TSSAA playoff tiebreaker

crawdad

Tennessee High has a chance to get to 5-5 with a win over Volunteer this week and move into the field of 32 if they finish high enough in the tiebreaker column: # of teams on the schedule who won 50% or more of their games. The problem as I see it is Virginia High who sits at 4-4 does not finish their season until next week when they play Lee High. If Virginia High does not get that 5th win against Lebanon this week, how does TSSAA decide on Tennessee High's number in this all important column? Has this scenario already been addressed and I've missed it? How can the playoffs be announced Saturday when a team in the mix does not have complete numbers in?

Tennessee High has a chance to get to 5-5 with a win over Volunteer this week and move into the field of 32 if they finish high enough in the tiebreaker column: # of teams on the schedule who won 50% or more of their games. The problem as I see it is Virginia High who sits at 4-4 does not finish their season until next week when they play Lee High. If Virginia High does not get that 5th win against Lebanon this week, how does TSSAA decide on Tennessee High's number in this all important column? Has this scenario already been addressed and I've missed it? How can the playoffs be announced Saturday when a team in the mix does not have complete numbers in?

The problem you mention is not the "foremost dilemma" that the Tennessee High Vikings face. The Vikings "foremost dilemma" is that the Vikings play a mediocre schedule and only manage to be playing for a .500 record! Yes..Dobyns Bennett and Science Hill are good teams...yet losses to Sully South, Virginia High, and Jefferson County are likely to keep the Vikings out of the postseason. Now..if the "dilemma" was whether a lesser team would get the higher seed due to winning their district, a team in the Western part of the State getting in and bumping Tennessee into another quad...these would be dilemmas. The fact that they aren't competitive enough to quailfy on their own merit (to me) does not constitute a dilemma.

The problem you mention is not the "foremost dilemma" that the Tennessee High Vikings face. The Vikings "foremost dilemma" is that the Vikings play a mediocre schedule and only manage to be playing for a .500 record! Yes..Dobyns Bennett and Science Hill are good teams...yet losses to Sully South, Virginia High, and Jefferson County are likely to keep the Vikings out of the postseason. Now..if the "dilemma" was whether a lesser team would get the higher seed due to winning their district, a team in the Western part of the State getting in and bumping Tennessee into another quad...these would be dilemmas. The fact that they aren't competitive enough to quailfy on their own merit (to me) does not constitute a dilemma.

Teams with a 5-5 record will be in. Some 5-5 teams will be out. TSSAA has set up a system to decide who is in and who is out. If the data is imcomplete when selection Saturday takes place that is a dilemma. Because Henry Co.is 10-0 you seem to only be focused on the big picture of top seeds. For the programs struggling to get in the mix or advance as far as possible in order to feel good about their season heading into the off-season it is a dilemma. Whether they are in or out may affect whether my team hosts a playoff game and or whether Powell gets moved east into quad 1. That is certainly of interest to me. At the same time I can understand why you wouldn't care. The whole point was if this particular opponent gets their 5th win Tennessee High would qualify on their own merit.

Teams with a 5-5 record will be in. Some 5-5 teams will be out. TSSAA has set up a system to decide who is in and who is out. If the data is imcomplete when selection Saturday takes place that is a dilemma. Because Henry Co.is 10-0 you seem to only be focused on the big picture of top seeds. For the programs struggling to get in the mix or advance as far as possible in order to feel good about their season heading into the off-season it is a dilemma. Whether they are in or out may affect whether my team hosts a playoff game and or whether Powell gets moved east into quad 1. That is certainly of interest to me. At the same time I can understand why you wouldn't care. The whole point was if this particular opponent gets their 5th win Tennessee High would qualify on their own merit.

In the "big picture" this situation you bring up is "more of a dilemma" to your team and Powell than it is Tennessee High. The "dilemma" as you say that Tennessee High is in...came about by their inability to win games against "average teams"..which makes Tennessee High..also average. In the future...Tennessee High can avoid "dilemmas" by playing better on Friday nights. That was my only point as related to the Vikings. CERTAINLY..it poses more of an issue to your Sullivan South Rebs..as well as Powell and others in the Quad. However..I do have a hard time calling which 5-5 team gets in a "dilemma" since basically every team that has matching helmets gets into the postseason!

They could settle it all by going back to the old system.Right now,it's set up so a team has to think about playing really weak teams in VA or another state to build wins.If TH beats Volunteer,Central,Crockett and Three VA. cupcakes{they are nearly in every year},A win over Boone or South would just add to their seeding.Tennessee High or any other team doesn't really wasnt to do that,but it's the system we have in place.Let the 5A and 6A schools go back where they need to be and if they play during the regular season,it will just be for pride and gate money.

