Greeneville Vs. Scott County

DevilMan03

Who wins?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Greeneville?
    • Scott County?

Batie, I'm not tryin' to get personal here, heck I never even mentioned you by screen name. I was referencing a post you made. I don't have any hate for the devils but I feel I should address a couple things from your post I have quoted. First, let me clear something up, I am not a Maryville or an Alcoa faithful supporter. I do respect what they have built & what they are continuing to do. Second, I know what you posted, I quoted it. While I can't speak for what you intended it to come across as I can state as to how it came across to me. When the statement "just like Alcoa & Maryville programs" is made, well, it's a pretty hefty comment & should be expected to draw attention. I hope GHS is well on their way to building a dynasty. It would only be good for Tennessee football to have another power, especially from the east. Third, You did not say GHS was a dynasty. Did I say you did? Maybe I'm not typing slowly enough now (reference to an earlier sarcastic comment made). Lastly, as for making me feel better, while I appreciate your concern for my feelings I think it is unwarranted. My feelings are fine & believe me it would take far more than a random post from a faceless screen name in a far away city to really affect my "feelings" one way or another :flower: I'll say it again & for the last time on this thread. Best of luck to GHS & SHS this Friday :thumb:

Fair enough

Batie, I'm not tryin' to get personal here, heck I never even mentioned you by screen name. I was referencing a post you made. I don't have any hate for the devils but I feel I should address a couple things from your post I have quoted. First, let me clear something up, I am not a Maryville or an Alcoa faithful supporter. I do respect what they have built & what they are continuing to do. Second, I know what you posted, I quoted it. While I can't speak for what you intended it to come across as I can state as to how it came across to me. When the statement "just like Alcoa & Maryville programs" is made, well, it's a pretty hefty comment & should be expected to draw attention. I hope GHS is well on their way to building a dynasty. It would only be good for Tennessee football to have another power, especially from the east. Third, You did not say GHS was a dynasty. Did I say you did? Maybe I'm not typing slowly enough now (reference to an earlier sarcastic comment made). Lastly, as for making me feel better, while I appreciate your concern for my feelings I think it is unwarranted. My feelings are fine & believe me it would take far more than a random post from a faceless screen name in a far away city to really affect my "feelings" one way or another :flower: I'll say it again & for the last time on this thread. Best of luck to GHS & SHS this Friday :thumb:

Now if we're splitting hairs, there are several similarities between Alcoa/Maryvlle and Greeneville. First, We all won 2010 State Championships.All have a very generous enrollment policies. Greeneville is currently coached by a former Maryvile assistant.

All seem to find it increasingly more difficult scheduling non-conference games. All consistantly dominate their district. I have to side with the Batman, the first 6-4 season/conference loss(although less likely) Greeneville suffers, the fans are going to be distraught. The last losing season Greeneville had cost a good man his job.

Now if we're splitting hairs, there are several similarities between Alcoa/Maryvlle and Greeneville. First, We all won 2010 State Championships.All have a very generous enrollment policies. Greeneville is currently coached by a former Maryvile assistant.

All seem to find it increasingly more difficult scheduling non-conference games. All consistantly dominate their district. I have to side with the Batman, the first 6-4 season/conference loss(although less likely) Greeneville suffers, the fans are going to be distraught. The last losing season Greeneville had cost a good man his job.

Throwing a little more fuel for the last two years.Greeneville is 1-0 against Alcoa.Maryville is 1-1 against Alcoa,and ALCOA IS 1-2 against Greeneville and Maryville.Maryville has a runner up and a 2 point championship win last year.Greeneville has a runner up and a state scoring "record breaking" season and championship last year.I may have to disagree with myself and say Greeneville is a dynasty :roflol: All kidding aside,if Greeneville never wins another game,they have done the city,county and whole NET area a great honor with the last couple of years.

Edited by BatmanDB

Well I'm not one for splitting hairs but I am for talking brass tacks. So here's a little fuel for that proverbial fire. Let's look at the last decade shall we.

Alcoa:

2001-semi's

2002-missed play off's

2003-semi's

2004-gold

2005-gold

2006-gold

2007-gold

2008-gold

2009-gold

2010-gold

2011-????

