Cherokee High School Coaching

bfun1

At tonight's game with Morristown West a personal foul occurred in which a kid was ejected. This thread is not whether or not the call was good/bad/necessary but more about what happened afterwards.

A friend of my child is on the color guard and they were getting in position for their halftime show when she heard a member of Cherokee's coaching staff tell some players to "play dirty, rip their helmets off".

To any parents of Cherokee players, I would hope that this would alarm you that someone you trust to teach your son, not only the game of football, but little life lessons about sportsmanship and respect, is teaching your kids how to be dirty and classless. All of the parents and fans from Cherokee that I've met/seen have always been nice and respectful. You might want to check into what your coaching staff is teaching your kids.

I felt the need to post this just as a FYI as I would want to know that an authority figure was teaching my child things like this. Good luck the rest of the season.

You would find comments like that on just about every sideline and normally there is not much to them. I do however, believe the hit on Jose Rico, the Morristown West kicker, was called by the coaches. Rico had kicked every kickoff in the endzone and erased Cherokee's return game, which is normally a factor in every West-Cherokee game. I think the Cherokee staff was trying to rattle Rico's confidence in order to make his kickoffs less effective. I hope I am wrong about this but either way the Cherokee player should have been ejected and I think he should be suspended 2 games instead of just one (which by the way is a non-conference game).

You would find comments like that on just about every sideline and normally there is not much to them. I do however, believe the hit on Jose Rico, the Morristown West kicker, was called by the coaches. Rico had kicked every kickoff in the endzone and erased Cherokee's return game, which is normally a factor in every West-Cherokee game. I think the Cherokee staff was trying to rattle Rico's confidence in order to make his kickoffs less effective. I hope I am wrong about this but either way the Cherokee player should have been ejected and I think he should be suspended 2 games instead of just one (which by the way is a non-conference game).

As I much as I hate to admit it, you're probably right about the comments being common on most sidelines. I think I am still rattled at how blatant the actual play was. And then to see kids high fiving and patting him on the back like he just made a good play. And the coaches even getting flagged themselves because they were actually irate about the call. I understand frustration, but this was ridiculous.

At tonight's game with Morristown West a personal foul occurred in which a kid was ejected. This thread is not whether or not the call was good/bad/necessary but more about what happened afterwards.

A friend of my child is on the color guard and they were getting in position for their halftime show when she heard a member of Cherokee's coaching staff tell some players to "play dirty, rip their helmets off".

To any parents of Cherokee players, I would hope that this would alarm you that someone you trust to teach your son, not only the game of football, but little life lessons about sportsmanship and respect, is teaching your kids how to be dirty and classless. All of the parents and fans from Cherokee that I've met/seen have always been nice and respectful. You might want to check into what your coaching staff is teaching your kids.

I felt the need to post this just as a FYI as I would want to know that an authority figure was teaching my child things like this. Good luck the rest of the season.

So..the information came from "a friend of a student in the color guard"?...and you are alarmed?? OOOOOOkay!?

Obviously West. Do you have a child/friend/acquaintance involved with Cherokee High? Did you see the play in question?

Then if you have "an ounce reading comprehension"...you'd see that my comment is SPOT ON...you daughter is a "friend of a student" which I mentioned in my first post...furthermore...has any player, trainer, coach, manager or administrator complained, questioned the coach after the game, or mentioned this to anyone?...or is this...a member of the color guard not understanding the "sideline talk" as it pertains to competitive, high emotion, contact sports?...as usual...my kid heard the coach say something inappropriate...and now I'm gonna tell all the parents what their coach said......wow..today's parents!

"rip their heads off" has been side by every coach (including all of yours) on every sideline in America. If you can't handle hearing that you should go watch competitive chess or something.

FYI I don't know a single player , coach , fan or person from either school, just found your comments to be absurd!

Edited by old24eagle

I'm not saying that there shouldn't have benn a flag thrown but I am confused as to exactly why. Is the rule that you can not hit the kicker? If not then is the kicker not allowed to make a tackle? There was helmet to helmet contact on the play but that is not what the official called. Was it dirty? Probably. Does it warrant an ejection and a one game suspension? Not in my opinion unless the rules have changed.

Language such as rip their heads off or something similiar is common. So is I hope we "kill" them tonight, but no one with a brain in their head would take that literally.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't have benn a flag thrown but I am confused as to exactly why. Is the rule that you can not hit the kicker? If not then is the kicker not allowed to make a tackle? There was helmet to helmet contact on the play but that is not what the official called. Was it dirty? Probably. Does it warrant an ejection and a one game suspension? Not in my opinion unless the rules have changed.

Language such as rip their heads off or something similiar is common. So is I hope we "kill" them tonight, but no one with a brain in their head would take that literally.

I now realize that I am probably overreacting. What initially caused my reaction was at the time this statement was made:

1) Cherokee was behind 42-13 and it was almost halftime

2) They had just been whistled for personal foul and had a kid ejected

3) The kids and coaches on the sidelines were basically celebrating the play

4) And the ripping the helmet's off statement is not so much a big deal as telling the kids to "play dirty".

I felt that they were basically promoting poor sportsmanship and telling their kids to try and injure the other team since the game was basically out of hand at that point.

Again, I overreacted and apologize to anyone I offended. I would gladly delete this whole thread if I could.

The kicker is fair game when he puts himself into the play, when he goes upfield like he is going to make an attempt at a tackle anyone can block him.