Cherokee High School Coaching

bfun1

Mo East blindsided our kicker a few years back. They brought the guy on the sideline on a dead run and he blindsided our kicker. The next kickoff one of our guys peeled back and blindsided the guy from east who was going to blindside the kicker. KAPOW!!! That ended the blinsiding the kicker the rest of the game.

A good point someone made is that the kicker IS a player and can make a tackle, so he should be "Blocked", not "Beheaded". A cheap shot is a cheap shot mo matter how you try to justify it. There is also a difference between good hardnosed football and dirty football.

A strategy I always wanted to try was not to retaliate against the players who were taking cheap shots that were apparently coaches orders, but retaliate against the coaches themselves. Run a sweep right.....WAY Right....if you know what I mean. :roflol:

I have seen what could be considered cheap shots on kickers before, but the kicker is a member of the team last time i checked. If he doesn't want to get hit he should just make a beeline for the sidelines after kickoff. Otherwise, strap it on and grow a set.

You were obviously not at the game, as the kicker made the approach the defender made a beeline at the kicker and hit him as soon as the ball was in the air, the kicker hadn't even finished his follow through when he was hit. I agree that kickers are part of the team and are fair game but this play was malicious, the kicker had not taken one step upfield and didn't have a chance to defend himself.

When I played way back in the 80s Cherokee was always the dirtiest most "red neck" team we played. Watching them through the years, this has not changed. Kids change but the one constant is Sivert. Something must be done. I am not at all surprised by his teams actions, they have done it for years

Absolutely correct. The fact that the coaches and players went nuts when the kid threw the cheap shot is testament that Sivert is at the root of the thug mentality at Cherokee. He is a real low life.

You were obviously not at the game, as the kicker made the approach the defender made a beeline at the kicker and hit him as soon as the ball was in the air, the kicker hadn't even finished his follow through when he was hit. I agree that kickers are part of the team and are fair game but this play was malicious, the kicker had not taken one step upfield and didn't have a chance to defend himself.

You have got to be delerious if you think a lineman can hit a kicker on his follow through. You guys may have linemen that fast but we sure don't. They start out ten yards apart minimum. The kicking team is running full speed and the recieving team is still. If the kicking team crosses too soon it is offsides. The kicker could have been hit at best five yards after he kicked the ball if they were going about the same speed.If he hadn't finished his follow through then I wouldn't want to play hopscotch against him for money! :roflol:

You have got to be delerious if you think a lineman can hit a kicker on his follow through. You guys may have linemen that fast but we sure don't. They start out ten yards apart minimum. The kicking team is running full speed and the recieving team is still. If the kicking team crosses too soon it is offsides. The kicker could have been hit at best five yards after he kicked the ball if they were going about the same speed.If he hadn't finished his follow through then I wouldn't want to play hopscotch against him for money! :roflol:

By follow through I meant the steps that his moment carries him into, not his leg still being in the air from the kick, and they were not going the same speed the lineman started running before the kick and was near full speed when he hit him. That is beside the point, the fact is it was a dirty and malicious play and has no place in football, it would be different if he had kicked it and started to run upfield, but the lineman had no intention of making a football play and was predetermined to hit the kicker.

When I played way back in the 80s Cherokee was always the dirtiest most "red neck" team we played. Watching them through the years, this has not changed. Kids change but the one constant is Sivert. Something must be done. I am not at all surprised by his teams actions, they have done it for years

I must agree with you. After playing this team last night in the Hawkins Co. Super Bowl I was very discouraged by what I saw on the Cherokee side lines, Players and COACHES. The coaches were jumping up and down celebrating after their players were flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct, after ruffing the QB. Cherokee was penalized for 139 yards,some of which came from the sidelines,a direct result of the type of coaching Cherokee has. I must applaud our coaches,players,and fans.Today I am proud to be a Falcon Fan!

