MBA vs. Baylor

Custer

33, the running back/linebacker hurt his lower leg/ankle.

I hope the young man will be ok. You hate to see any of these boys suffer an injury. On another note, I too attended the game last night and MBA seems very different than I remember. I always thought MBA was known for how big football was at their school. Last night I observed something very different. It seemed to be more of a social hour with very few folks even paying attention to the game or cheering the team on. The people sitting behind me changed about 3 times and I can assure you each conversation I heard had nothing to do with the game. I even noticed the head of the school socializing the entire time on the field. I don't believe I have ever attended a football game that a rock band was playing the entire time the game was not going on, and so loud I might add that you could not even have a conversation. What happen to a good old high school marching band? Perhaps that is why everyone was having their perspective conversations during the game. In a nutshell it felt very much like I was at a social event with karaoke and a game happen to be going on in the background. That is really too bad for the boys on the field playing their heart out and the coaches that work so hard. I wonder if the new coach is scratching his head in amazement. What happened to the football tradition at this school? Perhaps they should move the band indoors along with the folks that dont want to watch the game to socialize and let the people that actually care about the game enjoy it in the way that it should be enjoyed. I just think the team and the coaches deserve more respect than that and it starts at the top down. This is however just my personal opionion and an observation, perhaps it is not like that every game. I'm curious and a bit shocked.

I hope the young man will be ok. You hate to see any of these boys suffer an injury. On another note, I too attended the game last night and MBA seems very different than I remember. I always thought MBA was known for how big football was at their school. Last night I observed something very different. It seemed to be more of a social hour with very few folks even paying attention to the game or cheering the team on. The people sitting behind me changed about 3 times and I can assure you each conversation I heard had nothing to do with the game. I even noticed the head of the school socializing the entire time on the field. I don't believe I have ever attended a football game that a rock band was playing the entire time the game was not going on, and so loud I might add that you could not even have a conversation. What happen to a good old high school marching band? Perhaps that is why everyone was having their perspective conversations during the game. In a nutshell it felt very much like I was at a social event with karaoke and a game happen to be going on in the background. That is really too bad for the boys on the field playing their heart out and the coaches that work so hard. I wonder if the new coach is scratching his head in amazement. What happened to the football tradition at this school? Perhaps they should move the band indoors along with the folks that dont want to watch the game to socialize and let the people that actually care about the game enjoy it in the way that it should be enjoyed. I just think the team and the coaches deserve more respect than that and it starts at the top down. This is however just my personal opionion and an observation, perhaps it is not like that every game. I'm curious and a bit shocked.

I'm not a fan of the rock music at every break. It's loud, it's annoying, and it makes it hard to discuss the game. Rest assured that us old guys near the top beside the pressbox were discussing football.

MBA seems very different than I remember. I always thought MBA was known for how big football was at their school. Last night I observed something very different. It seemed to be more of a social hour with very few folks even paying attention to the game or cheering the team on. The people sitting behind me changed about 3 times and I can assure you each conversation I heard had nothing to do with the game. I even noticed the head of the school socializing the entire time on the field. I don't believe I have ever attended a football game that a rock band was playing the entire time the game was not going on, and so loud I might add that you could not even have a conversation.

I had a similar impression during the BA game. The MBA side was only half-full at kickoff (maybe because of an early start), and the student section didn't seem as involved or large as it was back in my high school days 8-12 years ago.

Granted, I was sitting on the other side of the field, but looking across at the home stands, there wasn't a big-game feel.

Maybe that's partly due to MBA's poor performance the week before against Trinity, and maybe it's because BA and MBA were playing so early in the season. Who knows.

I had a similar impression during the BA game. The MBA side was only half-full at kickoff (maybe because of an early start), and the student section didn't seem as involved or large as it was back in my high school days 8-12 years ago.

Granted, I was sitting on the other side of the field, but looking across at the home stands, there wasn't a big-game feel.

Maybe that's partly due to MBA's poor performance the week before against Trinity, and maybe it's because BA and MBA were playing so early in the season. Who knows.

The culture at MBA has undergone a pretty significant change over the years. The current headmaster puts a great emphasis on arts and the theatre, and interaction with Harpeth Hall. I was there during Francis E. Carter's era, when MBA wasn't just an all male school, it was a manly institution. He embodied the concept of "Gentleman, Scholar, Athlete," and in that order. There was no mention of "Artist, Thespian, Metrosexual" at all. Changes over time are not always progress.

On the other hand, MBA crowds have always been fashionably late. No idea why.