Tullahoma Play Calling?

wildcatdude

This is as lame a thread as I have seen on Coach T. Perfect example of how you cowards behind the keyboard start bashing coaches. None of you are coaches. None of you know what you are talking about.

Ask anyone who has coached against John Olive at Tullahoma if Tullahoma has been well-prepared and played to and beyond the team's ability. Without exception, these coaches will tell you Tullahoma played well, found the other team's weakness, and was well-respected.

I should not even post here because it brings attention to this complete nonsense.

In case you did not know it, criticism (good, bad, unjust, unfair, excessive, wrong, etc.) comes with the job of coaching. In case I have missed out on something with all the sports I have followed over the years. I have not known of any coach who has not been exposed to such (even the very best of coaches). And believe it or not, that criticism comes from all over the place: water coolers, barber shops, beauty salons, cook outs, in the media like the newspaper, radio, tv, and yes even on internet talk forums. Are all those people "cowards" too because they talk about the coach and question his play calling? Can you honestly say that you have never questioned a coach's play calling? Or whether a coach's decision had a negative impact on a game? If you have not, then you are rare indeed. Indeed!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All plays are designed to be successful.

Yes, but are so if called under the right circumstances. For instance, if it is 4th down and you are on your opponents one yard line with the ball. You are down by 5 points and there is only 7 seconds left in the game. If the call you make on this 4th and one situation after coming out of a time out is to line up in punt formation and punt the ball, then everyone would could consider that an idiotic decision. There is a time to punt the ball on 4th and one and a time not to. Those are the kinds of tough decisions that coaches have to make and if they make some odd ball decisions with their play calling, then they will get criticized for it.

So 85% of Tullahoma's wins since '93 were against teams with less than .500 winning percentage? I doubt this is true. I do think it is to Tullahoma's disadvantage that the quality of good teams is lacking in that part of the mid-state. Lincoln Co is down, Franklin Co has not been very good for a long time. Coffee Co and Warren Co...well......These teams are scheduled for revenue and past history. They will not help you get prepared for the playoffs. Centennial is a good team that was made better by the competition from their district and schedule. Normally, I don't think Centennial is 24 points better than Tullahoma but they were Friday night, which is all that counts. Community schools like Tullahoma, Shelbyville, etc and mid-state county schools will have a difficult time competing with Rutherford and Williamson Co. teams on a consistant basis.

Tullahoma has a good coach, nice facilities, great support and a competitive program. This makes the 'have nots' jelious and envious. Even if they can't call plays!!!!!!!!!

No I could not do a better job as a great man for the community and the kids. I think coach Olive is a great man; with that said I also think he has lost control of his staff. Im tired of hearing him take the blame for everything we do wrong.I don't care what you say. Poor Coaching has cost us dearly over the last few years and that's a fact.

I've never coached football but I would assume it's a rather difficult job. I make decisions in my business daily with a lot more time than 25 seconds to do so. I would expect that sometimes you're going to miss it and miss it big. I have and will continue to miss a few calls even though I have days, weeks, and occassionaly months to make decisions based on what I believe to be right at the time. I've had 2 sons and a nephew play for Coach Olive and his staff. The two statements that jump out at me are those highlighted. Both my sons and nephew all had different position coaches and I don't believe that they would have received better coaching ANYWHERE. The other statement is you being tired of Coach Olive taking the blame for everything we do wrong.....in my book, and anybody that has CHARACTER and INTEGRITY, would presumeably say that is a quality that a strong leader displays. I'm not exactly clear what you meant by saying that he has "lost control of his staff". You might consider clarifying or re-phrasing such a statement. You are entitled to your opinion and most of us respect that, but don't sound like an ill parent because your son did not get the playing time you thought he should have. I will continue to support my Wildcat Football Program and Coach Olive and his staff. They are competitive, but more importantly, they are fine examples of what a coach ought to be.

I could say a lot in this thread, but I won't. I have done some research and found out that there are no PERFECT coaches in the world and I kinda like our staff of IMPERFECT coaches.

