Covington at Obion Co.

VOREBS

Friday night, Covington comes to Troy for a big matchup with Obion Co Central. Both teams are ranked in the polls, and alot of people have had this game circled on the schedule for most or all of the season. Covington is 7-1, while the Rebs, fresh off a bye week are 7-0. Two good football teams, lots of athletes on both sides. Think this will be a good one, but in the end, look for OC to move to 8-0. So...who you got?

GO REBELS!!!!

Side note; Come early, as the OC Baseball team will be having a Fish dinner, prior to the game. tickets will be available at the door. All proceeds go to the Rebels baseball team.

and again.......

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are looking forward to visiting Troy. I hear lots of good stuff about your team this year. This should be a good matchup. Covington's only loss so far is to Brighton, and they are like #20 in 6A football, per Sonny Moore. I think for a team that lost our #1 running back for the season after game 2, we are playing pretty good football.

If you saw Covington when we were playing in the State championship game a couple of times in the last 10 to 12 years, then you have seen this year's team. The similarities are there. Coach Wheeler was an assistant when we were good back then, and has brought back that formula for success. We run the wing-t with several running backs who can take the ball to the house on any given play. Our players are well-conditioned and will play a full 4 quarters of football.

I understand that OC has some talent of their own, particularly with one receiver. Tell me some more about what I can expect to see from your team.

OH, just for added info I have compared the 2 teams on Massey's website:

http://www.highschoolsports.net/massey/matchup/Football/Varsity/Boys/2011/

This shows OC 28 Covington 20.

The Sonny Moore ratngs shows about a 7 point difference in the ratings of the 2 teams. If you add 3 points to OC for homefield advantage, then they are about a 10 point favorite.

I like the underdog role for my team. It means we have to come in hungry and try for the upset.

We are looking forward to visiting Troy. I hear lots of good stuff about your team this year. This should be a good matchup. Covington's only loss so far is to Brighton, and they are like #20 in 6A football, per Sonny Moore. I think for a team that lost our #1 running back for the season after game 2, we are playing pretty good football.

If you saw Covington when we were playing in the State championship game a couple of times in the last 10 to 12 years, then you have seen this year's team. The similarities are there. Coach Wheeler was an assistant when we were good back then, and has brought back that formula for success. We run the wing-t with several running backs who can take the ball to the house on any given play. Our players are well-conditioned and will play a full 4 quarters of football.

I understand that OC has some talent of their own, particularly with one receiver. Tell me some more about what I can expect to see from your team.

That kid is a super good baseball player and I wish only the best for him.

The Rebels are pretty tough. The competition has been lighter than usual within the district, as you already know. Don't be fooled by stats and hype. OC has several good recivers which prevents teams from keying on one player and stopping the offense. The running game has made leaps and bounds from years past. Covington will present the biggest challenge the Rebels have seen this year. Hopefully OC will have a good scheme defensively against the Charger running game. Should be a great night of football and I expect a close game. The Rebel offense is going to score some points. The key will be the Rebel defense and whether they can stop the run, slow down the Charger attack, or cause a turnover or two. Should know a bit more about both teams by the end of this one. Safe travel to Troy and, GO REBELS!!!!!!!!

Good to get this one going early Chargerfan. OC has 4 big time offensive weapons that can house it every play im sure Purple an Gold Standard will give the stats, hes great at that. The Phipps kid at OB can flat spin it an with the up tempo we will test your conditioning. The defense is whats really stepped up from last year not sure about the numbers, but i think there giving up around 14 pts a game. Should be a great game friday night at REBEL FIELD yall have a safe trip to Troy.

Friday night, Covington comes to Troy for a big matchup with Obion Co Central. Both teams are ranked in the polls, and alot of people have had this game circled on the schedule for most or all of the season. Covington is 7-1, while the Rebs, fresh off a bye week are 7-0. Two good football teams, lots of athletes on both sides. Think this will be a good one, but in the end, look for OC to move to 8-0. So...who you got?

GO REBELS!!!!

Side note; Come early, as the OC Baseball team will be having a Fish dinner, prior to the game. tickets will be available at the door. All proceeds go to the Rebels baseball team.

and again.......

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!

This game will be well worth going to see!Should be a barn burner! Good luck to both teams!

Its the game we have this week. So with that said its the biggest game of the season Because its the next game. These coaches and players look at one thing and That's preparing for the next opponent, one game is no more or less important.

Coach-speak..For coaches

The question was asked...Is this the biggest game in the 50 years of Rebel football ??...I'm not a die-hard...I can't remember if there has ever been a time when BOTH the teams playing on Rebel Field were ranked this late in the season...Maybe the very first game the Rebels ever played could be counted as the most important...Maybe the first bowl game then the first bowl game win could be...Maybe the first win over Union City could be...Maybe the first playoff game played could be then the first home playoff game played then the first playoff win...Those were all big games in the history of the program...This is certainly a big game and a very important one for the program...

reelfoot...how would ur team match up with chester county and lexington after seeing them play friday night???

Well after watching them friday night in person, i feel we match up really well against both teams. CC looks like the better team on the hoof, but Lexington plays better team ball as far as executing there schemes. I feel OC would beat CC by at least 14 an LHS by 10, you asked an i told you my honest opinion there it is let the arguing began. It was a great game, we enjoyed every minute of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!