Play Off Bracket

rollbigred1

So you're picking MUS over BGA without having seen BGA play. What's the difference? Before you go getting your panties in a wad, let's see BGA beat McCallie first. Enjoy your bye week. Nobody from the Middle/East is trying to disrespect MUS. You have a first class program and we all are aware of it.

Owlbooster is trying to pick a fight here. Since he/she has been on their West TN island, they will now get to experience the best of DII. I respect MUS, and their losses have come against S Panola, Olive Branch, and Ensworth. They should beat BGA (it will be close), then get taking to the woodshed by Ensworth, who has gotten better. I'm sure MUS has improved too, but they will not defeat Ensworth. No way...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owlbooster is trying to pick a fight here. Since he/she has been on their West TN island, they will now get to experience the best of DII. I respect MUS, and their losses have come against S Panola, Olive Branch, and Ensworth. They should beat BGA (it will be close), then get taking to the woodshed by Ensworth, who has gotten better. I'm sure MUS has improved too, but they will not defeat Ensworth. No way...

No, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm not trying to make it a respect/disrespect issue, and my panties are not wadding up, etcetcetc. I am truly curious to see how and why midstaters "pick" this game between a W #1 MUS and a M/E #4 BGA, who does have a quality win over Smyrna. Historically midstaters usually go with the local team "just because the Midstate teams are better," which is almost always true. Nonetheless, MUS does have 4 gold balls in the last 7 years. So Ensworth takes MUS "to the woodshed," if the Owls get that far. It's possible. But the Baylor game shows they can be beaten. At least you think the Owls can squeak by BGA.

So you're picking MUS over BGA without having seen BGA play. What's the difference? Before you go getting your panties in a wad, let's see BGA beat McCallie first. Enjoy your bye week. Nobody from the Middle/East is trying to disrespect MUS. You have a first class program and we all are aware of it.

Read what I said again without the "attitude." SafeT said he had seen both MUS and BGA play in person, so I assumed he is an Ensworth supporter and had come to Memphis for the EHS-MUS game. I preferred he had stated some reasons for picking BGA, e.g., "don't think MUS D can contain Beathard." If it's just a "gut reaction" then fine. My point was that game had such a TO disparity it was not a good yardstick for judging MUS, unless they do it on a regular basis, which of course they don't. Any team that has 6 more TOs than the opponent is almost always going to lose.

BTW, I never said I hadn't seen BGA play, but it was only one game on the internet in which BA handled them pretty easily.

Read what I said again without the "attitude." SafeT said he had seen both MUS and BGA play in person, so I assumed he is an Ensworth supporter and had come to Memphis for the EHS-MUS game. I preferred he had stated some reasons for picking BGA, e.g., "don't think MUS D can contain Beathard." If it's just a "gut reaction" then fine. My point was that game had such a TO disparity it was not a good yardstick for judging MUS, unless they do it on a regular basis, which of course they don't. Any team that has 6 more TOs than the opponent is almost always going to lose.

BTW, I never said I hadn't seen BGA play, but it was only one game on the internet in which BA handled them pretty easily.

Fair enough owlbooster. A potential MUS/BGA match up is intriguing to me because the two teams have not yet played in the CJ Bethard era. BGA went to Memphis last year as a underdog and executed a very good game plan against a heavily favored #1 seed in CBHS. Personally, I have not seen any of the DII-AA teams from the west play this year and I don't ever speculate on a team I have not seen play with my own eyes based on scores from previous games, past seasons or common opponents. While BGA has not faired well against the big three out of the Middle/East, they have yet to put together a great game against a great opponent either. If MUS has a big offensive line and a couple of backs who can run like deer, then if BGA is fortunate enough to get by McCallie, and I stress that is a big IF, then I suspect you are right that MUS will be playing Ensworth again on November 18.

