Coalfield Hosts Wartburg

JamesHootGibson

Coalfield VS Wartburg  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the 2011 Hoot Bowl

Friday when the Yellow Jackets of Coalfield (4-1) host the Bulldogs of Wartburg (2-4) you will see a historical and hostile game for Morgan County Football. This rivalry is one of the best in Eastern Tennessee. This year Wartburg is down from losing a powerful senior class and Coalfield is up with a strong junior class but toss the records out of the equation, these two teams will play their best football against each other. Opinions?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday when the Yellow Jackets of Coalfield (4-1) host the Bulldogs of Wartburg (2-4) you will see a historical and hostile game for Morgan County Football. This rivalry is one of the best in Eastern Tennessee. This year Wartburg is down from losing a powerful senior class and Coalfield is up with a strong junior class but toss the records out of the equation, these two teams will play their best football against each other. Opinions?

I also think you can throw the record books out here. I know, I played in 4 of these games! Coalfield is sitting undefeated and looking like a mighty good football team. While Wartburg is young this year, they have played well as of late. So who knows, this could turn out to be a good contest!!

This game should be called Who gives a Hoot Bowl. I give the edge to Coalfield. Wartburg's coaching is at the little league level.

And at what level do you coach? About eye level with the TV on Saturdays and Sundays? I think Wartburg is playing much better, and has a chance to pull the upset in this one.

Wartburg-27

Coalfield-23

Well, it looks like Wartburg took one on the chin tonight at Coalfield. I wasn't surprised that Coalfield won, but I was surprised at the margin of victory. I also must say that I was VERY baffled as to why Coalfield had their starters in so late in the game. I mean if you're up by 42 points why on earth do you take a risk of getting starters hurt? I guess it was a pride thing or maybe just rubbing some salt in the wounds. Also, whether anybody likes it or not, the late hits on Wartburg's QB were nothing more than CHEAP SHOTS-period. And it's funny to me how the "announcers" on WECO talk about everybody "hugging everybody's neck" after the game. Well, I think that maybe tonight some Wartburg folks weren't in the mood for "neckhugging" and other pleasantries. Personally, I can't stand listening to "Frick and Frack and the Boy Blunder" call games. I guess it goes back to the days of Adcock's lousy John Ward imitations. Usually I preach sporsmanship and class in football, but tonight I think some of it was sorely lacking. Sure, having played for Wartburg for 4 years I know all too well about the emotions in Coalfield games. But I think in this case, starters should have been pulled and all the late hits shouldn't have happened. I know that Coalfield has a really good thing going now and their likely to win for some time. But there is an old saying about "what comes around..."

Well, it looks like Wartburg took one on the chin tonight at Coalfield. I wasn't surprised that Coalfield won, but I was surprised at the margin of victory. I also must say that I was VERY baffled as to why Coalfield had their starters in so late in the game. I mean if you're up by 42 points why on earth do you take a risk of getting starters hurt? I guess it was a pride thing or maybe just rubbing some salt in the wounds. Also, whether anybody likes it or not, the late hits on Wartburg's QB were nothing more than CHEAP SHOTS-period. And it's funny to me how the "announcers" on WECO talk about everybody "hugging everybody's neck" after the game. Well, I think that maybe tonight some Wartburg folks weren't in the mood for "neckhugging" and other pleasantries. Personally, I can't stand listening to "Frick and Frack and the Boy Blunder" call games. I guess it goes back to the days of Adcock's lousy John Ward imitations. Usually I preach sporsmanship and class in football, but tonight I think some of it was sorely lacking. Sure, having played for Wartburg for 4 years I know all too well about the emotions in Coalfield games. But I think in this case, starters should have been pulled and all the late hits shouldn't have happened. I know that Coalfield has a really good thing going now and their likely to win for some time. But there is an old saying about "what comes around..."

Well, since you mentioned it, there are some questions... If you are getting beat 42-0 why do you keep your starters in? Is it a "Pride" thing? Why stop the clock with 6 seconds to go & kick a field goal? Is it a "Pride" thing? As far as the late hits and cheap shots, go review a film-Blue and Black have guilt on both sides. Speaking of Sportsmanship and Class, what was up with the coach throwing a tantrum out on the field and trashing his headset? Also, in regards to class, when there is a medical emergency in the stands and the game is halted to get the ambulance crew over to assist, what is up with the fans screaming to restart the game? As for the announcers on WECO, you ought to be thankful that these people give of their time to cover the games. Most small schools get no coverage at all. The games between Coalfield and Wartburg will always be volatile, but before you get on a public forum and discuss cheap-shots, sportsmanship and class, make sure "Ye without sin cast the first stone".

Just hush. It's your fault for getting to emotionally invested in this game and thinking the Bulldogs could actually hang with the upcoming 1a state champion Coalfield Yellow Jackets.

Well, since you mentioned it, there are some questions... If you are getting beat 42-0 why do you keep your starters in? Is it a "Pride" thing? Why stop the clock with 6 seconds to go & kick a field goal? Is it a "Pride" thing? As far as the late hits and cheap shots, go review a film-Blue and Black have guilt on both sides. Speaking of Sportsmanship and Class, what was up with the coach throwing a tantrum out on the field and trashing his headset? Also, in regards to class, when there is a medical emergency in the stands and the game is halted to get the ambulance crew over to assist, what is up with the fans screaming to restart the game? As for the announcers on WECO, you ought to be thankful that these people give of their time to cover the games. Most small schools get no coverage at all. The games between Coalfield and Wartburg will always be volatile, but before you get on a public forum and discuss cheap-shots, sportsmanship and class, make sure "Ye without sin cast the first stone".

Always volatile? I guess you've played in a few of these games like I have? The coach threw his headset? Well, could you blame him? Like Gary Kreis never threw a tantrum? Are you kidding me? And , even though I have a ton of respect for the man's coaching ability, he showed a lot of sportmanship when Coalfield lost a game in those days-not only would he not be interviewed on the radio, he wouldn't even be quoted in the newspaper! Thankful for WECO? Well, hey I guess any coverage is good coverage, but I wouldn't mind seeing Frick and Frack go-after hearing "it looks good-it is good" and other "Wardisms" for 30 years,I think they've run their course! Again, don't tell me ANYTHING about Wartburg-Coalfield. I vividly recall kids gathering around and throwing gravel at us as we walked out to warm up-course that was in the 80's -maybe before your time. I know some folks from Coalfield too, and when Coach Henry first came and lost a few games, all I heard was bad mouthing from them. So maybe some day when Coalfield goes through some lean times maybe those fickle folks won't rear their heads!