Maryville:

2001-gold

2002-gold

2003-semi's

2004-gold

2005-gold

2006-gold

2007-gold

2008-finals

2009-finals

2010-gold

2011-????

Greeneville:

2001-round 2

2002-round 3

2003-round 3

2004-round 1

2005-missed play off's

2006-missed play off's

2007-round 3

2008-semi's

2009-finals

2010-gold

2011-????

Now I suspect all 3 will add gold to the 2011 line as well but that's 5 games away so who knows. I think when it's laid out in front of anyone the comparison is not that close & the true magnitude of what both Alcoa & Maryville have been able to achieve is evident. Now I know the last couple of comparisons are more "tongue in cheek" type of posts but here are the numbers. Like I said, I hope Greeneville is on their way but really. . .? I will agree that Greenevillians should be very proud of what that program has accomplished & where they are going. Getting gold is a very hard task to complete, getting a chance 2 years in a row is awesome, 3 years is extraordinary if they can get there & I see no reason they can't. But when you produce a decade of football like Alcoa & Maryville, well, that is almost beyond belief. I hope GHS has these kind of results to talk about a decade from now.

Edited by downanddistance

Broderick Gillespie is helping with Scott Co. He played back in the late 90's early 2000's. I think Duncan helped him get a job there while Duncan was coaching basketball there. Broderick was a heck of an athlete on the field and the court and is an even better guy. The Highlanders are lucky to have him on staff.

Glad to hear that about Broderick. He is a really good guy, and I bet he is a great coach. We need to figure out a way to get him back to Greeneville as a coach.

Did Greeneville play up in the past? If so why?

In Northeast TN, Greeneville, Elizabethton, Unicoi Co, and Johnson Co all chose to play up. I believe they chose to play up for two reasons: rivals and/or more money. Both Greeneville and Elizabethton fared pretty well playing up although some years it hurt them as well.

By first glance the 4A bracket is the weakest it's looked in 3 years. Anything can happen, but I expect Greeneville probably won't face much of a challenge unless they make to the state championship game. Anything less than a championship appearance I think would be a disappointment this year. Next year, will probably be a bigger challenge seeing as how they'll be losing several of those players on defense. But if the 4A bracket remains the way it's been since the implementation of the Z plan, Greeneville will probably make it to at least the quarterfinals even in down years. I don't, however, expect TSSAA to continue with this z plan past 2012. They'll probably go back to 5 classes.

In Northeast TN, Greeneville, Elizabethton, Unicoi Co, and Johnson Co all chose to play up. I believe they chose to play up for two reasons: rivals and/or more money. Both Greeneville and Elizabethton fared pretty well playing up although some years it hurt them as well.

By first glance the 4A bracket is the weakest it's looked in 3 years. Anything can happen, but I expect Greeneville probably won't face much of a challenge unless they make to the state championship game. Anything less than a championship appearance I think would be a disappointment this year. Next year, will probably be a bigger challenge seeing as how they'll be losing several of those players on defense. But if the 4A bracket remains the way it's been since the implementation of the Z plan, Greeneville will probably make it to at least the quarterfinals even in down years. I don't, however, expect TSSAA to continue with this z plan past 2012. They'll probably go back to 5 classes.

If they do go back to the 5 classes, do you think Greeneville will play where they are put in 3A or move back up to 4a where they use to play before the Z-Plan?

If Greeneville would have been playing in 3A for all those years there would have been alot more gold and silver balls to show off

If they do go back to the 5 classes, do you think Greeneville will play where they are put in 3A or move back up to 4a where they use to play before the Z-Plan?

If Greeneville would have been playing in 3A for all those years there would have been alot more gold and silver balls to show off

Greeneville used to be 3A.The problem is that was when there were only 1A,2A,3A and Greeneville was still a smaller school.It doesn't matter anyway,Greeneville has got theirs and everyone else can worry about the little stuff,like how to win their own state title.I'm proud and this whole area is pretty much proud of the Devils for doing something that was last done by Tennessee High in the early seventies.Greeneville shouldn't even give a tinkers Nolichucky dam what somebody else thinks about the "" ALL TIME HIGHEST SCORING and DEFENDING STATE CHAMPIONS ""!!!!!