2011 Arby's Classic

MentorFan

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

75-72 Christ School, NC beats CPA as Hale blocks Lindsey's "would-be" game tying 3-pointer to end the game.

BIGGEST MOMENT OF THE GAME

With 1:24 remaining in what was a 67-67 tie game CPA's Robet Brown pulls a "Chris Webber" and calls for a timeout when CPA is out of timeouts. CPA receives a technical foul.

CPA had battled back from several deficits to tie the game and they had the basketball with a chance to take the lead when this happened. It was a major mistake and one that I personally believe cost the Lions a shot at winning the Arby's Classic.

Two Things:

First in the CPA, Christ game who looked to be the best player on the court?

Second any score predictions for the final game?

The best player on the court was Bradshaw from CPA. Hairston from Christ had a great game in helping his team get the win.

Mentor, OH will win tomorrow by 15-20 points. They are by far and away the best team in the field.

As a local fan with no affiliation to any of the teams in the semi-finals tonight, I'd like to opine about the officiating. First, I thought the Mentor-Charlotte Christian game was well officiated (even if Henson was part of the crew - I'm not a fan of his but I do give credit where credit is due). Secondly, I thought the officiating in the CPA/Christ game was substandard. A game of this magnitude deserves better. Woods and Franklin were particularly bad tonight. The lead official (I don't know his name) did a good job. However, Woods and Franklin were inconsistent all night, especially in calling fouls. Specifically, there were numerous times when offensive players from both teams were molested (fouled hard) right in front of them with no whistle. At other times, they both whistled defenders for ticky-tack infractions. Both had a hard time deciphering which player knocked the ball out of bounds on numerous occasions and each were overturned more than once. Although CPA squandered opportunities by missing FTs, I thought the last nail in the coffin was when Bradshaw picked up his 4th and 5th fouls (both called by Franklin - 1 he was out of position) on what appeared to be good block attempts. Sure there was some incidental contact, but that's normally allowed by the officials when teams of this caliber play.

Also, my two cents worth on Hale and Allen (former SH players now at Christ School). I don't know who their handlers are, but they may have been given some bad advice in moving. Both are good athletes and quality players, but in my humble opinion they both need SIGNIFICANT improvement to play major D1 ball. I'd say mid-major is a fit for Hale (he has skill but is way too soft for the SEC) and a stretch for Allen (not really 6'3" as the program listed him and not a point guard at the next level) right now. The best player on the floor tonight in this contest was the Bradshaw kid from CPA and he is a Belmont commitment.

75-72 Christ School, NC beats CPA as Hale blocks Lindsey's "would-be" game tying 3-pointer to end the game.

BIGGEST MOMENT OF THE GAME

With 1:24 remaining in what was a 67-67 tie game CPA's Robet Brown pulls a "Chris Webber" and calls for a timeout when CPA is out of timeouts. CPA receives a technical foul.

CPA had battled back from several deficits to tie the game and they had the basketball with a chance to take the lead when this happened. It was a major mistake and one that I personally believe cost the Lions a shot at winning the Arby's Classic.

I'm not sure that I would call it a "Chris Webber" Brown actually made an awesome play saving a bad pass and calling timeout as he was heading out of bounds. The ball would have been a turnover anyway if he had not called a timeout.

As a local fan with no affiliation to any of the teams in the semi-finals tonight, I'd like to opine about the officiating. First, I thought the Mentor-Charlotte Christian game was well officiated (even if Henson was part of the crew - I'm not a fan of his but I do give credit where credit is due). Secondly, I thought the officiating in the CPA/Christ game was substandard. A game of this magnitude deserves better. Woods and Franklin were particularly bad tonight. The lead official (I don't know his name) did a good job. However, Woods and Franklin were inconsistent all night, especially in calling fouls. Specifically, there were numerous times when offensive players from both teams were molested (fouled hard) right in front of them with no whistle. At other times, they both whistled defenders for ticky-tack infractions. Both had a hard time deciphering which player knocked the ball out of bounds on numerous occasions and each were overturned more than once. Although CPA squandered opportunities by missing FTs, I thought the last nail in the coffin was when Bradshaw picked up his 4th and 5th fouls (both called by Franklin - 1 he was out of position) on what appeared to be good block attempts. Sure there was some incidental contact, but that's normally allowed by the officials when teams of this caliber play.

Also, my two cents worth on Hale and Allen (former SH players now at Christ School). I don't know who their handlers are, but they may have been given some bad advice in moving. Both are good athletes and quality players, but in my humble opinion they both need SIGNIFICANT improvement to play major D1 ball. I'd say mid-major is a fit for Hale (he has skill but is way too soft for the SEC) and a stretch for Allen (not really 6'3" as the program listed him and not a point guard at the next level) right now. The best player on the floor tonight in this contest was the Bradshaw kid from CPA and he is a Belmont commitment.

The worst call of the game came in the last minute when the Christ School coach pointed out to the refs that Bradshaw had a spot of blood on his uniform that had been there since the first quarter and had already been treated and disinfected by the medical staff on hand. The refs forced Bradshaw out of the game to get the spot retreated. Pretty cheap shot by the Christ School coach and very bad case of referring.

I'm not sure that I would call it a "Chris Webber" Brown actually made an awesome play saving a bad pass and calling timeout as he was heading out of bounds. The ball would have been a turnover anyway if he had not called a timeout.

Turning the ball over there is better than giving the other team 2 technical foul shots and then being forced to foul defensively after you are trailing following the technical free throws.

A turnover would have given Christ School the basketball with the game tied and 1:24 to go.

Those are hardly what I would call "similar" situations!