Your right, I've never saw a perfectly officiated game, a perfectly coached game or a perfectly played game. But I still love watching and wouldn't trade Blackmans coaching staff or players for any team I've watched this year. Most coaches get too much credit and too much blame for what happens on the field. In sports talent rules. The team with the most, most often win. Talent is something you're born with, no coach gave it to you. The teams that are playing three weeks from now will have had a little luck and have a lot of talent. That's just the way the games designed.

And the fans, well we know everything and would never miss a call, play or tackle. :popcorneater:

PEACE OUT!

Edited by DaBlueRaider

Your right, I've never saw a perfectly officiated game, a perfectly coached game or a perfectly played game. But I still love watching and wouldn't trade Blackmans coaching staff or players for any team I've watched this year. Most coaches get too much credit and too much blame for what happens on the field. In sports talent rules. The team with the most, most often win. Talent is something you're born with, no coach give it to you. The teams that are playing three week from now will have had a little luck and have a lot of talent. That's just the way the games designed.

And the fans, well we know everything and would never miss a call, play or tackle. :popcorneater:

PEACE OUT!

Good post, raider, and nice spelling on the peace out...;)

The consistency that John Olive's Tullahoma football teams have displayed during his 19 years at the helm is amazing, with 16 of those seasons ending in a trip to the playoffs. Ask a fan of any school in southern middle Tennessee if they would take that and you know what the answer will be - a resounding yes.

Despite playing in different regions and districts and classifications, from linking up against David Lipscomb, Goodpasture, and Smyrna every week to Maplewood and Overton and Hillsboro, to Columbia, John Olive's team have always been in the hunt.

10 of the 11 teams the Wildcats faced this year were from schools that had significantly larger populations than Tullahoma High School has. I don't mean just a few more, I'm talking hundreds more. Tullahoma is headed towards a Class 4A population soon, although I expect the 'Cats to play up to 5A anyway.

During the six years that Region 5-4A was comprised of metro schools, by far the dominant team was Hillsboro. The Burros lost only one region game during that span - to Tullahoma, and it came the year after Hillsboro won the state title. The Wildcats also beat Columbia last year on its way to the state title.

John Olive has no choice in what region or district the Wildcats play in, and he has no choice in scheduling Coffee County and Warren County. You should not take for granted the fact that Tullahoma is almost always smaller than its opponent, and often not as fast as its opponent, yet it is usually in better shape and tougher than its opponent.

Do you think that happens by chance? Funny how it almost never happens in the towns and schools surrounding Tullahoma, despite coaching change after coaching change.

Take out the six turnovers against Centennial and I'm guessing the play calling looks pretty good.

The play calling against Centennial was fine. Nerves caused the execution to be off. Tullahoma was a good team, a great program, and a fantastic facility.

Centennial had the advantage of speed and playing in a tougher district. Their schedule had multiple 6A teams on it, 5 or 6 I think. Centennial has not lost to a 5A team this season. Their record is very deceptive.

I didn't see Tullahoma vs. Centennial, and wouldn't criticize play selection if I had. However , I did post on Tullahoma v. Lawrence Co. topic, speaking well of Coach Olive. Then at Lawco game with 5 minutes left in game. Lawrence co. had acored a couple of times against Tullahoma subs. recovered an onside kick and Tullahoma sent the starters back in. I say this not to question Tullahoma's decision but only to point out that "what goes around usually comes around" Karma is amazing. Tullahoma beat Lawco 41-14 instead of 41-21 or 41-28 .. Congratulations Centeenial .

From an outsiders point of view (if you're interested), I thought the Tullahoma coaches did a pretty good job. This comes from a media guy who has followed all the Wilco teams this year and has some really good and some really bad coaches over the course of 11 games.

Don't blame the coach(es) for one bad night. I had the picked as a toss-up and I sure didn't see the turnovers coming. Sometimes in this game, things start to snowball in some games and you can't blame coaching or players. It's one of those things.

For whatever it's worth, I had a lot of respect for the Tullahoma program going into the game; I came away with even more.