Macon Co. @ The Rockpile(Westmoreland)

Mr. Postman1

How long has Westmoreland been called the "Rockpile"? Why?? Never heard that before.

The story I've heard behind the name probably started around the late 70's. Many local football fans remember the 1977 Westmoreland football team being referred to as the "Wild Bunch". They were ranked by many of the state papers as to have the #1 defensive team in the state. They lost in the Semi-finals to Lake county 9-7 that season. This was the first team in Westmoreland school history to have an undefeated 10-0rec The Rockpile name was said to have come from these folks when Portland came up for a scrimmage during a summer practice. The Westmoreland field at that time was said to have had many rocks on it and would make it hard on the folks getting tackled on the field. Portland reportedly walked the field before the game and threw rocks off the field. After hearing of this event, the "Wild Bunch" was said to have walked and threw the rocks back onto the field to signify how hard it was going to be on the Portland boys when they would be tackled on the rock infested turf. Its kind of an attitude some of the ole timers that played for Westmoreland that year wanted the next generation to have up here. I hope that story helps about the name.

The story I've heard behind the name probably started around the late 70's. Many local football fans remember the 1977 Westmoreland football team being referred to as the "Wild Bunch". They were ranked by many of the state papers as to have the #1 defensive team in the state. They lost in the Semi-finals to Lake county 9-7 that season. This was the first team in Westmoreland school history to have an undefeated 10-0rec The Rockpile name was said to have come from these folks when Portland came up for a scrimmage during a summer practice. The Westmoreland field at that time was said to have had many rocks on it and would make it hard on the folks getting tackled on the field. Portland reportedly walked the field before the game and threw rocks off the field. After hearing of this event, the "Wild Bunch" was said to have walked and threw the rocks back onto the field to signify how hard it was going to be on the Portland boys when they would be tackled on the rock infested turf. Its kind of an attitude some of the ole timers that played for Westmoreland that year wanted the next generation to have up here. I hope that story helps about the name.

Nice little story

Seems the general consensus of most Macon Co. fans, is Macon is out of Westmoreland's league. I guess when you have a super Wal-Mart and twice as many kids you should be out of the other teams league right?

It has nothing to do with that. I just think that most people agree that if MC plays up to their potential then they should win.

From what I'm hearing Kingston will have a fine coach next year. It makes since though. I hear that county pays bigger bucks than Macon Co. for a good head coach.

ok here stamp licker. for staters i now for a fact jack coach p. ant going no where.you sung this same tune last year and in the end it's gonna be the same results,macon wins again.it don't matter what he gets paid,building the football program to 95% of macon county fans is priceless.your more worried about macon's coach than the problem at hand and that is another loss to macon county tigers. like i said "PRICELESS" STAMPLICKER! the coach is here for the long haul.get use to it or i'll bring you a tissue to the game friday.your baby humming birds might win but the coach is here to stay and everyone that wants to cry about it can just keep crying.i say give him a raise,especially after this friday night.stamplicker

Edited by bigstick12
  • Upvote 1