In the "big picture" this situation you bring up is "more of a dilemma" to your team and Powell than it is Tennessee High. The "dilemma" as you say that Tennessee High is in...came about by their inability to win games against "average teams"..which makes Tennessee High..also average. In the future...Tennessee High can avoid "dilemmas" by playing better on Friday nights. That was my only point as related to the Vikings. CERTAINLY..it poses more of an issue to your Sullivan South Rebs..as well as Powell and others in the Quad. However..I do have a hard time calling which 5-5 team gets in a "dilemma" since basically every team that has matching helmets gets into the postseason!

LOL QB. Why didn't you just point out I had chosen an inappropriate word. Dilemma is incorrect. If I edit to "pending playoff status",would that appease you? I can agree that 32 out of 58 may be too many playoff teams, but TSSAA set the guidelines. Still yet, you might see differently if your Patriots were 5-4 now. Yes I know, but they're not.

My money is on them counting VHS as long as they beat Lebanon Friday. If they lose the TSSAA won't count them regardless if they play another game.

If Tennessee beat VHS like they should've, they wouldn't be in this mess right now. I don't look for TSSAA to continue with this z-plan past 2012 anyway. If they do, THS needs to find a way to rekindle their rivalries with Sullivan East and John Battle. :cry:

Jeff County really imploded this year for some reason. Judging them when they played Tennessee, they were the 3rd best team on the Vikings schedule after DB and Science Hill. Heard they had several injuries and there were also couple of deaths that affected the team.

Edited by THSVikings2004

This is a tough situation, but it will be a moot point come week 2 of the playoffs, Tennessee High is having a down year. Even if they do get in, they'll be matched up against Powell, Morristown West, or Knox West in the 1st round. I don't see any of those as a favorable matchup for the Vikings. A lot of fuss is made about the last few in and the last few left out, but the fact is that none of the last few teams that will be left out will make a serious run if they were to get in. The playoffs are in place to determine the best team in the state and the best team will win the state championship regardless of how the bracket is set up.

Edited by motownanddown

My money is on them counting VHS as long as they beat Lebanon Friday. If they lose the TSSAA won't count them regardless if they play another game.

If Tennessee beat VHS like they should've, they wouldn't be in this mess right now. I don't look for TSSAA to continue with this z-plan past 2012 anyway. If they do, THS needs to find a way to rekindle their rivalries with Sullivan East and John Battle. :cry:

Jeff County really imploded this year for some reason. Judging them when they played Tennessee, they were the 3rd best team on the Vikings schedule after DB and Science Hill. Heard they had several injuries and there were also couple of deaths that affected the team.

Thanks for weighing in 04. I was thinking of you Vikings when this was brought to my attention today. I had not seen any reference to it and thought that the Virginia teams finished up when the Tennessee schools did. For the kids that play the game a chance to finish .500 and not be labeled or remembered as "loser" is a big deal. For a program to say they made the playoffs so many years in a row is still important. Not everyone can be top tier every year. It's all relative.

I'd say you are right about the way TSSAA is going to deal with it though. If that last game is still in play to make Tennessee High an eligible playoff team though, TSSAA should at least flip a coin for win/loss. That would at least provide for a deserving playoff record.

This is a tough situation, but it will be a moot point come week 2 of the playoffs, Tennessee High is having a down year. Even if they do get in, they'll be matched up against Powell, Morristown West, or Knox West in the 1st round. I don't see any of those as a favorable matchup for the Vikings. A lot of fuss is made about the last few in and the last few left out, but the fact is that none of the last few teams that will be left out will make a serious run if they were to get in. The playoffs are in place to determine the best team in the state and the best team will win the state championship regardless of how the bracket is set up.

You're a good one to ask motownanddown...would you rather have Knox West and Powell in quad 1 or just one of the aforementioned? If you could choose of course.

LOL QB. Why didn't you just point out I had chosen an inappropriate word. Dilemma is incorrect. If I edit to "pending playoff status",would that appease you? I can agree that 32 out of 58 may be too many playoff teams, but TSSAA set the guidelines. Still yet, you might see differently if your Patriots were 5-4 now. Yes I know, but they're not.

If my Patriots were 5-4...I would either be accepting of the fact that we are "poor" talent wise...or praying that nobody gets injured as we prepare ourselves for our "opening round butt-kicking" that we would be about to receive! (both of which I have experienced) Nonetheless...the "dilemma" you say that the Vikings face actually has more significance to other teams in the playoffs than it does Tennessee High.

You're a good one to ask motownanddown...would you rather have Knox West and Powell in quad 1 or just one of the aforementioned? If you could choose of course.

Tough call, it would definitely make it easier on Mo West if it was just 1 of them, but my Trojans are notorious for getting complacent in games they are favorites in, seeing Mo East or Sullivan South in the 2nd round could be dangerous whereas, facing Knox West would guarantee they show up ready to play.