BA vs. Christian Brothers

nike7

A number of posters have asserted that BA has the most/best talent every year. Ergo, the argument that the coaches are at fault for the Eagles not doing better. I personally don't know anything about the relative talent levels; that judgment would best be made by the coaches, but I know the active ones are encouraged not to post. I would love to hear what the inactive or retired coaches think.

CBHS is by far the largest school in IIAA. They do well perennially in most sports, e.g. baseball, yet since IIAA was formed they rarely have excelled in football, which is a numbers game. That is more surprising to me than BA's recent dearth of gold balls.

Edited by owlbooster

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe BA should have their baseball coach take over the football program. He seems to be able to get more out of his players then most, and he certainly knows how to win big games and championships. Just saying...

BA was not highly successful in baseball until they hired Chandler Gannick back as the top assistant. They were a very up and down team but when Gannick started coaching they began to believe that they should win.

Is Potter on the HOT SEAT?

BA was not highly successful in baseball until they hired Chandler Gannick back as the top assistant. They were a very up and down team but when Gannick started coaching they began to believe that they should win.

Is Potter on the HOT SEAT?

The only answer I can give you is that there's a lot of grumbling going on. Then again, it's not like they have a losing record. Can a coach be on the hot seat for winning 7-8 games every year?

Lots of arguments going on in this thread and certainly do not want to start another. A few of the "skill" guys were the young ones on BA - they were not the majority. Three out of 4 boys on the OL were srs and much of the defense was upperclassman so they were not as young as many think. And actually the jr class has quite a lot of talent. And like previous BA teams, we seem to decide only 3-4 boys can handle the skill roles instead of utilizing all of the kids who have strong skills. We then continue to try to "force" the plays that way and teams know it and focus on it. Or one gets hurt and we aren't ready to deal with it. I could care less about who won the most c-ships and most games and so on. The bottom line, the BA coaching staff is not getting it done nor are we developing players to their full potential, and bldg confidence amongst the boys. Someone else said it - encouragement is not a well used action. We (or at least i do) need to put it in perspective though, it is only HS football and life means much more, although of course these young men work hard for yrs on end to be successful.

Life goes on.

I agree, BA does not seem to use the best of their best at times, and to be honest, I don't get to see every game. I watch as many as I can. I am not saying that coach is a horrible person. I barely know him, but he seems to under acheive, on a consistent basis, when it comes to big games. You just hear a lot of complaining, from long time fans and parents, that he isn't a very good judge of talent. Evidentially not. I just think he is in over his head. He has had similiar problems over the past few years. A good coach would have made the changes necessary to turn the corner, in several areas. I will be there next season, cheering my team on, just not as confident as I use to be. So toss this out there, what changes could he have made,,, to beat a team he was predicted to win by most everyone? I have a few opinions, but I would like to know what others think.

The only answer I can give you is that there's a lot of grumbling going on. Then again, it's not like they have a losing record. Can a coach be on the hot seat for winning 7-8 games every year?

Yes, a coach can be on the hot seat for having 7 or 8 wins per season. BA has very high expectations for their football program. All BA has to do is take a short walk to the back of campus and knock on Carlton's door and he will fix their problems.

I definitely think Ralph is on the hot seat. His teams have underperformed every year since he has taken over. His first couple of years they still made the state championship, but the further removed from Coach Flatt, the further the teams have come from a state championship. I don't think this is because of a talent, because BA has continued to be one of the most talented teams but things continue to worsen. Coach Potter is also a tyrant in the coaching staff. He controls everything on offense...everything, and he refuses any kind of input from anyone else.

IMO, if there was to be a coaching change I would say it should be a promotion from within the current staff. I'd love to have Coach Jason Matthews or Coach Jack Pittman be given the chance to be the head coach.

IMO, if there was to be a coaching change I would say it should be a promotion from within the current staff. I'd love to have Coach Jason Matthews or Coach Jack Pittman be given the chance to be the head coach.

Both are great picks. They are respected by the players.

I think BA needs a full-time offensive coordinator. Let Potter wear the head coach/athletic director hat but hire a OC do run the offense.

BA made a couple of mistakes last night that comes from lack of discipline or communication from the coaches. BA goes for two in the 4th qtr but burns a time out because the play was not properly set. Then on the kick off there are 12 men on the field! This was the 12th game of the year not the 2nd scrimmage of the year. Those mistakes are just a few of the many this year and last year that are caused by lack of discipline or communication. Whose fault?

Both are great picks. They are respected by the players.

I think BA needs a full-time offensive coordinator. Let Potter wear the head coach/athletic director hat but hire a OC do run the offense.

BA made a couple of mistakes last night that comes from lack of discipline or communication from the coaches. BA goes for two in the 4th qtr but burns a time out because the play was not properly set. Then on the kick off there are 12 men on the field! This was the 12th game of the year not the 2nd scrimmage of the year. Those mistakes are just a few of the many this year and last year that are caused by lack of discipline or communication. Whose fault?

I don't think he could take not having the full power/final say. It's his way or the high way.