Edited by repo

Fair enough owlbooster. A potential MUS/BGA match up is intriguing to me because the two teams have not yet played in the CJ Bethard era. BGA went to Memphis last year as a underdog and executed a very good game plan against a heavily favored #1 seed in CBHS. Personally, I have not seen any of the DII-AA teams from the west play this year and I don't ever speculate on a team I have not seen play with my own eyes based on scores from previous games, past seasons or common opponents. While BGA has not faired well against the big three out of the Middle/East, they have yet to put together a great game against a great opponent either. If MUS has a big offensive line and a couple of backs who can run like deer, then if BGA is fortunate enough to get by McCallie, and I stress that is a big IF, then I suspect you are right that MUS will be playing Ensworth again on November 18.

MUS does have a BIG offensive line (albeit a bit slow)and 3 excellent RBs (Tucker, VanHook & McCord). Their only weakness is passing offense. Toby Baker, the QB and a Mr Football nominee last year, has been inconsistent and downright bad at times. He was better last year. He only has one good receiver, a 10th grader named Devin Perry, who may be a future D1 player. Unless Beathard has a "career night" and BGA simply outscores the Owls, it may be a long ride back to Nashville. This has been the worst year in recent memory for MUS TOs.

A big differential there (as in the EHS game) can turn it for BGA. If MUS plays the way they did last week against Briarcrest (4 TOs, stupid penalties, etc) then BGA will win.

MUS does have a BIG offensive line (albeit a bit slow)and 3 excellent RBs (Tucker, VanHook & McCord). Their only weakness is passing offense. Toby Baker, the QB and a Mr Football nominee last year, has been inconsistent and downright bad at times. He was better last year. He only has one good receiver, a 10th grader named Devin Perry, who may be a future D1 player. Unless Beathard has a "career night" and BGA simply outscores the Owls, it may be a long ride back to Nashville. This has been the worst year in recent memory for MUS TOs.

A big differential there (as in the EHS game) can turn it for BGA. If MUS plays the way they did last week against Briarcrest (4 TOs, stupid penalties, etc) then BGA will win.

I hope BGA can beat McCallie this Friday night. If not, best of luck to the Owls!

WHAT specifically does he finds "intriguing" about that particular match-up. I am curious to know exactly what this apparent Mid-Stater thinks. "Intriguing" tells me nada.

Why it's intriguing to me: because BGA has the ability to score on deep passes and I'm curious as to how they would do against MUS' strong defense. BGA lost to three great teams, but so did MUS: 9-1 Ensworth, 10-0 Olive Branch, and 7-3 South Panola.

MUS had a stretch this year where they allowed just three points total in the span of four games. BGA has scored 14 or more points in all but one game this year. That, to me, is an intriguing matchup.

And, yes, I live in the greater Nashville area, so that would make me a Mid-Stater.

No, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm not trying to make it a respect/disrespect issue, and my panties are not wadding up, etcetcetc. I am truly curious to see how and why midstaters "pick" this game between a W #1 MUS and a M/E #4 BGA, who does have a quality win over Smyrna. Historically midstaters usually go with the local team "just because the Midstate teams are better," which is almost always true. Nonetheless, MUS does have 4 gold balls in the last 7 years. So Ensworth takes MUS "to the woodshed," if the Owls get that far. It's possible. But the Baylor game shows they can be beaten. At least you think the Owls can squeak by BGA.

You are right....Enworth was beaten soundly by Baylor.....41-14. The playoffs will be exciting and I can't wait. Go MBA!

Why it's intriguing to me: because BGA has the ability to score on deep passes and I'm curious as to how they would do against MUS' strong defense. BGA lost to three great teams, but so did MUS: 9-1 Ensworth, 10-0 Olive Branch, and 7-3 South Panola.

MUS had a stretch this year where they allowed just three points total in the span of four games. BGA has scored 14 or more points in all but one game this year. That, to me, is an intriguing matchup.

And, yes, I live in the greater Nashville area, so that would make me a Mid-Stater.

Thank you so much for your reply!