Proposal submitted by Siegel

Indian

This will lead to a greatly reduced number of AAU travel teams and thus limit opportunities for athletes in the off season. Many high school coaches can only afford to make a living if they supplement their high school salary with their travel ball salary. Moreover, it will limit athletes ability to even recieve training in the offseason from very qualified "trainers" who happen to coach high school ball.

This is an absolutely ridiculous over-the-top "solution" for a problem that is quite rare. It may also violate laws by limiting an individual's ability to work. Coaches should be talking to their athletic directors and telling them the shut this terrible idea down.

Go overboard a little bit do we? This proposal would not limit any of the stuff you said. All it does is stop players from transfering and playing at other high schools in order to follow their AAU coach. That simple.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds reasonable. When does this go in effect?

The devil is in the details. Can think of numerous exceptions that have happened over the past 5 years that need to be thought out. Change of legal guardianship which effected change of residence and school and was on a team in the first school. Homeschooled? When is a middle schooler determined to have made a selection of a school? Change of school due to course of study not offered???? Private School change both before entering high school and after entering high school. Edited by PHargis

The ones deeply opposed to this, I wish we could hear what teams they root for/are connected with :twisted:

Most people can't afford to transfer their child to another school whether it be across town, to another district or what ever. The number of kids that will be actually affected as opposed to how many play across the state seems not worth the legislation of it(also the kids moving out of state for this very reason is a mute subject). If parents, (whom should) have the final say in what is best for their child, where he/she goes to school (for what ever reason) why is there question? If the move gives the child a better opportunity to succeed then that should be it. Mom, Dad and child decide(?), can make it happen(?), not breaking any laws(?)period end of dilemma. To draw my 2 cents to conclusion, coach the kids that want to be there, wish the ones that feel somewhere else suits them better farewell and good luck. Let parents choose whats best for their child and let government at what ever level stay out of personal lives and decisions.

"That's all I have to say about that"(Forest Gump)

Most people can't afford to transfer their child to another school whether it be across town, to another district or what ever. The number of kids that will be actually affected as opposed to how many play across the state seems not worth the legislation of it(also the kids moving out of state for this very reason is a mute subject). If parents, (whom should) have the final say in what is best for their child, where he/she goes to school (for what ever reason) why is there question? If the move gives the child a better opportunity to succeed then that should be it. Mom, Dad and child decide(?), can make it happen(?), not breaking any laws(?)period end of dilemma. To draw my 2 cents to conclusion, coach the kids that want to be there, wish the ones that feel somewhere else suits them better farewell and good luck. Let parents choose whats best for their child and let government at what ever level stay out of personal lives and decisions.

GUMP, Your a genius. Good Post

Really?I always thought West Tenn was among the worst paid people in the Stste overall but I can name at least 20 players from our area that has gone to other schools with most of them being 20 miles away.

TC, your post is a very good post and your AAU club is widely known of in the State. Without organizations like yours, and others, girls basketball would not be what it is today and any high school Coach who says other is not being fair. To be fair, from a technical point of view, you and your cohorts, have an advantage with the time per year you spend with the players who have an interest. Some start at 9YO and play 5-6 months a year and with the High School Coach who spends about the same time and has to deal with the school issues, players who generally the best athletes, get the best of all worlds in Girls Basketball.

Rules by the TSSAA have been made for some reason or they would not be there.Schools sign off on them for many resons. Its just like driving a car, going to class, making their grades and a myrid of others. Schools look at it and have to, as teaching a student/Athlete to be a great citizen. A Principal and its teachers are responsible for good grades, good work habits and finding the many ways to guide a student thru some tough years. And if something happens to the student thru these years, the community of the school feels sad for the student and their family as much as any one. A lot of time is invested in the student.

