where does Raquis Hale fit in the list of all time running backs at S.P.

RoyDJ

It all depends on your terminology. A cut block (blocking below the waist) is perfectly legal in the free blocking zone. A chop block is technically when a defensive player is engaged with a blocker and another blocker then hits him low and this is illegal.

no feces...? blink.gif you'll be promoted to whatever is above "youth coach" in no time. roflolk.gif

Edited by snoball5278

Well, since I have not commented on the actual thread title…..I guess I better give my two cents worth too.

It is really hard to rank/rate all the good runningbacks at SP. I have seen a lot of good ones play in orange & black and here is a list of what I consider the best at SP:

Johnny Sisco

Carl Lehr

Rodney Cummings

Patrick Pitts

Kevin Mitchell

Corey Tipton

Eddie Moore

Sam Pickett

Cody Walker

Robert Robinson

David Jones

Montrell Mitchell

Raquis Hale

Of course, Jimmy Wigfall and Bo Haden make this elite group…..I just can’t comment on them because I never saw them play.

Raquis definitely has a place in SP history and I was really excited for him that he had such a great showing in the state game last year.

I garuntee you that Moore boy and that Wigfall man are the best runners that have been at South Pittsburg. I remember watching that Moore boy run. He was a real big boy. Some of these runners have had better blockers than others have. That Moore boy had that Merriman boy that could nock a hole for him to run through. That Robinson boy also had some good boys that could nock a hole like that Roden boy. All of these boys are listed in my Murphy Fair books.

I garuntee you that Moore boy and that Wigfall man are the best runners that have been at South Pittsburg. I remember watching that Moore boy run. He was a real big boy. Some of these runners have had better blockers than others have. That Moore boy had that Merriman boy that could nock a hole for him to run through. That Robinson boy also had some good boys that could nock a hole like that Roden boy. All of these boys are listed in my Murphy Fair books.

Roy, UncleDave pulled out an old highlight video from 1999 and relived some memories last night. That was one highly potent offense. I remember the Greenback game that year....the Pirates scored over 60 points on a fairly good Cherokee team. The only bad part about that video is no matter how many times I watch it, it always ends with the loss the TC Jackets!

roy sr., i'm not questioning your football knowledge, but you are confusing a legal cut block (cutting the gap and blocking on the defenders hip) with a chop block (diving into the knees... ). i garuntee a proper cut block is legal and the offensive players shoulder pad never touches the defenders knee.

I think the terminology or more specifically the usage of words are used differently by different people.

This quote is from a 2004 NFL debate regarding the Denver Broncos.

There is a gray area between the legal cut block and the illegal chop block. The cut block occurs when a player (usually an offensive lineman) blocks another (usually a defensive lineman) below the knees with his helmet in front of the player. The chop block occurs when the same block comes from the side or the back, or when the defensive player is engaged with another offensive player and therefore defenseless.

The full article here.

Stop the Chop?

I think some coaches in HS call the cut block a chop including Grider. I did it during a time out in the 2007 Title Game against McKenzie in the first half in the play that set up a big pass play in the first half. The block was legal the way it was executed. The rules may have been changed since then.

I think the terminology or more specifically the usage of words are used differently by different people.

This quote is from a 2004 NFL debate regarding the Denver Broncos.

The full article here.

Stop the Chop?

I think some coaches in HS call the cut block a chop including Grider. I did it during a time out in the 2007 Title Game against McKenzie in the first half in the play that set up a big pass play in the first half. The block was legal the way it was executed. The rules may have been changed since then.

a cut block as i was taught, was when you had to step over across the a gap put your inside shoulder on the play side hip of the defender and turn him out of the gap,... to cut off the gap. it seems to me that the ones that are getting in a huff about the usage of the term don't have a lot of personal experience with offensive line play, being that anyone who ever played center and was coached well would have recognized my reference immediately. being it's the only thing you can do against and even front when the guard pulls.

a cut block as i was taught, was when you had to step over across the a gap put your inside shoulder on the play side hip of the defender and turn him out of the gap,... to cut off the gap. it seems to me that the ones that are getting in a huff about the usage of the term don't have a lot of personal experience with offensive line play, being that anyone who ever played center and was coached well would have recognized my reference immediately. being it's the only thing you can do against and even front when the guard pulls.

