Covington @ Milan

CHARGERFAN

First, allow me to congratulate you on your recent ecclesiastical promotion. Sainthood is beyond the reach of most of us.

I understand that you think Covington is coming over to Johnny Hale Stadium and putting a 28 point defeat on the Bulldogs on Friday. Some facts:

1. Covington has won 3 games by 28 or more points this season, beating Bolton, Haywood, and Gibson County, teams that are not exactly Milanesque. In fact, these 3 teams have won a total of ....2 games this season.

2. It's been 29 years (1982 since anyone beat Milan by 28 points, at home or on the road.

3. Every year we see this kind of thing happen; its inevitable and I think it is good for football: a school which has been down comes up with a good team (and Covington IS talented) and a bandwagon effect occurs. Will we see the team that put 36 on Obion Central in the second half or the team that was held scoreless by Dyersburg for 3 quarters and was limited to 7 points for nearly a half by Obion Central?

In short, Covington hasn't been in the chase this year long enough to know just what kind of team you have.

I've seen Covington play twice, once in person and once on tape. I've seen Milan play 2 times (Huntingdon and

Westview) and also in a preseason scrimmage against Mayfield. I think Milan by 7 to 10 points. For whatever it is worth, 90% of those entering the "Big Ones" also picked Milan.

Sometimes in our exuberance, we can allow one part of our bodies to overload another.

Hi Augielio - I met you at Dyersburg several years ago after we had traded info on Coach T a few times. I am not the guy who is predicting a 28-point Covington victory. I agree with you and I think we are definite underdogs here.

But I will correct one thing. Milan lost by 28 to Covington at their place in 2004. If you look at post #16 in this thread, you will see that I referenced that as our lone victory over Milan in the last 5 games. I checked two sources for that result, including another high school football website. Not saying it will happen this year, but it did happen once.

Good to talk to a reasonable poster on here. They are few and far between sometimes.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Augielio - I met you at Dyersburg several years ago after we had traded info on Coach T a few times. I am not the guy who is predicting a 28-point Covington victory. I agree with you and I think we are definite underdogs here.

But I will correct one thing. Milan lost by 28 to Covington at their place in 2004. If you look at post #16 in this thread, you will see that I referenced that as our lone victory over Milan in the last 5 games. I checked two sources for that result, including another high school football website. Not saying it will happen this year, but it did happen once.

Good to talk to a reasonable poster on here. They are few and far between sometimes.

I stand both humbled and corrected. That score was 35 ro 7,

I have watched covington play and i was impressed with the RBs.There offensive line is very small it will be interesting to see how they stack up against the Bulldogs. They have given up a lot of points and rely on a bend but don't break defense. I think they will have a tough time stopping Milan running right at them.

Still think Covington will win. Not that I think Cov is that good of a team, just don't think Milan is nearly as good as usual. Covington wins by 14 to 28 points. Going to witness the Haywood massacre by OC. Would some of you Milan/Covington fans keep coacht updated on the score tonight. Good luck to both teams.

Sounds like a barnburner. Just got a text, Milan 28 Cov 26 in the 4th. At Haywood, Tomcats 0 Obion 56. Covington you guys need to get you a radio broadcast. Tried to pick up your game on the Covington US 51 station, they're broadcasting Brighton vs Cordova(what's that a 7-1 playing a 3-5)last week turned on, it was Munford 2-6 playing a less than .500 team. Last week they passed on Covington 6-1 playing an undefeated Obion County team. And this week (7-1) Milan and (7-1) Covington, two one loss teams. Sounds to me whoever is managing the station has little sports sense and absolutely no business sense.

Edited by StBentley

Sounds like a barnburner. Just got a text, Milan 28 Cov 26 in the 4th. At Haywood, Tomcats 0 Obion 56. Covington you guys need to get you a radio broadcast. Tried to pick up your game on the Covington US 51 station, they're broadcasting Brighton vs Cordova(what's that a 7-1 playing a 3-5)last week turned on, it was Munford 2-6 playing a less than .500 team. Last week they passed on Covington 6-1 playing an undefeated Obion County team. And this week (7-1) Milan and (7-1) Covington, two one loss teams. Sounds to me whoever is managing the station has little sports sense and absolutely no business sense.

Final Milan 28 Cov 26

Obion County 56 Haywood 0 (feels like a misprint, gonna have to get used to this)

Dyersburg 58 Ripley 12

Westview 49 Gibson County 0 (why do they play fb)

Crockett Co 29 South Gibson 28

Man, what a game!! I knew it could be close but that was real close. Covington was very physical tonight and the Bulldogs responded to it good. Our offense ran hard tonight and we chewed some minutes off the clock a couple of times. I hate the controversy on the 2 pt. conversion but the right call was ultimately made. Everybody that was close and replays show him down at the 2 yard line and then he jumped and stretched across the goal. The officials sure get a black eye on calls like that.

Good Luck to the Chargers down the road!!

Milan, finish strong next week and get ready for some playoff fun.