CAK & Alcoa Part II

FootballDad

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree it will be hard to beat Alcoa twice in one season, that is not what I think the game will turn on. I think you will see a vastly different game from the one a few weeks ago. The key to this game, in my opinion, will be simple, can Alcoa run the ball effectively and keep the ball away from the high powered, quick strike offense of CAK. The last time they played, CAK was able to run the ball and keep it away from Alcoa. Thus Alcoa was not able to grind out 1st down after 1st down on the ground while the CAK offense watched from the sidelines. This was very Alcoa like and all the sports commentators in the area that do high school football were stunned by CAK running the ball so well. Based on listening to the radio, CAK was not very good at running the ball until that game and has been very good since.

So in my opinion, if Alcoa can effectively run the ball, they win, if they cannot, CAK wins.

Oh, as far as I know, Alcoa is healthy entering this game.

AlcoaDad

:motorbike:

I think you have laid out a fundamentally sound analysis. Keep CAK's offense on the sideline while chewing up the clock with long sustained drives much like CAK did to Alcoa last time. True, Alcoa didn't have the ball as much as they are accustom to in the last meeting between these teams, but only in part because of the long sustained drives of CAK. Equally important was the Warrior defense that repeatedly stopped the Tornadoes on 3rd or 4th and short. The Warrior D line and LB's played very well overall. In fact the entire defense is now playing at a very competitive level compared to the first half of the season. Of course Alcoa is going to get their share of big plays, thats only to be expected with the big playmakers they have. I think the key for CAK is to once again win the battle in the trenches and limit the big plays from #15 and #29 and chip away at big #44 coming up the middle and hope he gets a bit leg weary. Also, we must be as efficient on special teams as we were last time and not give up a score on a punt or kick return. That is a tall order to accomplish twice within a month against a heavy weight like Alcoa, but I think that is what it is going to take. Of course, that is assuming CAK will find some offensive success along the way. It will be tough for the Tornadoes to game plan defensively with the running game CAK has found and now that #25 is back on the field. Alcoa has had success in the past at limiting CAK's offense and they will have to find a way to do it again against what many of us consider to be the best offensive team the Warriors have ever had.

I haven't seen the forecast for Friday yet , but do you guys think a dry field will give an advantage to Alcoa , or was the team speed more comparable this year ?

I think the overall team speeds are comparable. Both teams have some fast and elusive players. A dry field helps both teams offensively and hurts both teams defensively IMO.

(From what Ive been able to find) Only two teams have ever been able to defeat Alcoa twice in the same season, so the task CAK has ahead of them is going to be quite the feat. I just hope its not raining and windy again! LOL Im too old for that kinda weather.

It will be quite a feat indeed if CAK beats Alcoa twice in the same season. But, Alcoa has done it to other teams during their current run of championships, including beating CAK twice every year since the re-districting. Each time Alcoa was the host team for the playoff game. So I say, lets keep that streak in tack. The team that won the regular season game and then hosted the playoff game won, and went on to win state. :D

Edited by FootballDad

Who were those teams?

I see where u are going with this.... Yes A-E in 1991, and Harriman in 1997. If there is a rematch its not gonna happen, Alcoa dominated AE this year except for Special Teams, so if ALcoa advances and AE does also Alcoa would love to have another shot at a team that had 60 total yards of offense against them...

Im making out to this one Friday night eventhough i would like to see what a passing team can do on Maryville, i think this will be the best game of the week..

Edited by JebronLames6