Proposal submitted by Siegel

Indian

I can explain that and for good reason. Those two areas have a lot of non faculty coaches that carry over into summer programs. Schools have had problems in hiring teachers qualified to teach a subject and coach a sport needed. A lot of schools have taken an easy approach. many schools still think the teacher coach is the right thing to do. Rules the schools have to go by, still have to go by rules on Non Faculty Coaches and even in a non faculty coach situation, a faculty representive(teacher) has to be involved on the coaching staff. They get paid. Pay to do both seems to be thought to be not very high. thats another subject. In all fairnesss, if a coach is coaching for the money and cannot get reimbursed, he/she is in the wrong business. That is why schools now use seperate accounting programs for their athletics under a Booster Club account. All of this sounds complicated but reasonable. It gave schools a way to take the money off of the school account and let Boosters get involved in the situations and the solutions. Having buinesses in communities sponser events is not something new. Boosters work, coaches work, players work and everything gets taken care of. this is a personal thing and for sure not agreed with by a lot of people.

Edited by PHargis

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i haven't sen many high schoool coaches doing summer ball (AAU or YBOA) with high school age kids. i seen a few working with up and comming 9th graders. matter of fact hard to find teams that don't have assication with a high school. ie all kids plan on playing for same school only way to get on certain summer programs.

Edited by forgetfulcub

i haven't sen many high schoool coaches doing summer ball (AAU or YBOA) with high school age kids. i seen a few working with up and comming 9th graders. matter of fact hard to find teams that don't have assication with a high school. ie all kids plan on playing for same school only way to get on certain summer programs.

Ditto.

• 4 weeks later...

So looks like no change here....... My opinion good decision. We expect our student athletes to work hard! Don't penalize them or a coach that does also!

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

TSSAA Legislative Council Minutes

Denied proposals concerning students playing independent basketball with teams and then coaches of independent teams coaching at that school.

Proposals were as follows:

(1) Student will be ineligible for one calendar year regardless of bona fide change of residence, if they play independent basketball (AAU, etc) with a high school coach and then transfers to the school where that coach (faculty or non-faculty) is coaching.

(2) TSSAA basketball coaches (faculty and non-faculty) will be allowed to coach their own players or players from other high schools in independent basketball (AAU, etc.) during the off-season. This applies to rising 9th through 12th graders.

This is a good post especially if you are a fan of a school who is agressive enough to find ways to do it. Lets admit some things and they are not just in Girls Basketball but in most all High School Sports. What happened earlier in the year with those who in the know, realize is one of the best players or will be in a short very great player, really has nothing to do with this situation. It was done legally with some thought and has been done one way or another for a while. All schools have done it. This was a chance to make it harder to make the change thru the summer program with all of the connections there. And yes it is true that some schools do take advantage of the situations to get great players in summer programs selected together even in the summer. Thats just the way it is and for some who investigate it, the smart play. This was a chance, if there was enough support, to slow this down. Communication as to the reason this did not pass even with the support it had, would be interesting to hear. I can hear those reasons now. Its done and the reasons it was done and who voted for it and the schools who participated in the vote are well known for some reason.

I outlined the schools this school year that seemed very good and it was opbvious that within 40-50 miles of Nashville there were a lot of very good players and teams. Right now, the chances of great players taking the same options that are being taken right now is pretty high. The rules are bent to assure that so why not and as far as I am concerned so what. The same thing happened with AAU a few years back and the teams got fewer and fewer when it was decided to try to get all of these super players on one team or fewer teams. You wind up at that time with schools like Shelbyville, Riverdale, jackson County, Clarksville, Memphis Central, Gibson County, Overton of memphis Morristown West, Science hill, Tennesee, Mt Juliet, Wilson County, and for that matter, many of the D2AA schools. I could name more but its of no use. It has nothing to do with hard working coaches but placement of players and this looked as if to slow down the flow and give players not in areas of AAU involement the same chance as those who were in it. Just look at the posts of some of the players thinking of moving to these areas and the schools there. These questions will continue to come up along with sudden transfers and likely even more. With a area will as many high level players it will be even more. Five DI players on a team in Clarksville and Memphis????? and 5 in other places. This may not be the rule but High School play needs something to keep from packing players on one school and try bringing up talent naturally. Is AAU that??????I would say so. Should AAU condone packing and placing everyone on one team. thats the AAU way and certainly does not fit in with High School. You will just wind up with fewer players with fewer fans and fewer schools competing for championships and wondering why atendance is down and you can't pay for programs. And fans and parents are paying the bill, just maybe a few of them. Greatness has a price and to press getting the best of the best might be hard.

This is a good post especially if you are a fan of a school who is agressive enough to find ways to do it. Lets admit some things and they are not just in Girls Basketball but in most all High School Sports. What happened earlier in the year with those who in the know, realize is one of the best players or will be in a short very great player, really has nothing to do with this situation. It was done legally with some thought and has been done one way or another for a while. All schools have done it. This was a chance to make it harder to make the change thru the summer program with all of the connections there. And yes it is true that some schools do take advantage of the situations to get great players in summer programs selected together even in the summer. Thats just the way it is and for some who investigate it, the smart play. This was a chance, if there was enough support, to slow this down. Communication as to the reason this did not pass even with the support it had, would be interesting to hear. I can hear those reasons now. Its done and the reasons it was done and who voted for it and the schools who participated in the vote are well known for some reason.