As you know the same somewhat is done with the AAU community. I would agree if the parents want to move to make sure their child goes to a certain school, they can and should do it within the rules of the schools. Thats a part of the decision and when to do it. Transferring is the right of anyone, I would think, to make a student the best they can be.Fill out the forms to see if there is an opening and do it. Transferring for a sport is just a decision that has a few more potholes. The vote in East Tennessee was a vote in East Tennessee. The vote in Middle and Jackson is another vote. This likely is a vote which says 50% right now think its the right choice with some tweaking as far as the coaches are concerned. Its possible that a transfer can be made but maybe to a school that is not acceptable to every one. Thats all right. Not everything works out exactly right every time. The school may not be able to make it happen. Very conviently period, end of delima sometimes doesn't work.

I can assure you I think the parents should help decide this and be given the options. The schools should have the options. They are the ones that are going to have to be the one to make this work.

You are an AAU coach. Whether you are a high school coach, I would doubt it. Or either you or your assistant might be a non faculty. Or you would be breaking a lot of TSSAA rules your school has signed off on to comply. Thats their duty. School zoning rules are rules. Certainly school systens try to make things work out and if one thing does not work out another might. Some one would have to get approval, the School. It appears to this poster that you, an AAU Coach, could be insisting that you might be able to place your players in whatever school you want to maybe load up a school with your players. You might say, 'no that is not right'. I would have to take your word that is not what you are doing. Different schools have had this happen different ways. Whatever rules wind up being "The Rules", this has been going on a long time and changing little by little

till its what it is. This is on a GBB thread but I would say there might be a problem with Boys even more.

Edited by PHargis

Really?I always thought West Tenn was among the worst paid people in the Stste overall but I can name at least 20 players from our area that has gone to other schools with most of them being 20 miles away.

MB, I'm glad you posted this. I kept watching your District and I couldn't see how you were getting away with that except the real estate market must be good. Realisticly, what direction were they headed. This means someone is going to have scout Middle Schools a little better and earlier. Twenty players about 20 miles away and the Mississippi River sure is a barrier in one direction. Lot of cooperation going on over there.

MB, I'm glad you posted this. I kept watching your District and I couldn't see how you were getting away with that except the real estate market must be good. Realisticly, what direction were they headed. This means someone is going to have scout Middle Schools a little better and earlier. Twenty players about 20 miles away and the Mississippi River sure is a barrier in one direction. Lot of cooperation going on over there.

Lake Co has lost about 7 students to a school 20 miles away this year alone.It's not all about basketball though.Most of these from Lake Co are football and baseball players.But the thing is that they live in Lake Co and drive over 20 miles to the school.Have lost a few others the past several seasons to this school and basketball players from Lake Co to another school in the same county is past years.Plus they are pulling in students from Halls,Gibson Co,Obion co.I could name about 20 but overall,I'd say close to 50 students from other counties.I think this is a step in the right direction.But in the case here,all that will happen is they''ll continue to have open gym and have a local business man that owns a chicken wing place,coach the AAU team and it still will filter back to this same school.Still think the TSSAA needs to make students go to where they are zoned,even as freshmen and then if they want to attend that other county,sit out a year.

The vote:

Student will be ineligible for one calendar year regardless of bona fide change of residence, if they play independent basketball (AAU, etc) with a high school coach and then transfer to the school where that coach (faculty or non-faculty) is coaching.

Knoxville 70-32-2

Jackson 30-55-0

Nashville 68-40-1

TOTAL 168-127-3

TSSAA basketball coaches (faculty and non-faculty) will not be allowed to coach their own players or players from other high schools in independent basketball (AAU, etc.) during the off-season. This applies to rising 9th through 12th graders.

Knoxville 72-32

Jackson 11-74

Nashville 46-63

Total 129-169

Big,you think your situation is not right. its minor compared to some. Its obvious that a vast majority is following rules but many aren't. Then if you slap on top of it Private Schools doing the same thing which is likely to have some bearing on Publics, one can see exactly where the trend was coming from. The answer????, sorry folks this is just the start and I am for students and parents doing what they want but try to manage where you live and keep up with the zone you live in and keep the politicians following the rules right now. And be active in your school board meetings and your District Commissioners. Keep your schools teaching at the highest level they can. Don't expect mediocracy.