Henry County @ Clarksville High

SEC1rules

After 30 years of coaching..(there I said it too)...I can only assume you are "already deaf" given the amount of whistles blown in your direction, scoreboard horns you've heard, cussings you've had from parents, and certainly if you attend HC games in your retirement and sit near Randy's train horn!.....I believe however that Ridgeway to be better than East...but East still dangerous IF allowed to gain any momentum as teams like Melrose, Fairley, and even East teams of the past were prone to do!....however..I agree....we should be able to beat these teams but not to the level of beating we put on Raleigh Egypt a couple years back!

My hearing is fine, but I appreciate your concern. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be when I read, but that's about my only age related problem. We will annihilate both East and Ridgeway, should we play them...we are very good, but they aren't very good. Raleigh Egypt was terrible when we played them.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here ya go 'Warrior....in case your paper is a day or 2 late getting to the lake area...here's the coach quoted in the paper as pertains to our discussion!

“I tell everybody that we schedule the best people we can in the two games that start the season before the district games begin,†Counce said Monday. “Liberty is one of the top programs in any class in West Tennessee. We played Beech and they were a state champion in Class Five A just two years ago. As far as our district goes, we play the games that the state assigns us there.â€

I read what he said, but what's he going to say? I have been a coach, and he has to say what he just said. The fact is however, that Liberty is just fair or below, and Beech is fair at best. The terrible district opponents aren't his fault. If he wants to play a tough schedule the first two weeks, he needs to schedule Ensworth one of those weeks. They are always looking for games. Riverdale is another opponent who is good on a yearly basis. But I think the schedule is just fine like it is...I have ALWAYS stated that playing a tough team or two in August or early September has no carryover at all to the playoffs in November...and whoever thinks it does is a fool (sorry olddevil).

Edited by Red Warrior

I read what he said, but what's he going to say? I have been a coach, and he has to say what he just said. The fact is however, that Liberty is just fair or below, and Beech is fair at best. The terrible district opponents aren't his fault. If he wants to play a tough schedule the first two weeks, he needs to schedule Ensworth one of those weeks. They are always looking for games. Riverdale is another opponent who is good on a yearly basis. But I think the schedule is just fine like it is...I have ALWAYS stated that playing a tough team or two in August or early September has no carryover at all to the playoffs in November...and whoever thinks it does is a fool (sorry olddevil).

Riverdale, Smyrna, and Oakland where all looking for games to open season. Riverdale will end up traveling to Brighton and Oakland all the way to Arlington next year to start the season. Those teams came up here this year.

The T$$AA is to blame and this is one of the districts that makes me sick! Dickson County will go 8-2 before it is all said and done and will be seated with a high seed. Brighton got destroyed by 6A riverdale and will host a playoff game by only beating Millington (the only other 6A on schedule) T$$AA makes me sick

Riverdale, Smyrna, and Oakland where all looking for games to open season. Riverdale will end up traveling to Brighton and Oakland all the way to Arlington next year to start the season. Those teams came up here this year.

The T$$AA is to blame and this is one of the districts that makes me sick! Dickson County will go 8-2 before it is all said and done and will be seated with a high seed. Brighton got destroyed by 6A riverdale and will host a playoff game by only beating Millington (the only other 6A on schedule) T$$AA makes me sick

Your blunt words are refreshing...I normally have to read my own posts to find a "tell it like it is post" like yours. Congratulations for not attempting to be a sickening politically correct poster like so many try to be. I respect your candor, whether I agree with you or not.

Your blunt words are refreshing...I normally have to read my own posts to find a "tell it like it is post" like yours. Congratulations for not attempting to be a sickening politically correct poster like so many try to be. I respect your candor, whether I agree with you or not.

Sorry I get so fired up. I went on and on about this stuff last year. There is something wrong with a system when you can be seated higher in a class when you play your regular season games in a district that does not allow you to play games in your real class. Last year Dickson Co and Brighton both did not win a 6A game and they were able to host a 6A playoff game. (I think Dickson did win one 6A game Rossview and this was the only 6A on their schedule) It just doesn't make sense. I already look at this year and a Blackman or Oakland in our district or Franklin Brentwood in the other Middle TN district could finish 2nd in their district and have a 7-3 record and a Dickson Co. will finish second and be 8-2. They will come into our Quad and be seeded higher. Makes NO sense.

I disagree w/ you there; having at least played and felt the speed/power of a high level team does benefit you come play-off time, regardless if its played at the beginning, middle, or end of the season. The reason I say this is b/c you do not want the 1st time you play a good team that gives you a competitive game to be in a win or "season ends" sort of scenario. Having already played a game like this gives the coach a better idea of how their team responds in that situation and will be better equipped to make adjustments accordingly. Also, its not such a big shock to the players to deal w/ a team that has equal to or more size/power/speed than they do. This is just my opinion and I am sure others feel similar, not saying I am right or wrong but it IS harsh to say the idea is "foolish".....

Edited by Kevin38

Noticed Melrose lost at Orange Mound to White Station by 50 over the weekend. Kinda sad to see how far they've fallen. I vaguely remember having a discussion where someone emphatically stated that no one would ever put a running clock on Melrose at Orange Mound...I wonder who that could have been? :?:

Melrose lost their starting qb who is one of the best players in the state to a season ending injury. If I'm not mistaking he threw for over 400 yards once maybe twice this season before he got hurt.

I disagree w/ you there; having at least played and felt the speed/power of a high level team does benefit you come play-off time, regardless if its played at the beginning, middle, or end of the season. The reason I say this is b/c you do not want the 1st time you play a good team that gives you a competitive game to be in a win or "season ends" sort of scenario. Having already played a game like this gives the coach a better idea of how their team responds in that situation and will be better equipped to make adjustments accordingly. Also, its not such a big shock to the players to deal w/ a team that has equal to or more size/power/speed than they do. This is just my opinion and I am sure others feel similar, not saying I am right or wrong but it IS harsh to say the idea is "foolish".....

I am simply speaking from decades of experience. The only way I have ever felt like playing tough teams helped for the playoffs was if you played them late in the regular season. The carryover was minimal, if it existed at all. Fans put more stock in it than anyone else, and fans look for an excuse when their team loses...most coaches don't. The better team normally wins, no matter who they played previously...at least that's been my experience.