TSSAA visits Signal Mtn

Rabble Rouser

No one wants to address the timing of all of this. At a AD district meeting on 9/22 the SM AD could have been notified that day. When these so-called few AD’s from other schools brought this to the attention to Bernard Childress, the SM AD was never made aware any issues regarding the kid’s eligibility. If Tommy Lane from SC wanted to do the right thing, he could have notified the SM AD, coach or principal if they had concerns about the kid but they all waited. They did so to make sure SM could not remedy a situation before it was too late. Even with that, at the time this was discussed with Childress, SM had a 4-1 record. Why did they wait two whole weeks before the notified the school. The answer is obvious.

The TSSAA has been looking at SM for two years from bitter folks saying we were recruiting kids and playing ineligible players, but they know that no rules were broken. It’s funny Childress can contact the school within a day to get the SM principal to respond to a 7 on 7 incident this summer, but it takes weeks to let the school know they are investigating this kid.

With all that said, I have been on the mountain before the high school was ever built and have been a supporter of the football program from day one. I hold Coach Price and the SMMHS administration in highest regard. No one knows what he as done for these kids and community more than the folks directly involved with the school. He’s been coaching and teaching for 29 years and believe me, he does not make much money for what he has to endure. Some posters want to compare SM a rogue college football program and “win-at-all costs†but that is not the case. What would be his motive?

It’s not money. He doesn’t make one nickel more for this job than any other coach at any other Hamilton schools. He does not get any additional compensation from a booster club or any additional money for maintaining all three footballs during the summer. I would guess over 95% of his family’s income is derived from teaching 7 periods at SMMHS. As a matter a fact, he and the other SM coaches work for free if SM makes the play-offs. To suggest that he and any other coach or administrator at SM would deliberate cheat is crazy. You could not pay me any amount money to put up with what he deals with being the SMHS football coach.

He has always operated within the rules, and this incident was not an attempt to circumvent any rules. It was a misinterpretation of the transfer rule and it was not his interpretation. It was discussed at length with the principal and AD. It’s funny, if you don’t let kids come to SM on a hardship or NCLB you would be considered an exclusionist or racist. If kids to come up here and they play sports…you’re a cheater. I also know from the beginning, many folks outside the mountain and many folks on the mountain that kids attend or attended private schools have had nothing but negative things to say about the school and athletic programs.

As for the penalties, if the school broke the rule knowingly or not, they should be punished. That is just the way it is. This is tough on the kids, coaches, parents and community. Adversity happens to everybody and you have to deal with it. The kids will deal with it and move on with their lives and do they best they can the last two games.

It’s just sad how this all came down and the timing of the so-called investigation and penalties, This was purposely delayed until after the SM/ND game and all the adults who are suppose to be looking out for the kids…made sure that were SM could not make the play-offs.

Such is life.

You are wrong! Check bill's track record. Ask people in the coaching community treehugger. You are drunk on the koolade. I hope they go back and investigate previous years and strip signal of last years championship.

No one wants to address the timing of all of this. At a AD district meeting on 9/22 the SM AD could have been notified that day. When these so-called few AD’s from other schools brought this to the attention to Bernard Childress, the SM AD was never made aware any issues regarding the kid’s eligibility. If Tommy Lane from SC wanted to do the right thing, he could have notified the SM AD, coach or principal if they had concerns about the kid but they all waited. They did so to make sure SM could not remedy a situation before it was too late. Even with that, at the time this was discussed with Childress, SM had a 4-1 record. Why did they wait two whole weeks before the notified the school. The answer is obvious.

The TSSAA has been looking at SM for two years from bitter folks saying we were recruiting kids and playing ineligible players, but they know that no rules were broken. It’s funny Childress can contact the school within a day to get the SM principal to respond to a 7 on 7 incident this summer, but it takes weeks to let the school know they are investigating this kid.

With all that said, I have been on the mountain before the high school was ever built and have been a supporter of the football program from day one. I hold Coach Price and the SMMHS administration in highest regard. No one knows what he as done for these kids and community more than the folks directly involved with the school. He’s been coaching and teaching for 29 years and believe me, he does not make much money for what he has to endure. Some posters want to compare SM a rogue college football program and “win-at-all costs†but that is not the case. What would be his motive?

It’s not money. He doesn’t make one nickel more for this job than any other coach at any other Hamilton schools. He does not get any additional compensation from a booster club or any additional money for maintaining all three footballs during the summer. I would guess over 95% of his family’s income is derived from teaching 7 periods at SMMHS. As a matter a fact, he and the other SM coaches work for free if SM makes the play-offs. To suggest that he and any other coach or administrator at SM would deliberate cheat is crazy. You could not pay me any amount money to put up with what he deals with being the SMHS football coach.

He has always operated within the rules, and this incident was not an attempt to circumvent any rules. It was a misinterpretation of the transfer rule and it was not his interpretation. It was discussed at length with the principal and AD. It’s funny, if you don’t let kids come to SM on a hardship or NCLB you would be considered an exclusionist or racist. If kids to come up here and they play sports…you’re a cheater. I also know from the beginning, many folks outside the mountain and many folks on the mountain that kids attend or attended private schools have had nothing but negative things to say about the school and athletic programs.

As for the penalties, if the school broke the rule knowingly or not, they should be punished. That is just the way it is. This is tough on the kids, coaches, parents and community. Adversity happens to everybody and you have to deal with it. The kids will deal with it and move on with their lives and do they best they can the last two games.

It’s just sad how this all came down and the timing of the so-called investigation and penalties, This was purposely delayed until after the SM/ND game and all the adults who are suppose to be looking out for the kids…made sure that were SM could not make the play-offs.

Such is life.

yep the timing sucks but you really should stop with the conspiracy theories. It is very unbecoming. I just removed a post with this childs picture in it and I am now requesting that Coach close this thread.

Why not put a face with the kid barb? He's a high school athlete not a free agent. If he's not loyal to a program (he's been associated with 3) that says a lot about him as a player and a person. Go ahead and blast me people I know you will, but the kid's darn near old enough to go to Iraq so he's old enough to make some decisions IMHO

Why not put a face with the kid barb? He's a high school athlete not a free agent. If he's not loyal to a program (he's been associated with 3) that says a lot about him as a player and a person. Go ahead and blast me people I know you will, but the kid's darn near old enough to go to Iraq so he's old enough to make some decisions IMHO

Was the picture just removed?

he is a minor child and posting his picture without his parents expressed written permission could be considered illegal and subject the poster and Coacht to legal action.

Edited by barb