McCallie at MUS

oldwiseone

Good game - MUS deserved the win - played well - have to reserve comments about the McCallie decision to punt in the 3rd quarter with a 4th down and 20" to go.....turning point of the game without a doubt. Reminder to Bubba (McCallies Coach) -- one loss and you are out in the playoffs!

Hurts......

Punt coverage - WR play - Guts by Coaching staff = D

MUS the better team - good clean play - similar quality kids - even the MUS announcers were (by far) the best -- they were homers, but gave credit to the other team when deserved - appreciated that!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good game - MUS deserved the win - played well - have to reserve comments about the McCallie decision to punt in the 3rd quarter with a 4th down and 20" to go.....turning point of the game without a doubt. Reminder to Bubba (McCallies Coach) -- one loss and you are out in the playoffs!

Hurts......

Punt coverage - WR play - Guts by Coaching staff = D

MUS the better team - good clean play - similar quality kids - even the MUS announcers were (by far) the best -- they were homers, but gave credit to the other team when deserved - appreciated that!

I too was surprised at the 4th down punt. Guess the coach decided it was still too early to role the dice and wanted to try to pin MUS deep, something which McCallie did several times and almost did several more times. If you don't make it, with a 17 point deficit (24-7) and midfield position for the Owls, it may be over. If you do make it, you still are almost 50 yards out. But it was NOT the turning point. That was late in the second quarter when MUS fumbled the ball away at the 5 yard line then McCallie fumbled it back to MUS on the 1 foot line and it was returned almost to midfield. MUS went on to score to lead at half 14-7. Could have been the other way around and a totally different game, possibly a barnburner.

Glad you enjoyed the broadcast. It is first rate. Of course the announcers were "homers" - it was a regular weekly MUS broadcast for MUS fans - what did you expect? They are all former MUS players and/or coaches. They give insight into the game that many don't or can't. But you did notice they called it "both ways" as they say. And surely you noticed the excellent video quality.

I was particularly impressed with McCallie's excellent execution and general lack of mistakes. The QB Lusk was most impressive, with his coolness, smart option choices, and passing accuracy. It took a long time for MUS to figure out a way to disrupt him a little. It was a good, clean, hotly contested game and fun to watch, relatively mistake-free on both sides, almost devoid of penalties, and most of all, nobody had to be carted off the field.

Edited by owlbooster

Glad you enjoyed the broadcast. It is first rate. Of course the announcers were "homers" - it was a regular weekly MUS broadcast for MUS fans - what did you expect? They are all former MUS players and/or coaches. They give insight into the game that many don't or can't. But you did notice they called it "both ways" as they say. And surely you noticed the excellent video quality.

I am not going to profess that I watch every webcast in the state* and/or listen to every radio crew out there, but (1) the MUS feeds always have been the most consistently fluid ones I have seen, and (2) the MUS broadcasters have always been well-informed, knowledgeable, and very adept at tempering their natural homer-ism at the right times (I first noticed this at the 2008 MBA-MUS playoff game in Memphis, which my MUS friend gladly spared me from witnessing much of the second half of that game with a trip to Rendezvous for ribs and luke-warm pitchers...but we did have to listen to the rest of the game on the radio on the way).

* As an aside, I do find it somewhat humorous to read some of the posters on here - one in particular who fancies himself as a national guru - who talk about all the teams and games they have seen across the nation, as if they and they alone are privy to such games (almost as if they travel like Santa Claus to multiple games across multiple states on Friday nights). To be able to watch high school games online, and even on TV, is absolutely awesome - who would have ever thought it 10 years ago? - even if it has made some people some self-professed national gurus of high school football.

But it was NOT the turning point. That was late in the second quarter when MUS fumbled the ball away at the 5 yard line then McCallie fumbled it back to MUS on the 1 foot line and it was returned almost to midfield. MUS went on to score to lead at half 14-7. Could have been the other way around and a totally different game, possibly a barnburner.

Sorry, but I disagree. While the McCallie fumble at the 18" line was huge, it was still only a 7 point game at the half....McCallie was in the game. When they punted in the 4th quarter was (in my opinion) a huge mistake and sent the wrong message to the team.

And I wasn't being critical by calling the announcers homers....of course they were. I was being complimentary of their acknowledgement of good plays by their opponent. That is not typical at all for high school broadcasts. Well done.

Sorry, but I disagree. While the McCallie fumble at the 18" line was huge, it was still only a 7 point game at the half....McCallie was in the game. When they punted in the 4th quarter was (in my opinion) a huge mistake and sent the wrong message to the team.

And I wasn't being critical by calling the announcers homers....of course they were. I was being complimentary of their acknowledgement of good plays by their opponent. That is not typical at all for high school broadcasts. Well done.

We can agree to disagree. The fumble led to a 14 point "swing" as they say and deflated a very excited and hopeful team and crowd (I was sitting with the McCallie fans) at least temporarily - MUS went down the field to score relatively easily and the cheering fans were silenced. I agree that the punt was a wrong call but secondary to the TO as a turning point. For what it's worth, the announcers on the postgame show also thought the TO was the turning point.

I did not take your "homer" comment as criticism.

Edited by owlbooster

Well, at this point, all I have to say is good luck to MUS. I think you have a classy school, classy fans, and a classy football program. I am rooting for you to win it all. Go Owls!

And if you end up playing the other school in Chattanooga that resides behind the Walmart - please kick their a**.

Peace!

Thanks for the kind words. Ditto for McCallie, although you did lure my favorite teacher away from MUS many years ago, and he ended up marrying a McCallie to boot! People ask me why I frequently sit on the visitors' side. My reply - to meet and greet the great fans from other schools. I can sit with MUS folk any ole time.

Sorry you and Bluemom didn't make it. At least you got to see one of our broadcasts, which IMO are second to none.