I outlined the schools this school year that seemed very good and it was opbvious that within 40-50 miles of Nashville there were a lot of very good players and teams. Right now, the chances of great players taking the same options that are being taken right now is pretty high. The rules are bent to assure that so why not and as far as I am concerned so what. The same thing happened with AAU a few years back and the teams got fewer and fewer when it was decided to try to get all of these super players on one team or fewer teams. You wind up at that time with schools like Shelbyville, Riverdale, jackson County, Clarksville, Memphis Central, Gibson County, Overton of memphis Morristown West, Science hill, Tennesee, Mt Juliet, Wilson County, and for that matter, many of the D2AA schools. I could name more but its of no use. It has nothing to do with hard working coaches but placement of players and this looked as if to slow down the flow and give players not in areas of AAU involement the same chance as those who were in it. Just look at the posts of some of the players thinking of moving to these areas and the schools there. These questions will continue to come up along with sudden transfers and likely even more. With a area will as many high level players it will be even more. Five DI players on a team in Clarksville and Memphis????? and 5 in other places. This may not be the rule but High School play needs something to keep from packing players on one school and try bringing up talent naturally. Is AAU that??????I would say so. Should AAU condone packing and placing everyone on one team. thats the AAU way and certainly does not fit in with High School. You will just wind up with fewer players with fewer fans and fewer schools competing for championships and wondering why atendance is down and you can't pay for programs. And fans and parents are paying the bill, just maybe a few of them. Greatness has a price and to press getting the best of the best might be hard.

To me, having all these D1 players on 1 team is taking the excitement out of the game. Other teams can't compete therefore no one cares when they play, therefore crowds will decrease. I get the feeling even the teams that have all these D1 players on their team have no excitement in their program except the 1 or 2 times a year that they play somebody that can compete with them and maybe the state tournament, therefore there crowds will eventually decrease for the average game. The teams that can't compete with the all star teams have less excitement around the program because they know they are playing for 2nd or 3rd in the district and have no chance of winning a district or state championship. There is a reason that the NBA and NFL want parity. Its because of the excitement it brings to the games and with excitement comes fans and big crowds and with that comes money.

To me, having all these D1 players on 1 team is taking the excitement out of the game. Other teams can't compete therefore no one cares when they play, therefore crowds will decrease. I get the feeling even the teams that have all these D1 players on their team have no excitement in their program except the 1 or 2 times a year that they play somebody that can compete with them and maybe the state tournament, therefore there crowds will eventually decrease for the average game. The teams that can't compete with the all star teams have less excitement around the program because they know they are playing for 2nd or 3rd in the district and have no chance of winning a district or state championship. There is a reason that the NBA and NFL want parity. Its because of the excitement it brings to the games and with excitement comes fans and big crowds and with that comes money.

Blaze, the nail on the head. The skills of the players are not even in question. Comparison of coaches is of some question. Someone wanting the schools to compete for some mythological national title is just an ESPN/USA Today Media Hoax which is now trying to be covered up by the Memphis Media. Those Tennessee Schools falling in to the HYPE of these exposure events are spending their hard earned travel money for things that many Universities already know. The great players are already known and already on the lists and if seniors have already signed. If the Insells have seen or heard of them, they are known everywhere. If someone wants some of those events to be seen in Middle Tennessee, likely no University will be able to do it becasue of NCAA Rules now. But a large scheduled event at a large High School in an accessable area could be managed. But thats even questionble about marketing such an event. Groundwork has been laid with so many Tennessee schools in some of these events. How they can be justified is beyond me because it is well known the skill of Tennessee Coaching and players and how their teams are coached and how they win. Most of these are solid Teams and Players with some of the best Coaches in the Southeast.

The things that will mess up some good things are what you have mentioned. These things about loading up schools does effect a lot of things. Just naturally, great schools with great coaches will attract great players and High School is a little late. Coaches in the mid State have already realized it. Great Middle school Coaches are and have alreeady been found. Destroying the current High School infrastructure is not the answer but playing around with it will certainly effect the consistancey of the product. Of course some may say that that it will bring up the play of all of the schools but other things may have some bearing on that, i.e., some private schools. Now who is the winner there and what is the cost. I look for the transfer situation to elevate with proof of residence turning some strange ways.

But I also see the big schools getting better and the schools getting better because of it. There are pluses. IMO, its possible that with all of the confusion going on with AAU and the scandal, the money is going to run short in AAU and the exposure event thing is going to slow down. Its likely that travel will slow down and the sugar daddy may have slowed. The loading of schools will continue due to ammendments not being passed.

Edited by PHargis

Most people can't afford to transfer their child to another school whether it be across town, to another district or what ever. The number of kids that will be actually affected as opposed to how many play across the state seems not worth the legislation of it(also the kids moving out of state for this very reason is a mute subject). If parents, (whom should) have the final say in what is best for their child, where he/she goes to school (for what ever reason) why is there question? If the move gives the child a better opportunity to succeed then that should be it. Mom, Dad and child decide(?), can make it happen(?), not breaking any laws(?)period end of dilemma. To draw my 2 cents to conclusion, coach the kids that want to be there, wish the ones that feel somewhere else suits them better farewell and good luck. Let parents choose whats best for their child and let government at what ever level stay out of personal lives and decisions.

"That's all I have to say about that"(Forest Gump)

You'd be surprised to see parents come up with the money to see their kids go to a school of their choice.I couldn't afford it either but my son drove 26 miles or 52 miles round trip everyday.And I didn't have the money either but worked more hours.