McCallie at Baylor

oldwiseone

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with each school hosting the game at whatever facility they choose.....it is their right to do so. Not everyone gets a ticket to the Super Bowl that wants one. Personally, I wish McCallie would play the game at their stadium, but it would create too many problems and exclude too many people who want to see the game.

To each his own.....

And...have the safety people there when the game starts.....no excuses!!!!!

Edited by oldwiseone

Ok first I want to say congrats to Baylor. The first half of the game they played as good as any team I have seen. Yes I will say it...their mistakes helped us make a game of it and I was proud of the way we fought back. But Baylor is very good. Now bluemom I really hesitate to say anything because you are a proud McCallie supporter and have alot of passion for the blue. But it just seems you can never say anything good without adding some kind of insult. Why not say something nice without a jab? Wow, yes their was alot of traffic and it can be a pain. But we all knew it would be and we plan accordingly. I agree with oldwiseone. I really wish that McCallie would return the game to campus. I don't care if everyone gets to come or not....it would be so much more special. The game at Baylor was just tremendous....traffic and all. Finley no way no how....can compare. Just don't see how that can be argued. Anyway bluemom I like your passion. But maybe sometime a congrats without complaining would be nice. For what it's worth.

However, as game administrator (home team responsibility), I would never start competition without appropriate safety personnel present regardless of who might or might not have planned appropriately. There is no event big enough to risk the life of any participant, child or official. We have had 2 tragic football related fatalities in the Chattanooga area within the last 3 weeks alone. When seconds count, if it were my child, the ambulance had better be there. Of course, that is the game administrators decision and assumption of liability. Hope your pockets are deep.

If this is true, then you must be saying that as long as any supposed liability might lie elsewhere, then McCallie is willing to let their team participate in an unsafe environment. I am pretty sure that is not the case. It was obviously not deemed unsafe by those other than you.

Back to the game- congratulations on a great comeback by the Big Blue. Most teams would have rolled over after the first half but McCallie fought back to have a chance to win on their last drive. It made for an intense- too intense for those of us in red- 4th quarter.

Edited by mtnrasslin

Ok first I want to say congrats to Baylor. The first half of the game they played as good as any team I have seen. Yes I will say it...their mistakes helped us make a game of it and I was proud of the way we fought back. But Baylor is very good. Now bluemom I really hesitate to say anything because you are a proud McCallie supporter and have alot of passion for the blue. But it just seems you can never say anything good without adding some kind of insult. Why not say something nice without a jab? Wow, yes their was alot of traffic and it can be a pain. But we all knew it would be and we plan accordingly. I agree with oldwiseone. I really wish that McCallie would return the game to campus. I don't care if everyone gets to come or not....it would be so much more special. The game at Baylor was just tremendous....traffic and all. Finley no way no how....can compare. Just don't see how that can be argued. Anyway bluemom I like your passion. But maybe sometime a congrats without complaining would be nice. For what it's worth.

Having the Baylor game at McCallie is really not feasible from a logistics standpoint. I don't see that happening....as cool as it would be.

Having the Baylor game at McCallie is really not feasible from a logistics standpoint. I don't see that happening....as cool as it would be.

There was a time not too long ago when the game was held on the McCallie campus. I recall it to be an exciting environment certainly on par with the game being held at Baylor. It seems that more and more players and students on both sides are speaking out on their feelings that they find the on campus environment more desirable and memorable than Finley, which, frankly, is pretty sterile for a high school game. What has changed that makes a home game unfeasible?

There was a time not too long ago when the game was held on the McCallie campus. I recall it to be an exciting environment certainly on par with the game being held at Baylor. It seems that more and more players and students on both sides are speaking out on their feelings that they find the on campus environment more desirable and memorable than Finley, which, frankly, is pretty sterile for a high school game. What has changed that makes a home game unfeasible?

What has changed is there are betwen 10,000 and 13,000 fans who want to see the game in person. McCallie is committed to making the game accessible to anyone who wants to pay the price of admission.

What has changed is there are betwen 10,000 and 13,000 fans who want to see the game in person. McCallie is committed to making the game accessible to anyone who wants to pay the price of admission.

Fair enough. I do not think that the interest level is any greater than it has ever been but obviously the home team can have the game wherever they choose.

McCallie can host the game wherever they want but I think you are confusing the issues. McCallie stadium, like Baylor, has a capacity of around 6000, and the only people that will show up for the game are those that have tickets ahead of time. No one else gets in. So, the logistics of 10-13,000 is irrelevant since the logistics are the capacity of the stadium.

Now, one might argue that all 10-13,000 that want to see the game ought to be able to see it, and if that is one's point of view, then Finley is a great venue. But if you want a great atmosphere with deafening noise and want to take advantage of a home field advantage (as Baylor does), then hold the game at McCallie. I don't think logistics are the real issue here. I think its the tradeoff between great atmosphere and access to all.

One last word. I was at the game at Baylor when Baylor broke the streak and that was the single most exciting sporting event I have ever attended. The atmosphere was movie-like and pure "Friday Night Lights".

Edited by just_do_it

McCallie can host the game wherever they want but I think you are confusing the issues. McCallie stadium, like Baylor, has a capacity of around 6000, and the only people that will show up for the game are those that have tickets ahead of time. No one else gets in. So, the logistics of 10-13,000 is irrelevant since the logistics are the capacity of the stadium.

Now, one might argue that all 10-13,000 that want to see the game ought to be able to see it, and if that is one's point of view, then Finley is a great venue. But if you want a great atmosphere with deafening noise and want to take advantage of a home field advantage (as Baylor does), then hold the game at McCallie. I don't think logistics are the real issue here. I think its the tradeoff between great atmosphere and access to all.

One last word. I was at the game at Baylor when Baylor broke the streak and that was the single most exciting sporting event I have ever attended. The atmosphere was movie-like and pure "Friday Night Lights".

Like I said, McCallie is committed to letting all those who want to attend this game do so.....thus Finley.

I agree with oldwiseone that McCallie is committed to allowing all in the community who want to attend to be able to do so. It is also alumni reunion weekend for McCallie with lots of extra activities occurring both on campus and around town adding to the logistics issues. I would also argue that while stadium capacity is approximately 5500 and you can limit ticket sales to pre-sell only, alot of folks in a community expect walk-up ticket sales at a high school game and just show up. The TSSAA requires walk up sales in their playoffs. I know I answered plenty of calls about walk up sales last week.

Most importantly, it was a great game (at least one half of it for me!). I will also have to agree that one of my most exciting sports events (and nerve wracking) was the first time Baylor moved us back to their campus and my son was the starting long snapper as a sophomore. He was fortunate enough to have the winning long snap in double OT for the Blue!