Guest footballfan100

i was at the game last night also and what i saw was a shameful and disgrace of what coaching should ever be. After the Volunteer quarterback was deliberlately slammed to the ground while out of bounds, well behind where the players stand on the sideline, the coaching staff at Cherokee stood over the QB and was flexing their muscles and jumping, high fiving, yelling, all the while standing over the QB!! I was an impartial fan to the game but after this game, I became a Volunteer fan. I just dont understand how the administrators at Cherokee cna stand for this week after week. Had to be one of the most disrespectful and embarassing coaching performances that I have EVER seen!!! I know that some of the Volunteer fans may not agree with their coach, but ask yourself who you would rather have.....Cherokee coach thug (sivert) or Coach Rider??? I applaud the Volunteer coaching staff for maintaining their composure and and for being leaders of their football team like real coaches.....

Sivert has always been a joke. I just wish somebody would "bump" into him on the sidelines. He has NO CLASS.

I wouldn't want my kid playing for the bum.

The players, I can somewhat understand.... a big game, emotions, 16 - 18 yr old young men.

Cherokee outgunned the Falcons straight up but after several years of the unsportsmanlike conduct they exhibit in this game and since my kids do not play anymore, I did not and will not make the trip to Rogersville to see their dirty play. Even when my son played and we beat them like 22-0, they had two personal fouls in the last 30 seconds while we ran the clock out. It sounds like this year they have taken it into other games as well like with the Mo West kicker. I am glad the Falcons kept their cool and didn't get into the dirty play Cherokee obviously exhibited after about 6 or 7 personal fouls. Hats off to Rider for not stooping to that level.

I guess things look different depending on which sideline you stand on. The personal fouls were: helmet to helmet contact where the reciever caught the ball in the flat, immediately turned and was hit by House,there was nothing different either one could have done. He did not lead with his head. A regular football play that gets no flag 95% of the time and probably wouldn't have at all if the unfortunate injury had not occurred last week. A late hit was issued for a hit on a reciever in which the reciever missed the pass it fell to the ground and bounced up into his hands. The DB bumped him, he did not fall but it was after the whistle and should have been called. Later the QB(Harris) ran around the left side and House hit him inbounds picked him up and they landed out of bounds while also knocking down the referee. I think they were equally excited that the referee was involved in the play. This was right in the midst of the coaches. I think there would not have even been a flag thrown if the referee hadn't gotten knocked down and all of the sideline had not have went wild over the hit. I thought VHS played a great game for the most part, Rogers being out made a huge difference. Sivert is not a thug. He has some very spirited assistant coaches though. I do truly wish that VHS could get their football problems solved. It's hard to have consistent play when you change coaches every four years.

I guess things look different depending on which sideline you stand on. The personal fouls were: helmet to helmet contact where the reciever caught the ball in the flat, immediately turned and was hit by House,there was nothing different either one could have done. He did not lead with his head. A regular football play that gets no flag 95% of the time and probably wouldn't have at all if the unfortunate injury had not occurred last week. A late hit was issued for a hit on a reciever in which the reciever missed the pass it fell to the ground and bounced up into his hands. The DB bumped him, he did not fall but it was after the whistle and should have been called. Later the QB(Harris) ran around the left side and House hit him inbounds picked him up and they landed out of bounds while also knocking down the referee. I think they were equally excited that the referee was involved in the play. This was right in the midst of the coaches. I think there would not have even been a flag thrown if the referee hadn't gotten knocked down and all of the sideline had not have went wild over the hit. I thought VHS played a great game for the most part, Rogers being out made a huge difference. Sivert is not a thug. He has some very spirited assistant coaches though. I do truly wish that VHS could get their football problems solved. It's hard to have consistent play when you change coaches every four years.

Make all the excuses you want, you have red neck thugs coaching your kids....bottom line.

Make all the excuses you want, you have red neck thugs coaching your kids....bottom line.

I'm not making excuses, just the observations I saw. Our coaches are not red necks or thugs. In fact I would venture to say that our coaches are just like your coaches, they like hard nosed football and physical play. Most football coaches are like that I think. Maybe your football coaches can get excited over some hard hits this year too.By the way did you see the parent blessing out the VHS coaches at the press box during the 4th quarter? People who live in glass houses.....