where does Raquis Hale fit in the list of all time running backs at S.P.

RoyDJ

South Pittsburg running back ratings begin with Wigfall......then a loooong space........then a lot of other greats lumped pretty close together. JMO.....but unless you saw Jimmy play, you just don't know. He could still get it done today better than most.

I'm starting to question if Jimmy Wigfall was real or if he was just some mythical creature you guys made up so that no one could ever be the greatest again haha. people think I'm kidding but I'm serious.

Everyone I know, or have ever met, in the South Pitt talks about Jimmy Wigfall. Of course I never saw him play, but I have met him, and I agree with Al...he looks like he could still play!

The best I ever saw was Eddie Moore...by far, not even a close second. Then Sam Pickett. No offense to Hale or Robinson, but I would hate to see what Moore and Pickett would have done against Jo Byrns and/or McKensie. I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again...Trousdale County still hasn't tackled either one!

Edited by SEVEN

Everyone I know, or have ever met, in the South Pitt talks about Jimmy Wigfall. Of course I never saw him play, but I have met him, and I agree with Al...he looks like he could still play!

The best I ever saw was Eddie Moore...by far, not even a close second. Then Sam Pickett. No offense to Hale or Robinson, but Moore and Pickett could have put up 300-400 yards against Jo Byrns and/or McKensie. I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again...Trousdale County still hasn't tackled either one!

seven, we've discussed this before and i'm just gonna throw it out here to stir the pot. if... (yes i know "if") if shawn vaughn hadn't broke his neck in fall of 99, the legend of sam pickett could have easily ended the same as the legend of eddie moore.

seven, we've discussed this before and i'm just gonna throw it out here to stir the pot. if... (yes i know "if") if shawn vaughn hadn't broke his neck in fall of 99, the legend of sam pickett could have easily ended the same as the legend of eddie moore.

Snowball and Seven....two good guys from Trousdale that I met at the State Game last year. I have been watching Pirate football since the early 80s. I would say that the 85 and 86 runnerup teams would beat all the ones after them. Those teams were loaded with talent and ran the single-wing offense. I would love to see them in something more modern.

No doubt Eddie Moore was the best since I have been watching SP. He was dominate in every way....just came up short against a good Trousdale Co team. The feeling after that loss will never go away.

Sam was pure speed....probably the fastest guy I have ever seen in high school. I tried to get him to race me a few times....he declined so he would not embarrass an old slow white boy.

Fill us in on Vaughn?? I have never heard that story.

I don't have any arguments about anyone mentioned. I always like to point out the J. Sisco was probably the smallest and liked to run up the middle out of the side saddle single wing. He racked up 330 something yards on ~45 carries against the best defense in the state in the 3rd round of the '85 playoffs. That was almost half what they had given up in the 12 previous game. Oneida was laughing at him when he got to town and even had a banner made up special for him.

Carl Lehr doesn't get mentioned much but like Sisco his single season rushing record was top of the list for a long time. I saw him get beat on like a rented mule up at Grundy against one of their better defenses and he still ground out 101 yards and the winning 2pt try. He could get abused like a government mule and still deliver the mail.

Bo Haden was the first great Pirate back I got to see run. He went to the University of Louisville.

Snowball and Seven....two good guys from Trousdale that I met at the State Game last year. I have been watching Pirate football since the early 80s. I would say that the 85 and 86 runnerup teams would beat all the ones after them. Those teams were loaded with talent and ran the single-wing offense. I would love to see them in something more modern.

No doubt Eddie Moore was the best since I have been watching SP. He was dominate in every way....just came up short against a good Trousdale Co team. The feeling after that loss will never go away.

Sam was pure speed....probably the fastest guy I have ever seen in high school. I tried to get him to race me a few times....he declined so he would not embarrass an old slow white boy.

Fill us in on Vaughn?? I have never heard that story.

In '85 and '86 it was still just A, AA, and AAA with all the privates still in there so there were a lot more schools in A. The 09 and 2010 title games would be more like a semi-final game in the 80s. In the 70s only a few teams made the playoffs.

Edited by rlh

In '85 and '86 it was still just A, AA, and AAA with all the privates still in there so there were a lot more schools in A. The 09 and 2010 title games would be more like a semi-final game in the 80s. In the 70s only a few teams made the playoffs.

No dog in this race but you made a great point. There are now 8 state champions as compared to three. I wouldnt be suprised if some of your old stand outs would absolutley run all over the watered down competetion now. It was much, much tougher to win prior to all the divisions. If you made the semifinals back then you were one of the best 12 teams in the state. If you make it now you are one of the 32 best. BIG BIG difffernce.