!! These are the standards to which all coaches and players are to compare themselves to.

You should bow at the names of these heroes and know that football in WC will never compare to that era. :roflol:

Whatever!!! sounds like an Elvis story to me. The King is gone but Rock and Roll lives on!!!

Whatever!!! sounds like an Elvis story to me. The King is gone but Rock and Roll lives on!!!

I think the point should be that we are no longer a competitive sports town, at least in the big 3 boys HS programs. That has not always been the case around here, especially in the 70's and early 80's.

The fact is that WC should never lose to DeKalb, no matter the circumstances. All I see in the paper is year in and year out the middle school winning games and championships, however this clearly does not translate into success at the HS level. What happens to these kids after 8th grade? Do the majority quit? Are they playing against teams that are not comparable to the competition they face in HS? Is it coaching? Strength training?

Inferior youth league program?

It seems to be a mystery.

I think the point should be that we are no longer a competitive sports town, at least in the big 3 boys HS programs. That has not always been the case around here, especially in the 70's and early 80's.

The fact is that WC should never lose to DeKalb, no matter the circumstances. All I see in the paper is year in and year out the middle school winning games and championships, however this clearly does not translate into success at the HS level. What happens to these kids after 8th grade? Do the majority quit? Are they playing against teams that are not comparable to the competition they face in HS? Is it coaching? Strength training?

Watch out, McCobb. You are liable to be labeled a "hater" for such comments. LOL

You kind of hit the nail as for the past few years, however now we have a middle school coaching staff and a high school staff that are actually working together to create a program not just two teams, if the youth group would just get on board things would get better quicker, the group that are juniors now were the first group under Coach Cotten at the middle school and he teaches them how to work. This past offseason was really the first year that both middle and high school had a weight program. The pieces are in place for some really great teams in the future, but it is not going to happen overnight, remember the last winning season was 20+ years ago, the program didn't get as bad as it was all of a sudden and it's going to take time to fix it. As I have stated in other posts if the "when i played" guys would encourage instead of discourage it will happen.There are new principals at both the high and middle schools that are not part of the old guard and will support the football programs.I belive Warren County is headed in the right direction.