Just to be clear, I agree with what you posted. I was just pointing out that name is cloudy and even differs from Pro to college to H.S. In fact, what you describe is basically what Grider called in the game I mentioned except both he and the lineman used the term "chop." Anyone with that dvd can go back and look at it. The name isn't as important as the technique because if the officials sees an illegal block, they will call it. Grider was a lineman in the old Pirates side saddle single wing which had a lot of pulling action. I think there was a play in the book where the whole line except the center pulled. :roflol:

Edit: The ones in a huff in the above article I linked were Bill Cohwers,Mike Shanahan etc. :mrgreen:

Edited by rlh

Johnny Sisco and Carl Lehr had an all-state full back named David Wyatt blocking for them as well as one of the best single wing Centers the pirates ever had (Terry White) not to mention some all state linemen (Tony Lollis & Carl Layne). Wigfall had some very good blocking based on the pictures and film I saw. Bo Haden did as well. In fact, I would say it is safe to assume that any single wing tail back on that list had good blocking.

Rodney Cummings season was cut short due to a leg fracture. Nonetheless, he went 99 yards on Jasper with that fracture, but it took him for ever and he had a convoy of blockers out of the wing.

Edited by rlh

Just to be clear, I agree with what you posted. I was just pointing out that name is cloudy and even differs from Pro to college to H.S. In fact, what you describe is basically what Grider called in the game I mentioned except both he and the lineman used the term "chop." Anyone with that dvd can go back and look at it. The name isn't as important as the technique because if the officials sees an illegal block, they will call it. Grider was a lineman in the old Pirates side saddle single wing which had a lot of pulling action. I think there was a play in the book where the whole line except the center pulled.

Edit: The ones in a huff in the above article I linked were Bill Cohwers,Mike Shanahan etc. :mrgreen:

i never looked at the link, the "huff" reference was to other posters on here. :lol: i did a lot of research on cut vs. chop, on the nfl level, in the spring and read an article where there was an offensive line coach at denver during their super bowl runs that based his entire offensive scheme on the chop block(into the knees). after the rules were made more strict their superbowl runs ran dry. makes me wonder what shanahans thoughts were. :roflol:

we had one play where the center got to pull, we never ran it... :angry:

Edited by snoball5278

what you are describing isnt what most people would call a cut block. What most coaches and players would call a cut block is blocking the knees or lower. You are simply describing getting your head and the play side like you should do on all blocks. Like youthcoach said, it all depends on your terminology. Just because thats what your coach called it doent mean thats what it is or that you are right and everyone else is wrong. When in fact if you look up the rules it will state a cut block is a block below the waist.

i never looked at the link, the "huff" reference was to other posters on here. :lol: i did a lot of research on cut vs. chop, on the nfl level, in the spring and read an article where there was an offensive line coach at denver during their super bowl runs that based his entire offensive scheme on the chop block(into the knees). after the rules were made more strict their superbowl runs ran dry. makes me wonder what shanahans thoughts were. :roflol:

we had one play where the center got to pull, we never ran it... :angry:

Snoball, let me ask you a question. Did that Satterfield man teach a side body block and a reverse side body block? Grider teaches our boys the side body block. Let me ask you another question. Did those Trousdale boys ever run the play where the snapper hikes it to the passer and the passer gives it back to the snapper between his legs and he takes off? That is a real good play. Grider has never run that play. You think im joking but im not.

what you are describing isnt what most people would call a cut block. What most coaches and players would call a cut block is blocking the knees or lower. You are simply describing getting your head and the play side like you should do on all blocks. Like youthcoach said, it all depends on your terminology. Just because thats what your coach called it doent mean thats what it is or that you are right and everyone else is wrong. When in fact if you look up the rules it will state a cut block is a block below the waist.

most people haven't been properly educated to blocking terminology. in the world of well coached blocking, cut blocking is; cutting off a gap by being able to reach around a man that is shading your play side gap and blocking on the hip as all blocks should be, i.e. cutting off the gap. not to be confused with a "reach block" which is blocking a defender that's an entire man over, if not more. a chop is going into the knee's whether intentionally or unintentionally. it's not terminology that changes the block, it's head and shoulder placement that changes the terminology. being i was taught this by one of the most successfull coaches in state history and at one of the most decorated programs in the state, i'll stick by it. :thumb:

btw, when was the last time you heard a ref say, "15 yd penalty for cut blocking."? odds are it was "15 yard penalty for chop block." :D

Snoball, let me ask you a question. Did that Satterfield man teach a side body block and a reverse side body block? Grider teaches our boys the side body block. Let me ask you another question. Did those Trousdale boys ever run the play where the snapper hikes it to the passer and the passer gives it back to the snapper between his legs and he takes off? That is a real good play. Grider has never run that play. You think im joking but im not.

roy sr., we were the best at side body blocks, but just run of the mill at reverse side body blocks. :lol: we never ran that play either, but it wasn't because i never insisted on running it. maybe clint and grider know something we don't. :huh: