Is Farragut REALLY cheating?

bigbluevolley

Click link and read the comments under the link. Too bad if this is true. The girl may not have helped them but if she played for one second and is illegal then they should be delt with accordingly. I really don't see this as sour grapes but see it as "what are we telling our kids". If this is true we are telling them it's ok to lie and cheat as long as you don't get caught. Not saying this is true because I have no idea who this girl is or anything about the situation.Pretty interesting though.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/oct/20/farragut-has-to-earn-sweep-for-state-berth/

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheating, yes. Illegal by TSSAA standards, no.

Certain schools will do unethical things for a win. I think that is cheating. These aren't prohibited by TSSAA thus they get away with it. I think there is a "charachter" "integrity" elemeny that has to come into play.

Is it wrong to lie about stats?

Is it wrong to recruit?

Is it wrong to play players from out of zone?

No question, it is wrong. These are not the lessons we want to teach our daughters.

Is it illegal?

We have become a culture of grey, as opposed to black or white.

These parents, coaches, and AD's are the ones that have to sleep at night, and look themselves in the mirror.

Do I agree with it? That is my decision. Do I want my daughter to learn these lessons? No.

Some people believe that winning is more important than integrity. That is not something that TSSAA will get involved.

It is what it is. Farragut as a team, coaching staff, and school chose to follow that path. Let it go. Cheer for them, or against them. They played within the rules. They think it is ok. Let it go.

Since there are so many things going on about transfers and geneerally things not known,i.e., Signal High School, Memphis High school players crossing State line into Mississippi, Perry County, and likely many others, a lot of the state is in a learn as you go about a lot of these things. Things such as hardship rules are allowed. Districts are allowed to do things that many of us know nothing about and for that matter don't really care. Waivers have made some things allowable by the TSSAA or the Adminsitration that was done because to them it was the right thing to do for a volleyball player.

This is a local matter that deals with a District Education office in Knoxville so I understand,and their Supt. of Education in that Office. They knew it happened, as I am reading into K2's psot and the Administration at the school knew it happened. If it was outside the TSSAA rules which schools sign to comply with, then the school was wrong. This still is a sore that is festering to the associated Districts. I'm not sure the rest of us care. But if it happened in my District, someone would sit down with the Principal or in the District office to not send anyone to jail, but to see how the mistake was made. Humans inadvertantly make mistakes.

THE MISTAKE WAS NOT ILLEGAL BUT IT WAS UNETHICAL is a viewpoint. One thing is for sure, a parent will try every way in the world to make a child comfortable in their school environment. With all that has been made of this situation, someone does owe those interested an explanation as to what happened. K2 found out and her judgement can be read above. Transfer rules are complicated aand the thing that might be of concern, is not the mistake but what keeps it from happening again. K2 thought the student could move to the school evidently when the students parents tried the third time.Looking on a web site of the District, a note has been added to some web sites saying there is a 411 tips number that has just been enacted by the district office which allows anyone who thinks anything is going on in their school can call the number and explain the situation and have the District Office explain the situation. It goes in effect this week. I saw it on the HV web site. Maybe that will help. K2's judgement was to let it drop.

OK..Since k2ruth said to drop it then I guess that means drop it. AHHHH I don't think so. Once again the silence from the admiral fans on this is very interesting. Don't try to say they are watching their team in the tournament and that's why they aren't saying anything. This post has been up for a while. The last time we questioned Farragut ethics about their setters assist you see what happened. All of a sudden she started getting 28,31 25 assist. A far cry from averaging 60 prior to the question of blowing up stats. So my guess is they are guilty again! BTW Phargis..Unless you know K2Ruth personally don't say "she" when you are referring to K2Ruth.

The player in question is a Freshman who is not a contributor on the varsity team. The administration and coaches have dotted their i's and crossed their t's regarding this issue. This is not cheating and/or unethical. It is, in fact, well within the rules. That is all I have to say.

With all due respect to the Admiral. I have to say from what I have read and heard throughout the last week it's not about "the girl is not a contributor". It is about 2 things.

1. Is she zoned for FHS? The answer to that is a definite NO. You know that and the whole FHS volleyball family knows that including the administration. Now you can spin it any way you want, but the bottom line is, her family applied twice for a transfer both of which were denied then the family gave her aunts address as her permanent address (which is false). Is the aunt claiming her on her taxes?? NO!!I don't blame you though for holding strong to the company line. I know you as a good guy so you don't have to answer any more.

2. Did she play one second of any varsity game? The answer to that is YES. She played in regular season games and tournament games. Did she help FHS? Who cares!!! She played as an illegal player therefore the administration and coaches knowingly lied. I can tell you that the Principle probably didn't know about this until the crap hit the fan so he wasn't a part of the "original lie". When he learned about it he chose to jump in head first and continue the lie. That's so sad for him.

What we are teaching these young girls at FHS is that lying and cheating in order to get what you want is ok. What a terrible lesson the educators at FHS are teaching your girls. I know that the seniors on this team are caught in the middle of this charade and I feel bad for them. I know they wish this never happened, because as you said "she did not contribute to the varsity wins". Wonder if her dad would agree that she didn't contribute??

bigblue you're making a lot of assumptions based on something you know very little to nothing about and you need to stop. An anonymous comment or comments posted below an online local news story by a bunch of sore losers is not a credible source. You're typically a good poster but your propensity to take a non issue and run it in to the ground is downright annoying, remember the stat scandal that you fueled? Grow up.

The facts are the facts. I hate to say it, but EVERYONE knows what happened. It all came from the horses mouth. I am sorry that this has come out. As I said before this has nothing to do with you and for the most part all of the other FHS parents, players and relatives. I know you feel compelled to tow the company line but if you knew the truth I don't think you would be towing the line. I say that because I know how you are. Your administration and coach have put you in such a bad position that you are defending and don't know the true facts. Unfortunatley there are MANY MANY people that know the truth because as I said . They have heard it straight from the horse's mouth. Oh, and about those setters stats. They are back to normal now, ever since the question was posted. Must be coincidental!!! Probably NOT!!!!

Just curious: This isn't truly a 'transfer' is it? From what I can gather from all the comments here, this student never attended HV, right?

MWT..You are correct. This is not a true "transfer". Student is zoned for HVA, applied twice to be able to enroll at FHS. Was denied both times and the parents used aunts address (zoned FHS) as students residence. These are not assumptions. I repeat NOT assumptions.